Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Ways to claim a BSG:

1) In Person, find someone at the baggage counter or ticket area.

Update 6/5/2022: Requests for the Baggage Service Guarantee are now entered through the computer/iPad. Allow up to a week for the miles to post, then contact Customer Service.

Update 2018-11-10: Online requests, either via customer service or Twitter, are no longer reliable ways to request a BSG. The typical response now is they must be obtained in person at the airport from a baggage agent.

Print Wikipost

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
LAX - PHL, pmVX F

bags came 30 minutes later. Associate said that the new guarantee is 30 minutes, I said, ehhhhh... haven’t heard of that .. she says, ok I’ll give it to you, but people get confused from time of landing until time you’re at the gate. I know very well the policy that the countdown starts at the chime now the wait for the miles ...
I've had to call Customer Care recently after bags were late at both HNL and RNO and there were no AS personnel around to give us the vouchers. The miles were deposited immediately. This could be an option for you if you run into future baggage claim staff who don't want to give you your credit.

We also had bags arrive late at SEA last week. The poor tired AS rep at baggage claim didn't even want to look at the boarding passes I offered him when I said our bags had come out late. He just waved them off and handed me 2 vouchers with a smile.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:38 pm

Not sure if emailing Customer Care works now. I submitted a claim for a SEA-RDU flight. A couple weeks later I got this response:
I'm sorry to hear that we did not make our 20 minute guarantee. As a one-time customer service gesture, I have added 2,500 miles to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan. In the future, you will need to see a baggage claim agent to get the Bag Service Guarantee certificate as we do not have a way of confirming your bags were late. We do have agents around the baggage claim, however, at times they may be in the back looking for other guests luggage but will come back out to check on the carousel.
The probelm is at RDU there's no Alaska agents at baggage claim and to find an agent you have to trek back upstairs to the ticketing counter and most likely wait in line as the plane you just arrived on does a quick turn back to SEA and customers are waiting to check bags. I guess I'll try Twitter next time if it happens again.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Been flying a lot, and have gotten the certs a few times. MCO a couple weeks ago, SEA, and most recently SFO.

SFO put up a fight, though. Plane arrived at the gate, but took 7 minutes for them to get an agent to connect the jet bridge. Posted arrival time on the AS app was the minute the door opened, not when we arrived at the gate (7 minutes prior). That made a difference as to whether the bags were eligible for the guarantee.

SFO argued it was when the first pax gets off the plane (door open time). T&Cs are clear, "If your bags are not at baggage claim within 20 minutes of your plane’s arrival at the gate..." which makes sense -- they shouldn't get extra time for not being ready for the plane's arrival. Fortunately this is not usually an issue.

Last edited by channa; Jun 24, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by channa
...SFO put up a flight, though...

Glad you got the cert.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Jun 24, 2018 at 8:49 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Westcoaster

Glad you got the cert.
2 certs. We were a party of 2 (1 bag each). She argued about that, too. She said it's 1 per itin, not per pax. T&Cs say it's per pax.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Bags were late arriving in STL on an after midnight arrival. No staff around. Because the website says you have to notify within 2 hours, I called in. Explained the situation, including that I wanted miles, and the agent had to put me on hold. Came back and said I'd be getting a cert. Told him i wanted miles, and had to fight with him a bit about it (he was insistent that the guarantee was for a cert only). Put me back on hold and then came back and said ok. Got an email a few days later confirming.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Bags were late on a SEA-OAK flight by about 3 mins. Sent a DM to Alaska on Twitter and had a response crediting the points before my bag popped out.
channa likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
6/30 HNL-SAN Very late, long wait at BSO. DW went to the office at T+22 with no bags and was instructed to wait until the bags arrived to get the cert because if the bag didn't show up he'd have to start a different claim form. Then we had to wait in line and wait for him to get off a lengthy phone call before he wandered to the back to grab the certs. Felt like we were being slow played to see if we'd give up.

7/8 SEA-HNL 1st bag at 12 min, 2nd at 17
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
7/5 AS 1754 SEA-SFO

Bags were due on the carousel located directly in front of the baggage service office. At T+21 I walked 10 feet over and exclaimed to the Agent behind the counter "JACKPOT!"

She laughed and handed me 2 certs without even checking the boarding passes in my hand. Bags rolled at T+22. ;-)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
7/5 AS 1754 SEA-SFO

Bags were due on the carousel located directly in front of the baggage service office. At T+21 I walked 10 feet over and exclaimed to the Agent behind the counter "JACKPOT!"

She laughed and handed me 2 certs without even checking the boarding passes in my hand. Bags rolled at T+22. ;-)
Is it one voucher per bag or per person?

Is there a difference between policy and practice?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by twitch76

Is it one voucher per bag or per person?

Is there a difference between policy and practice?
one voucher per passenger with checked bag. Practice seems to follow policy.
Once, Family in front of me , who had checked 2bags, wanted 4vouchers , one for each passenger. AS rep did check baggage claim check tags and handed them 2vouchers.( I guess they thought it was worth a try?.)
NoLaGent and twitch76 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by pcoll

one voucher per passenger with checked bag. Practice seems to follow policy.
Once, Family in front of me , who had checked 2bags, wanted 4vouchers , one for each passenger. AS rep did check baggage claim check tags and handed them 2vouchers.( I guess they thought it was worth a try?.)
Correct. We were 2 pax, with 2 bags each=2 vouchers total.
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Here’s why I asked.

i’ve only flown AS a couple of times (maybe 4 trips). Once, I landed in SAN, and the bags were late. I was flying solo with two checked bags and got two vouchers. I assumed it was one per bag... but maybe the bag agent thought I had a companion. Or maybe he was frazzled. Or maybe I just hit the jackpot. I didn’t really know the rules, so I didn’t think twice about it.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by twitch76
Here’s why I asked.

i’ve only flown AS a couple of times (maybe 4 trips). Once, I landed in SAN, and the bags were late. I was flying solo with two checked bags and got two vouchers. I assumed it was one per bag... but maybe the bag agent thought I had a companion. Or maybe he was frazzled. Or maybe I just hit the jackpot. I didn’t really know the rules, so I didn’t think twice about it.
Jackpot! This is not how the program is designed.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
AS642 July 3 - According to the arrival time posted on the board at the airport, I received my bag (our third) 28 minutes after arrival
I didn't see anyone in the area (This was a SEA-DFW) flight, so I sent a Facebook message and we both got 2500 miles credit for late bags. My wife's 2nd bag had come at 24 minutes after arrival

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.