Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

TSA checkpoints in remote Alaska airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

So I've been watching Flying Wild Alaska on the Discovery Channel, and everytime they show the inside of the terminal of one of those remote Alaskan airports, it looks like it's just a small building with a couple check in desks and some chairs. So I was wondering, do these airports have full security checkpoints that they're just not showing on camera, or are the passengers screened when they arrive at their destination (probably ANC) if they're connecting.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I assume that they have full security TSA approved checkpoints.. We were in Waterton, and passed the border by boat. On land, they even had TSA checkpoints there too.. probably as obscure as Alaska.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:17 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although this could be moved to the Travel Safety/Security forum, I'm betting the readers of the Travel->Alaska forum can hone in on this. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Nope. Many remote Alaskan airports do not have tsa checkpoints. You can even bring your coffee on board! Non secured flights arrive and depart from the downstairs concourse at ANC. You then go through security if you're connecting to a mainline flight.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 3:30 pm

TSA in AK

TSA only has a presence at remote airports served by Alaska Airlines. And you only have to go through security if you are flying on Alaska. The lower levels of the Anchorage airport do not have TSA checkpoints either. Fly on Grant Aiation, ERA, or Penair to skip the TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.