Southwest in Alaska (Frontier Bid)

Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:28 pm

Well for now it looks like all this speculation on WN/F9 is moot. Unless they appeal for any reason...Republic will acquire F9.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...-selected.html

DALLAS, TX--Aug. 13, 2009--Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) confirmed today that its bid to acquire Frontier Airlines was not selected. Southwest submitted a bid of more than $170 million to Frontier Airlines on Monday, Aug. 10, 2009, in accordance with the procedures established in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.

"We said all along that we would only move forward on this deal if it proved to be the right decision for our Employees and financially prudent for our Company," said Gary Kelly, Southwest's Chairman of the Board, President, and CEO. "We have a mission to preserve and protect our Culture and the best interests of our Employees, Customers, and Shareholders. This was a great opportunity that required us to act fast. A lot of people worked very hard with every intention of making this work. We were fortunate to be in a position to examine the acquisition to see if it was the right decision for Southwest Airlines. We chose not to amend our bid to remove the labor requirement, a key reason our bid was not selected. Our congratulations to Republic Airways and Frontier Airlines."
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Air
Time to learn about Republic Air! Maybe they are interested in entering the Alaska market...
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by wildway
Time to learn about Republic Air! Maybe they are interested in entering the Alaska market...
They're buying Frontier. They'll probably keep the name Frontier since it has name recognition. I'm sure they'll change some things, but not too drastic. Remember F9 has had 7 months of consecutive profits.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by channa
Originally Posted by wildway
They're buying Frontier. They'll probably keep the name Frontier since it has name recognition. I'm sure they'll change some things, but not too drastic. Remember F9 has had 7 months of consecutive profits.
Flew on MW (Mokulele Airlines) today operated by Shuttle America, a Republic Airways Company
Guess they are spreading their network even further...
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:36 am

Republic is quite big now. They own Republic Airways, Shuttle America, Chautauqua Airlines, Midwest Express, a majority of Mokulele and now eventually Frontier.

They were just a regional player until the Midwest Express acquisition and now Frontier. If you've ever flown on US Airways Express, United Express, Continental Express, American Connection, Delta Connection, or Mokulele...odds are you at one time were on an aircraft owned and operated by one of Republic's subsidiaries.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
Those profits have come on the back of F9 employees, who are subject to BK-negotiated wages and benefits that are not far from their new brothers flying 50-seat jets for other REP airlines. I doubt this is going to work out to have the happy ending REP (or F9 employee) imagined...
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Well F9 pilots were told by WN management that they would have gone to the bottom of the WN seniority ladder so I doubt they would've been happy about that. I think most F9 employees would rather work for someone else than WN especially considering many of them would have been laid off in the Denver area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.