Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Ways to claim a BSG:

1) In Person, find someone at the baggage counter or ticket area.

Update 6/5/2022: Requests for the Baggage Service Guarantee are now entered through the computer/iPad. Allow up to a week for the miles to post, then contact Customer Service.

Update 2018-11-10: Online requests, either via customer service or Twitter, are no longer reliable ways to request a BSG. The typical response now is they must be obtained in person at the airport from a baggage agent.

Print Wikipost

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by HeHateY
Second, I would appreciate any suggestions as to who to contact at 19300 International Blvd to get a) my promised guarantee and b) more competent baggage handling at ONT.
Use this contact form and they'll almost certainly issue you a coupon code along with an apology.

The Baggage Service Guarantee clearly states:

If your baggage is not at baggage claim within 25 minutes of your plane parking at the gate, you're entitled to a $25 Discount Code for use on a future Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air flight or 2,500 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan bonus miles.

If we don't meet our 25 minute guarantee, simply see an Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air Customer Service Agent for your voucher.
I'd interpret "at baggage claim" as when your bag hits the carousel and is available for you to claim, not when the belt starts turning. Sometimes it starts turning and you don't see anything roll of for several minutes.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS143 January 18, 2010 (well... arrived on the 19th) PDX-ANC - companion and I collected certs.

Reminder- if anyone has outstanding certs in their possession from 2009... use them by the end of the month before they expire. I finally entered in the 3 from November for my family and I...
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Slightly off topic but I was quite impressed by AS baggage delivery at PHX this week.

I'd never checked a bag with AS before but as I was originating in YVR...I had to. I was in row 14 of a 738 and was at the baggage claim probably five minutes after deplaning and my bag was already coming around the belt. Thanks AS! ^
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AS BR thru Nov 2010
For the past two Fridays I have been lucky to claim two vouchers after flying YVR to LAX. I generally don't check bags but having been forced to check my carry-on due to Canadian security, receiving the BSG's on my last two flights was a nice treat. Due to fly back down to LA tomorrow but it would seem that the Canadians are now allowing one carry-on item which means I will not be checking any baggage.

Thank's AS for the easiest 5,000 miles I've ever earned I just love AS
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:28 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by sduk27

Thank's AS for the easiest 5,000 miles I've ever earned I just love AS
speaking of which, that reminds me I gotta dig out that apology card for my 1000 miles and mail it in from the as132 delay on the 15th
Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS 130 2/11/10 - bags made it in less then 25 mins into ORD (stopped by AAdmirals club first to check it out)

AS 131 2/15/10 - Boardroom closed, so went down to the baggage claim. My bags showed up within 15 minutes of the arrival of the A/C in ANC ^^

So no new certs collected.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:14 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by hgdf
Use this contact form and they'll almost certainly issue you a coupon code along with an apology.

The Baggage Service Guarantee clearly states:

I'd interpret "at baggage claim" as when your bag hits the carousel and is available for you to claim, not when the belt starts turning. Sometimes it starts turning and you don't see anything roll of for several minutes.
Thanks for the suggestion and the links. I sent in my story to AS Customer Service and got my 2500 miles in short order.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
On SEA-SJC my fiancee's bag did not appear. It apparently was routed to GEG instead.
She was given the baggage guarantee miles and a temp. toiletry kit and the bag arrived the next day in MRY.

Last edited by longdrelation; Feb 17, 2010 at 9:14 am
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by longdrelation
On SEA-SJC my fiancee's bag did not appear. It apparently was routed to GEG instead. I have no idea how an SJC bag makes it to GEG - not same state and the code looks nothing alike.
She was given the baggage guarantee miles and a temp. toiletry kit and the bag arrived the next day in MRY. I appreciate the miles, but miles can never make up for a lost bag.
Mistakes happen. We're all human.

I guess I'd say, the alternative is no bag and no miles. Surely it's not worse than that?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 402Fanatic

I guess I'd say, the alternative is no bag and no miles. Surely it's not worse than that?
I've edited my post to remove the negativity, because I'm actually always pleased with the rapid delivery of lost bags.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:49 am

Programs: MVPG
I fly SEA-ORD once a month and always check baggage. I've only had one instance of significant delay (ORD), for which I received a $25 discount code, good until 1-31-2011. I was an MVP at the time, so I had not paid a baggage fee. My last flight was 2-14, flt 23 from ORD. We landed at 5:55pm and I was at the curb with my 2 bags (1 oversized) by 6:20. I would rate this service as outstanding.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by 402Fanatic

Sounds like there was some negativity in the replied-to post that was removed that may have caused you to post this, but on a related note, I do have a real question:

If you compare FedEx or UPS's lost/delayed package rate with any airline's, why does it seem like airlines (any airline, not just AS) are incompetent at getting bags where they're supposed to go? What are FedEx and UPS (and even the USPS) doing right that airlines are doing wrong?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:16 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by jackal
Sounds like there was some negativity in the replied-to post that was removed that may have caused you to post this, but on a related note, I do have a real question:

If you compare FedEx or UPS's lost/delayed package rate with any airline's, why does it seem like airlines (any airline, not just AS) are incompetent at getting bags where they're supposed to go? What are FedEx and UPS (and even the USPS) doing right that airlines are doing wrong?
I could be wrong, but I believe FDX and UPS puts in RFID in all of their packages. The USPS does not use this technology and surprisingly enough their delivery rate is not as good as FDX/UPS...
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I could be wrong, but I believe FDX and UPS puts in RFID in all of their packages. The USPS does not use this technology and surprisingly enough their delivery rate is not as good as FDX/UPS...
RFID chips are so cheap; why not implant them in the baggage tags the ticket agents print out? Sounds like a great way to help track and manage bags...
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:57 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Fedex and UPS do not use RFID for individual packages. Peel up the label next time you get one - notice it doesn't have the concentric antenna loops that make RFID what it is. It's just a paper sticker. Lack of technology is not what makes the USPS suck. Knowing you have a goverment-sanctioned monopoly sure will though (cf. the TSA, DMV, any government agency really).

Originally Posted by jackal
RFID chips are so cheap; why not implant them in the baggage tags the ticket agents print out? Sounds like a great way to help track and manage bags...
The individual tags are only one component to a baggage-tracking system. Readers would have to be installed, and in contrast to cheap portable hand (barcode) scanners, RFID scanners are typically expensive fixed installations. Purchase too few and you create bottlenecks that each bag must pass through. Purchase too many and you flush capital down the drain. It's a nice ideal, but the uptake is slow because it's a complex and expensive solution to what is basically not a problem today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.