Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried to get a travel voucher for a decreased fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP; CO OnePass; Hilton Platinum

According to Yapta.com, you can get a voucher from AS if the fare drops within 2-3 months of purchasing a ticket as long as the itinerary didn't change. Has anyone had any success actually getting a travel voucher for the difference in the fare?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ilee1990
According to Yapta.com, you can get a voucher from AS if the fare drops within 2-3 months of purchasing a ticket as long as the itinerary didn't change. Has anyone had any success actually getting a travel voucher for the difference in the fare?
Yes. I have done it three times in the last few months. Just call them up and tell AS that the fare has dropped and that you would like travel vouchers for the fare difference. Fare differences are rounded up to the nearest $25. They are electronic vouchers and will show up in "My Discount Codes". However, sometimes the "Hot Deal" fares are available on the internet only and the agent can not see these.

They will reissue the original ticket with the same confirmation code but I often find that I have to put myself back on the upgrade list after the reissue.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
They will reissue the original ticket with the same confirmation code but I often find that I have to put myself back on the upgrade list after the reissue.
That's because the ticket is reissued as a new ticket and you do lose your place in the upgrade line (since your place in line is now based on the new ticket).
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP; CO OnePass; Hilton Platinum
Great. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm using a companion ticket to purchase ANC-HNL tickets and the fare is pretty high right now and has fluctuated wildly the last few days. I want to just buy now and get a seat since I'm going for Christmas.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:24 am
YLW

Programs: AS AC AA SPG IHG Gold
They didn't round up for me, but it was only a couple of $, so no complaints here. I received two separate $25 vouchers for price drops, on a flight I had booked 5 months out, but using them seems unlikely as we always use companion certs and it appears they can't be combined.

And of course any price drop voucher you receive will only be for the 'main' ticket. The companion does not qualify for one.

Last edited by YLW; Aug 15, 2009 at 11:26 am Reason: added info
Old Aug 15, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by YLW
..... but using them seems unlikely as we always use companion certs and it appears they can't be combined.
Correct, unless you find an excuse to zip off somewhere by yourself.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVP GOLD, Delta Medallion Gold
I was denied because it was a 'different class'. Is this correct?

I bought a ticket from SEA-OGG for $449. It was listed under the 'bargain' fare category (at the time nothing was available in the 'Hot Deal' category). Now a ticket is available for $399 as a 'Hot Deal'. When I called to get a refund/voucher for the difference in price, I was denied. I was told the price hadn't changed and that this was for a 'different class of service'.

Is this correct? FWIW, I am an MVP (regular...not gold) if that makes a difference.

-Mike
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
The rule is if a new lower published fare becomes available then you should receive the difference. I think the agent in your case was confusing this with another restriction regarding opening of lower fare buckets. If the lower fare is only a result of availability being made in a lower fare bucket then they aren't obligated to reissue the ticket in the lower bucket. Generally I've never had a hassle. Most agents will justverifythat it will price at a lower fare and give you the difference.

Just call again and speak with a different agent. Better yet follow the prompts to change an existing ticket to route your gall away from the general reservations queue.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP
This is what the vouchers are all about...a lower fare for your flights. Mere mortals (customers) can't be expected to understand the backroom technicalities of how and why prices go up and down.

Different Agent....
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
For MVPGs, with unlimited free changes, IMO it generally makes more sense to start a new booking at the new fare, and to change the original higher priced rez to some other (more expensive) trip that you are going to make - after all, to make MVPG you're likely flying AS a couple of times per month.....
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
Yes. I have done it three times in the last few months. Just call them up and tell AS that the fare has dropped and that you would like travel vouchers for the fare difference. Fare differences are rounded up to the nearest $25. They are electronic vouchers and will show up in "My Discount Codes". However, sometimes the "Hot Deal" fares are available on the internet only and the agent can not see these.

Actually, I thought that as part of AS's fare rules simplification a couple few years ago, they eliminated this restriction. AFAIK, any fare you see on the web site should be bookable by a phone agent--there are no more IO (Internet Only) fares.

The one exception might be the Worthless Web Specials™ (WWS™), although the deliciously cheap $315 ANC-JNU rt WWS™ prices out to a K class fare (third tier fare, above T and G), which should be accessible to any booking agent.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The only significant price drops ive seen consisted of Alaska itens with codeshares on them, which they will not price match. i had UG certs on them anyway with no U left.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 3:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ilee1990
Great. Thanks for the confirmation. I'm using a companion ticket to purchase ANC-HNL tickets and the fare is pretty high right now and has fluctuated wildly the last few days. I want to just buy now and get a seat since I'm going for Christmas.
Check the current fare-

As I mentioned earlier prices have plummeted on ANC-OGG/HNL flights...

I used two companion certificates to book for tickets ANC-OGG late November returning early December back in June. The price fluctuated a little bit, but wasn't bad @ the time of booking, especially with the companion certs.

Got a farecompare email alert this evening about the price drop, but was unsure of the dates... when I got to my laptop, found out, sure enough the fare dropped. Right as I was about to call AS... I got a yapta alert saying I should call to get a discount code issued for my flights. Quick and easy on the MVP line with no wait, said I saw the airfare went down, wanted to implement GARR, and the agent checked the itineraries I gave her. Yes, it had decreased, so she processed the request, confirmed my email address, and said the discount codes should be issued in the next couple of days. And AS does round up the certificates, so instead of $170, it should be $175 - x2 for two itins, I'm a happy camper
Old Aug 30, 2009, 1:43 pm
YLW

Programs: AS AC AA SPG IHG Gold
And AS does round up the certificates, so instead of $170, it should be $175 - x2 for two itins, I'm a happy camper

X 2??? They wouldn't give us anything for our companion ticket when I called, only for the full fare one.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by YLW
And AS does round up the certificates, so instead of $170, it should be $175 - x2 for two itins, I'm a happy camper

X 2??? They wouldn't give us anything for our companion ticket when I called, only for the full fare one.
2 PNR's...

4 travellers...

I'll confirm when they post...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.