Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Ways to claim a BSG:

1) In Person, find someone at the baggage counter or ticket area.

Update 6/5/2022: Requests for the Baggage Service Guarantee are now entered through the computer/iPad. Allow up to a week for the miles to post, then contact Customer Service.

Update 2018-11-10: Online requests, either via customer service or Twitter, are no longer reliable ways to request a BSG. The typical response now is they must be obtained in person at the airport from a baggage agent.

Print Wikipost

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by pcoll
March 28 DEN/.SEA Bags were 30 minutes late and not out yet. Went to AS rep and asked for voucher. Told to come back after I actually have our luggage.
Came back 45 minutes later with luggage and told they do not honor the 20 minute guarantee when they have issues with delayed baggage!!
Told 20 minute guarantee is only valid when baggage claim area has no service issues. I tried to argue that is what the guarantee is for and told to please leave now. We will not discuss this.
it seems that AS is serious on increasing revenue and no longer as customer "friendly".
had a really rough time last time landing at PHL. Agent was wearing a Delta name tag though. I would tweet Alaska
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Earlier this month, had to basically argue with the baggage agent upon landing (nearly 3 hrs late) in EWR. She told us there was no way she was giving us the certs as bags were coming out at around 18 mins. I told her that was great, but we were waiting more than 30 for ours (which, as a side note, it would be great if AS could prioritize first class and/or elite bags, at the very least). We went back and forth, and she eventually took us into the office to issue the certs, complaining about how dumb the guarantee is, how she is unhappy with Alaska and her compensation, etc etc etc. The certs she issued ended up being expired and AS twitter team issued the credit manually. Wrote it up in AS listens (along w/ other issues from the trip) and got a canned response from the LAX station manager apologizing/thanking me for the feedback. No other compensation or discussion provided. Overall, the last thing I wanted to do was argue w/ one of their ground staff after a delay, let alone hear about how dumb the guarantee is and how she doesn't get paid enough to deal with passengers.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Earlier this month, had to basically argue with the baggage agent upon landing (nearly 3 hrs late) in EWR. She told us there was no way she was giving us the certs as bags were coming out at around 18 mins. I told her that was great, but we were waiting more than 30 for ours (which, as a side note, it would be great if AS could prioritize first class and/or elite bags, at the very least). We went back and forth, and she eventually took us into the office to issue the certs, complaining about how dumb the guarantee is, how she is unhappy with Alaska and her compensation, etc etc etc. The certs she issued ended up being expired and AS twitter team issued the credit manually. Wrote it up in AS listens (along w/ other issues from the trip) and got a canned response from the LAX station manager apologizing/thanking me for the feedback. No other compensation or discussion provided. Overall, the last thing I wanted to do was argue w/ one of their ground staff after a delay, let alone hear about how dumb the guarantee is and how she doesn't get paid enough to deal with passengers.
Thanks for posting your experience. Makes me feel less "crazy". Thought it was a situation which should not have been adversarial. AS agent made it so.
It seems that a directive is out there that encourages agents to not issue vouchers and challenging passengers who want to claim them.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Flew SAN-SEA and back this week. Got vouchers (2 vouchers each way for 2pax, each with a bag). No problem at SEA... the bag claim agents at SAN didn’t seem quite so accomadating. In both cases I had taken a screen shot of my phone stopwatch and told them what times they had come out.)

The SAN people looked incredulously at each other, and started puching numbers on their computers. Finally, one of them kind of huffed “they didn’t even scan them” and reluctantly gave me vouchers. I can only assume they were trying to verify my claim, but the bag handlers disn’t scan them when they put them in the belt.

It’s such a weird thing... the flight attendants announce it... and the bag claim people seem surprised when anyone wants to make a claim. (Having said that, I’m always surprised that noblody else seems to bother with it.
jjmadison and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:02 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Following the conclusion of the 2019 Kona Lavaman Triathlon, 23 bike boxes/cases were left in Kona last night off 873 nonstop to Anchorage April 1st (no joke).

