Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page >

Anchorage in October - any tours at all?

Old Aug 15, 2010, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MM, OZ, OK

Hi,

I'm just planning a semi-mileage run that would also take me to Alaska for one day or one and a half day in the first week of October. I looked around and found quite some interesting things among the hints you gave - but it seems they all stop operations in September.
Now I'm questioning if it's worth going up to Anchorage for this short time and what I could do there. Are any tours operating which I just haven't found, maybe some flightseeing? Or would you just recomment the city itself?
I'd hate to skip the city as I'm not going to the USA that often...

Any help is much appreciated
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AvroFan
Hi,

I'm just planning a semi-mileage run that would also take me to Alaska for one day or one and a half day in the first week of October. I looked around and found quite some interesting things among the hints you gave - but it seems they all stop operations in September.
Now I'm questioning if it's worth going up to Anchorage for this short time and what I could do there. Are any tours operating which I just haven't found, maybe some flightseeing? Or would you just recomment the city itself?
I'd hate to skip the city as I'm not going to the USA that often...

Any help is much appreciated
Honestly, I'm not sure what touristy things operate here in the wintertime. The answer is: not much. However, there certainly isn't a dearth of things to do, especially if you're into winter sports.

If you're only here for a really short time, however, I'm not sure how much of that you could take advantage of.

The benefit of coming up here in the wintertime is that the cost of visiting Alaska drops to probably 30% of what it is in the summer.

There MAY be some flightseeing options available in the winter. The Anchorage museum downtown is worth a stop and is open year-round.

One of the many sources I've found helpful is http://www.alaska.org. I think they even have a helpline you can call, so if you don't hear from anyone here, try calling them and asking what's available in the winter. It's a nonprofit organization, so I would trust their advice as a bit more impartial than a tour wholesaler.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jackal
Honestly, I'm not sure what touristy things operate here in the wintertime. The answer is: not much. However, there certainly isn't a dearth of things to do, especially if you're into winter sports.

If you're only here for a really short time, however, I'm not sure how much of that you could take advantage of.

The benefit of coming up here in the wintertime is that the cost of visiting Alaska drops to probably 30% of what it is in the summer.

There MAY be some flightseeing options available in the winter. The Anchorage museum downtown is worth a stop and is open year-round.

One of the many sources I've found helpful is http://www.alaska.org. I think they even have a helpline you can call, so if you don't hear from anyone here, try calling them and asking what's available in the winter. It's a nonprofit organization, so I would trust their advice as a bit more impartial than a tour wholesaler.
Your thinking like a local and not a tourist like me!

Even a drive to Seward and back, with a detour to Pourtage glacier would be fun for someone who has never been to AK before. Add the very quick hike to Exit Glacier that is close to Seward while your at it.

With two trips this year (June and July), I'm looking for a 3rd work related trip to come back before the year is over.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Your thinking like a local and not a tourist like me!

Even a drive to Seward and back, with a detour to Pourtage glacier would be fun for someone who has never been to AK before. Add the very quick hike to Exit Glacier that is close to Seward while your at it.

With two trips this year (June and July), I'm looking for a 3rd work related trip to come back before the year is over.
True. The roads south of Anchorage are good enough to drive even in the wintertime (though October is hardly the dead of winter), and the beauty of the route is apparent 365 days a year. Not sure I'd want to hike Exit Glacier in October, though.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MM, OZ, OK
Thanks for the answers. Adding to the short time I wanted to stay and limited offerings were the bad times my flights were arriving and departing. So it seems I will try to find a better time to see Alaska or at least Anchorage. Maybe next year.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Just in case anyone will be in the Seward area late September through October 15, 2010, Major Marine Cruises does offer a three-hour wildlife cruise. It departs daily from September 27 through October 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM and returns at 3:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.