Baggage Fee Gray Area

Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Baggage Fee Gray Area

I'm MVPG and booked a coach ticket for my wife (who has no status) using miles. She'll be traveling without me but with a lap child and therefore needs to check baggage (car seat, baby crap, etc.) It's unclear to me whether she qualifies for the free baggage allowance for MVPG given that I won't be accompanying her. Any help?

Thanks to all.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If the agent accidentally put the award pseudo MVPG number in the reservation then she will show as a gold. If more likely the agent didn't make a mistake and put the regular award pseudo MP # in, then she will show as a plebian.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm confused, I thought all award tickets issued using a Gold account were supposed to receive the same benefits as a gold because there was really no way to tell whether it was a gold traveling or someone else? I thought the mileage plan number was the universal 55555555?

His wife should be able to check baggage for free? Am I mistaken?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If the agent accidentally put the award pseudo MVPG number in the reservation then she will show as a gold. If more likely the agent didn't make a mistake and put the regular award pseudo MP # in, then she will show as a plebian.
No agent, I just booked via the website.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
I'm confused, I thought all award tickets issued using a Gold account were supposed to receive the same benefits as a gold because there was really no way to tell whether it was a gold traveling or someone else? I thought the mileage plan number was the universal 55555555?

His wife should be able to check baggage for free? Am I mistaken?
I've booked many with me and a 2d no status (in fact, recently another for me and my brother on the same reservation) and I'm 55555555 and he's 9876543 (or similar)
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Accidentally? If the miles came from an MVPG they are supposed to do this.

Originally Posted by IStream
No agent, I just booked via the website.
I would just give the MVPG desk a call. Verify it shows MVPG and if the agent won't replace the pseudo-MP# at least have them note the record that the miles came from a MVPG account and that the free baggage allowance should apply.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Will do. FWIW, it did allow me to select seats from the MVPG forward section but that doesn't involve a direct waiver of revenue (yet).
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I hope I'm wrong - I've never given award miles away on a reservation I'm not a part of - but every time I have a companion, it is no-status.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IStream
Will do. FWIW, it did allow me to select seats from the MVPG forward section but that doesn't involve a direct waiver of revenue (yet).
You booked with your miles, not hers, right? If so, then all should be good.

It's a good sign it allowed you to choose the MVP/G seats.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Booked last NOV for travel using my MVPG miles OW ANC-MIA... And they showed up as the MVPG MP generic miles...

Unless something changed, you should be good...

Picking (or having access to MVP/G seats is a good sign) - but this also applies to those on a peak award...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 12:19 am

[QUOTE=beckoa;12097455Picking (or having access to MVP/G seats is a good sign) - but this also applies to those on a peak award...[/QUOTE]

So, that explains why my mom was able to score the good seats when we used her miles from DCA-SEA-SFO last summer. I thought there was an issue with allowing non-elites access to the preferred seats.

I'm learning something new everyday!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:37 pm

Don't forget that your car seat and stoller don't count against your luggage count. They're free.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ricochet
Don't forget that your car seat and stoller don't count against your luggage count. They're free.
Wow! Different day and I learned something new.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It also used to be that a fishing pole was exempt too... but I did not find this the last time I looked into the fine print... was this also eliminated?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The most unreliable of the family members get gold mileage bookings...

and since we have a mix of non-gold, gold in my family, i usually book standard going out, and gold on the return given the choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.