Mine will take two days to arrive home :-((
Old May 10, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
A pair of bag guarantees paid out

flew to DEN on #682 on 5/8.
We were advised to look for our bags on carousel #4. After 40 minutes another passenger advised the assembled passengers that our bags had dropped on carousel #3. Grrr....
I had phoned the station agent phone but was greeted by a ‘leave a voice mail’ request.
Located the Alaska agent and she was running out of vouchers due to every passenger lining up from that flight.
we got ours and got out of there.
bad night....
Old May 24, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
AS 118 (LIH-SEA) last night, one bag was ~22 mins, the other was ~26 min, flying in F.

We got two vouchers without any problem which is always the case at SEA, I think it literally took a minute? I don't even bother trying to make claims at outstations; results have ranged from being yelled at (EWR) to not knowing where the certs are (DTW).
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Snared a single $25 guarantee on AS#649 [PHX-SEA] on 5/22. A single bag of ours was offloaded from carousel #15 . As usual, it was busy with multiple flights on the same carousel. We had arrived directly from our C Gate arrival and located our first bag but the second bag was nowhere to be seen. Several other co-passengers were also awaiting bags. None of us were happy, the overhead sign did not show the asterisk,which indicates all bags are out, We finally went to the bag stand and there was our bag. We had not seen it on the carousel, I believe it was never put out.
Grrr...
Old May 25, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
AS704 (5/24) 32 minutes. First time they wouldn’t just give them over Twitter. Had to track down the 1 Alaska agent working in STL.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
AS436 SEA-SAN
June 3, 2019

Carousel started rolling at 22:49. My bags came off at 25:14 and 29:02.

One certificate (one traveler) which is policy, although I’ve often gotten two certs.

I think I’m going to write Alaska Listens on this one. It’s the second time the baggage office at SAN has seemed less than enthusiastic (maybe a little skeptical and grumpy) about honoring the guarantee.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
AS 1354 SFO-BOS on 7/20. Aircraft landed 30 minutes early but then sat around for 40 minutes waiting for the gate and alley to clear. Bags took another 40 minutes due to difficulty in getting the aircraft hold open. When I asked the agent about the bag guarantee, she said it didn’t apply because of the mechanical issue on the aircraft. Sent an email to AS Listens. I'm guessing they’ll claim it falls under the “right to suspend the baggage service guarantee in the event of...other conditions out of the airlines' control that prohibit timely baggage delivery” T&C. Though usually MX for your own aircraft is supposed to be under your control.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
ANC-SEA late on Sunday night. Bags took around 30 minutes to appear. No AS agents anywhere in sight and as it was well past midnight I headed for my hotel.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
ANC-SEA late on Sunday night. Bags took around 30 minutes to appear. No AS agents anywhere in sight and as it was well past midnight I headed for my hotel.
Claiming the late bag gaurantee isn't worth too much of a hassle or grief especially past midnight.

I rarely check a bag. And when I do, I haven't recently been bothering with the guarantee. The reasons I don't bother with it is because the bags usually drop within 20-30 minutes and the reward isn't worth much more of a delay in my schedule.

However, I am on the fence, on one hand it seems like a reasonable amount of time and not much of a payout but on the other, the airlines nickel and dime.

I'll be checking bags for the next month. I'll only claim it if my bags drop past the promised time and if I have time.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Claiming the late bag gaurantee isn't worth too much of a hassle or grief especially past midnight.

I rarely check a bag. And when I do, I haven't recently been bothering with the guarantee. The reasons I don't bother with it is because the bags usually drop within 20-30 minutes and the reward isn't worth much more of a delay in my schedule.

However, I am on the fence, on one hand it seems like a reasonable amount of time and not much of a payout but on the other, the airlines nickel and dime.

I'll be checking bags for the next month. I'll only claim it if my bags drop past the promised time and if I have time.
You can also just send a DM via Twitter to AS with flt. #/Name/MP# and they can credit the BSG that way, I've done that several times when no staff was around.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
You can also just send a DM via Twitter to AS with flt. #/Name/MP# and they can credit the BSG that way, I've done that several times when no staff was around.
That sounds like a great option. Thanks.

If I am twitterless, do you know if the same can be done through text messaging?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.