Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Ways to claim a BSG:

1) In Person, find someone at the baggage counter or ticket area.

Update 6/5/2022: Requests for the Baggage Service Guarantee are now entered through the computer/iPad. Allow up to a week for the miles to post, then contact Customer Service.

Update 2018-11-10: Online requests, either via customer service or Twitter, are no longer reliable ways to request a BSG. The typical response now is they must be obtained in person at the airport from a baggage agent.

Print Wikipost

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
19/43 Bag Claims this year. So a hair under half my flights. I'm always shocked when the bags are out in 15 minutes. N Gates has trashed that record though.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Had BUR-SEA, SEA-DCA, DCA-SEA, SEA-BUR between 12/8-12/15. Claimed the baggage guarantee for all but the BUR-SEA leg. Was pretty surprised landing in BUR they took more than 27 mins, and even more surprised that I was the only one who actually collected the guarantee.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Thanks for posting this. I'll now track time to bag from the moment the plane is "blocked in".
Not sure what "blocked in" means, but I always use the "arrived" time in the Alaska app. I think that's triggered when the door opens at the gate.

Welcome to the small clan of us who actually claim this guarantee I always find it surprising how few of us head for customer service reps when bags are late.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mroseman13
Not sure what "blocked in" means, but I always use the "arrived" time in the Alaska app. I think that's triggered when the door opens at the gate.

Welcome to the small clan of us who actually claim this guarantee I always find it surprising how few of us head for customer service reps when bags are late.
I don't trust the arrival time to be accurate, honestly. I just start a stopwatch on my phone once the seatbelt sign turns off and use that.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mroseman13
No kidding, especially when the FAs announce the guarantee at arrival on nearly every flight.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
12-19 SEA-STL
Waited 24 minutes. Tweeted @AlaskaAir and had the miles in my account within 4 minutes.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS
Data Point....just deposited Baggage Service guarantee $25 discount codes (from paper vouchers) into both of our accounts.
Went to Valid Discount Codes in each AS mileage plan account and see that they expire in 31 days!!!! The expiration date for code is Jan 31, 2019.
Called CS and they said I deposited 1 into my account on April 25, 2017...WHAT????? The ECBSG18 is the program code which indicates 2018. Rep could not explain why they have wrong dates..second one shows deposited into account 4-15-17. We had no codes in account before this.
First suggestion from CS was call baggage claim. I pointed out they are pretty busy with other issues right now (holiday travels). She agreed and tried to find super.
Final decision from her was to open a file and when codes "expire"- call and they will re-issue codes again. Not too optimistic but, it is all they can offer right now.
I would have tried to use them but travel for next 2 months already booked. Since 60 day policy went away, don't like to book too far out.
Just a heads up.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
In the last few weeks I've had two instances in which luggage was >20 minutes arriving.

In neither case were there baggage service agents available.

I emailed customer service (which took 8 days to respond!!) and was told that neither they nor the Twitter reps would post miles/discounts anymore because the baggage service agent had to verify in person.

I responded that I hope that meant that they would now have an adequate number of baggage service personnel at every airport for every flight.

Otherwise, this "guarantee" looks pretty thin, and is going to be more and more like hotel's "Best Rate Guarantees" which have so many exceptions and loopholes as to be meaningless.

(I also wonder: since they scan the bags, presumably that associates the bags with one's PNR. Why couldn't Customer Service or the Twitter reps then seek confirmation that bags indeed were scanned late onto the carousel)

I find that my bags are late over half of the time and I always start looking for an agent when 17 or 18 minutes comes and no bags are in sight. Many times there are no agents around, and I'm not going to invest another 10 minutes searching them out, so I just call CS and have never had an issue claiming the 2500 miles.

One thing I do try to remember to do just in case is pull out my phone at 20 minutes and wait for my bag to snap a photo of it coming out the chute. I haven't needed to yet, but I'm sure there's a way to get a time stamp on it to email in if they ever give me any resistance in claiming the guarantee.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
2-22 PSP-SFO 24 minutes. 1 minute with the friendly agent in the baggage office right next to the carousel, 2 certs collected.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My bag did not arrive last Sunday at RDU after flying SEA-RDU. The agent at RDU Baggage Services used her iPad to give me 2,500 miles but it's now Thursday and I still don't have them. Do they typically take this long to post?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by CMK10
My bag did not arrive last Sunday at RDU after flying SEA-RDU. The agent at RDU Baggage Services used her iPad to give me 2,500 miles but it's now Thursday and I still don't have them. Do they typically take this long to post?
Not In my experience. I'd call Customer Care if I were you. Good luck.
williwaw likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Been pretty instant for me. Worth a call.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CMK10
The agent at RDU Baggage Services used her iPad to give me 2,500 miles but it's now Thursday and I still don't have them. Do they typically take this long to post?
if the agent did it as CS, it gets funneled through Seattle. I'd give it a week.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by channa
if the agent did it as CS, it gets funneled through Seattle. I'd give it a week.
Interesting. Is this a new way of doing it instead of giving us the vouchers to submit online?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AS
March 28 DEN/.SEA Bags were 30 minutes late and not out yet. Went to AS rep and asked for voucher. Told to come back after I actually have our luggage.
Came back 45 minutes later with luggage and told they do not honor the 20 minute guarantee when they have issues with delayed baggage!!
Told 20 minute guarantee is only valid when baggage claim area has no service issues. I tried to argue that is what the guarantee is for and told to please leave now. We will not discuss this.
it seems that AS is serious on increasing revenue and no longer as customer "friendly".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.