Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seats assigned at airport??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Seats assigned at airport??

First time flying Alaska Airlines here... so, sorry for the possibly silly question, but I was just checking our seat assignments for next weekend (9/11 and 9/13 are the flight dates) and instead of showing the seat map, it stated:

"The seats for this flight will be assigned at the airport. Please continue with transaction."

What does that mean? The itinerary still shows us having assigned seats and they are the same seats we selected before, but I am just curious if this means anything "important".

Thanks!!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Probably the flight is very full... Nothing that exciting

Also it could be the non elite seats are all taken, as the front of the A/C is typically reserved for elite members and those on a full fare (Y)

Last edited by beckoa; Sep 8, 2009 at 12:03 am
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks... but does Alaska typically do that? They won't just show a full seatmap? I'm used to at least seeing a seatmap regardless of "full-ness".
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT

Thanks... but does Alaska typically do that? They won't just show a full seatmap? I'm used to at least seeing a seatmap regardless of "full-ness".
Just further updated my last post...
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Also it could be the non elite seats are all taken, as the front of the A/C is typically reserved for elite members and those on a full fare (Y)
But shouldn't AlaskaAirlines still show the seatmap as full without seats empty intead of just using that cryptic message that I have to get seats at the airport?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I've seen that- that flight, I did NOT end up with an assigned seat (a seat wasn't available when I bought the ticket). Instead, I was in 30F. :\
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
something is screwy as i currently have the same problem and have had an assigned seat/am an elite.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:21 am

But shouldn't AlaskaAirlines still show the seatmap as full without seats empty intead of just using that cryptic message that I have to get seats at the airport?
Originally Posted by brarrr
something is screwy as i currently have the same problem and have had an assigned seat/am an elite.
I am assuming that you both saw this message after you clicked the "Change Seats" link correct? If the message is showing and you have seats asssigned, then there is no need to worry. All it is telling you is that there are no seats to currently choose from and if you would like to inquire about changing seats, you will need to see the agent at the airport. There are seats in certain places that are open for anyone to book. Then there are seats that will show up additionally if you are an MVP or Gold. And then there are other seats that only the gates agents and reservations can assign and you cannot book them online. These seats are held so that the airport or res. can deal with situations that arise at the airport (families with kids seperated, special assistance customers, Unaccompanied Minors, etc.).

Of course there is always the other explination that all seats are taken and you need to see the agent. The flight could be full or could be oversold. You will find out if it is oversold when you check in and it asks you if you would like to volunteer your seat.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bay Area Blue
I am assuming that you both saw this message after you clicked the "Change Seats" link correct? If the message is showing and you have seats asssigned, then there is no need to worry.
Ok, good. We have seat assignments, so I am not worried. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
ya ya... however i have never seen this happen before when all seats are supposedly taken.. (and a new dummy res shows selectable seats)... so this is different behavior for the same situation.. i have printed out boarding passes with my assigned seats, so i'm not worried, it's just weird.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Interesting. I just checked my flight for Monday PDX-BOS. Its not available on the website. When i check expertflyer it shows 0'd out. when i check the seat map it shows 11 preferred seats are left. I better not forget my upgrade cupons
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
no seat assignment + no seat map = you are one of the 'unlucky' few who bought the oversold seats last minute, or close to it (you'd probably notice because a full Y is freaking expensive). This will also happen to people who check in late.

Some flights can be weight restricted due to weather, cargo, or other operational reasons, so you can have situations where not every seat is full, but technically the flight is full. If these get cut close, no seat assignments are made. (had this happen to me a few weeks ago actually).

I guess to confirm, I have seen big differences in the seatmap with elite vs. not elite on a somewhat full flight.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

I do have seat assignments on both flights... I just like seeing the seatmap to see if better seats open up.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
I do have seat assignments on both flights... I just like seeing the seatmap to see if better seats open up.
So you'd like to see a seat map with nothing available as opposed to a generic message that, to most, means all pre-assignable seats are gone? I agree that the verbiage of the message is a bit obscure but, really Mikey, you're an experienced traveler. Figure it out.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:45 am

Bringing back an old thread. Just bought flights from Seattle to Kona, HI for a vacation on the non-stop. Dec6-11. During booking, I got the same message to see the agent at the gate, etc. A flex booking shows wide open front-of-cabin, I am guessing that as long as a bunch of elite flyers dont buy into this flight that I'll be able to get those seats at 24hr check-in. Any reason to believe this isn't the case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.