Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Alaska on your own - any money saving tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska on your own - any money saving tips?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 2:50 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Who was this with, how did you book it?* True flight-seeing flights are ridiculously expensive.** I've been thinking about going to Yakutat next month and if I could do something similar I would do it in a second. I may be heading down to the Southeast and get on one of the Cessna to get around, some trips it's not that much more expensive then the ferry.

*Edit-I think I answered this myself, probably on Alsek Air Service?

**Edit 2-Meant to say they are still worth it most likely, but if there is an option to go on a scheduled flight in a small aircraft to somewhere scenic it's probably a lot cheaper and will still get some great sights.
Yes, Alsek Air. Great pilot, great flight. I learned to now always check EAS flights wherever I go and see if I can get on one. Alsek takes that route Mon/Wed/Fri in the summer.

If you need a place to stay, try Yakutat Charter Boat Company (Mark). Tell him John the photographer recommended you. He has a great apartment above his shop, only $85/night. Can walk anywhere in town from there. He also has fishing and Hubbard Glacier charters.
Old May 28, 2011, 7:52 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If anyone is interested in some photos from my trip to Juneau and Yakutat earlier this month, you can find them through this link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/johnn.p...eauAndYakutat#
Old May 28, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by fti
Yes, Alsek Air. Great pilot, great flight. I learned to now always check EAS flights wherever I go and see if I can get on one. Alsek takes that route Mon/Wed/Fri in the summer.

If you need a place to stay, try Yakutat Charter Boat Company (Mark). Tell him John the photographer recommended you. He has a great apartment above his shop, only $85/night. Can walk anywhere in town from there. He also has fishing and Hubbard Glacier charters.
Thanks for the info, the other place I was looking at staying in Yakutat is Leonards Landing Lodge. Pretty reasonable at $55-$65, but with shared facilities. The ferry added a new cross gulf trip this year, from Whitter to Bellingham that makes a stop in Yakutat. Figured that it's a good way to get there, and with a roomette it's about the same cost as flying from Anchorage.
Old May 29, 2011, 9:26 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
The ferry added a new cross gulf trip this year, from Whitter to Bellingham that makes a stop in Yakutat. Figured that it's a good way to get there, and with a roomette it's about the same cost as flying from Anchorage.
For me using miles and adding YAK to an already-planned JNU trip was cheaper than the ferry. But in normal circumstances, yes, you are right
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Great food if your a hunter/fisherman@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.