Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
Ways to claim a BSG:

1) In Person, find someone at the baggage counter or ticket area.

Update 6/5/2022: Requests for the Baggage Service Guarantee are now entered through the computer/iPad. Allow up to a week for the miles to post, then contact Customer Service.

Update 2018-11-10: Online requests, either via customer service or Twitter, are no longer reliable ways to request a BSG. The typical response now is they must be obtained in person at the airport from a baggage agent.

Print Wikipost

Post Your Baggage Service Guarantee Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Talking AS 1, beckoa 1

Flew AS 130 on the 29th of July... stopped in DL SC for a beverage and some nutella ... wandered down to the baggage claim 20 minutes from arrival and my bags were circling the belt - ^ AS & I assume AA baggage~

Returned on AS 131 the 7th of August... Boardroom closed already so I wander down and have more time to watch my clock... and at the T+25 minute mark my bags were not there yet so I went to the baggage office and informed them the bags had not made it in 25 minutes. The agent asked to see my baggage tag (on the back of my BP) and then gave me the certificate after logging the date on it... The bags made it about 10 minutes later at T+35

So, my score is currently:

AS 1
beckoa 1

Old Aug 13, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
After this guarantee went into effect....this July, Barrow bags took over an hour...as usual. Im not going to bother complaining about it.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well, it seems AS is doing rather good with delivering bags ontime (good for both AS and the pax... although I do like free miles/discounts )

HNL-SEA made it w/o any issues (even with a quick stop @ the BR) on the 14th of Aug...

SEA-PDX-OGG-ANC on Aug 17th made it again in 25 minutes (about to walk to podium... but then they popped out ) - companion got a certificate as they took a little longer (lucky akronin )

And two friends this evening took AS14 SEA-EWR and also didn't have to wait long for their bags...

Good job AS ^
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
So...was it the intent of the OP of this thread to consider a "success" getting your bags on time...or getting a voucher?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
So...was it the intent of the OP of this thread to consider a "success" getting your bags on time...or getting a voucher?
uh... YES!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS, WN, UA
Great success in that bags were delivered at 24 minutes!

OGG-PDX, beautiful night last month, arriving alongside several other flights/carriers. Arrived carousel and nothing happened for for almost 20 minutes, first bag not through the chute, carousel not even on. We eye the Horizon customer service or help area close by and think, ok, in 5 minutes we'll be first in line if something doesn't happen shortly...

Voila, at 20 minutes, bags fly out in rapid succession, and at minute 24 all 3 bags are in our hands! Well played, Alaska. Well played.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS 131 ORD-ANC: Was in 6F and off the plane pretty much immediately at gate C1. By the time I got to baggage claim, my bag had already made a full 360-degree round on the carousel. Gate to claim in under 10 minutes: extremely impressive!
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:39 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
AS 96 from ANC to SEA on 9/22. Went straight to the service counter at 25 minute mark before the first bag had even come. Agent was surprised I came over to the desk "just for the certificate". It took at least 10 minutes to actually get the certificate...which was perfect timing as my bags arrived just then. I somehow assumed it would be 1 cert per bag...but it is 1 per pax, I guess.

Now the decision...$25 vs 2500 miles - what are the FTers doing?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
AS 96 from ANC to SEA on 9/22. Went straight to the service counter at 25 minute mark before the first bag had even come. Agent was surprised I came over to the desk "just for the certificate". It took at least 10 minutes to actually get the certificate...which was perfect timing as my bags arrived just then. I somehow assumed it would be 1 cert per bag...but it is 1 per pax, I guess.

Now the decision...$25 vs 2500 miles - what are the FTers doing?
Hmm - was real fast to collect the only one I got so far...

But still have it floating around... 2500 miles seems to be quite a few and worth more then $25, but when one has too many miles, and is hooked on revenue tickets for upgrades, I may opt for the $25 off if I don't find a flight with a discount code to use...
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
When I collected mine after my ANC-PDX leg a few weeks ago, the bag agents were really quick to get the certificate filled out. The one who wrote the slip then spent 10 minutes flirting with me.

FWIW, I used mine as a $25 discount. I've got close to 400,000 miles and I really need to use them up before they're devalued.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

AS872 on Nov 26, 2009 initially had bags coming out fairly fast, but not consistently. Thus, at T+25 minutes, two family members and I visited the AS Baggage office and collected three of the certificates [the fourth got their bag within the allotted time]

The UA baggage agent knew how to fill out the forms thankfully.

The return AS873 last night (early this morning) made it within 25 minutes ^
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:33 am

Last night, arrived DCA, was the last off the plane. As we walked by the baggage belt there were just a couple customers left collecting their bags - all others had gotten their bags and were on their way. It was a full flight. All within about 20 minutes.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
BRW 11/24, time to first baggage item: 1 hour 19 minutes 45 seconds
Passengers: about 30 in a 737-400

I can single handedly walk over every piece of luggage, one by one, out of the baggage hold and into the little 4 x 12 foot baggage drop area in under a half hour. Just give me a TSA pass and ill do it next time im there.

Is this actually quite typical for Barrow too, but i figured id time it this time. Baggage in Barrow is the running joke of the town. The tour guides in barrow tell the inbound tourists that they'll drop them off at the hotel now, and come back in an hour or so for their bags.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maokh
Is this actually quite typical for Barrow too, but i figured id time it this time. Baggage in Barrow is the running joke of the town. The tour guides in barrow tell the inbound tourists that they'll drop them off at the hotel now, and come back in an hour or so for their bags.
So, does anyone ask for the BSG discount codes? Or do they not bother?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Angry AS at ONT ducks out of promised 25 minute guarantee?

Flew AS 538 from SEA to ONT yesterday (14 Jan 2010). We arrived at the gate at 4:10pm. My bag did not come out from behind the vinyl curtain until 4:37pm.

Went to AS baggage office and spoke to Sergio M. (His clip-board showed us at the gate at 4:08pm!). He refused to issue a certificate because he claimed that the belt started moving at 4:28pm.

It did, but it was signed for the Delta/SkyWest flight from SLC that arrived ahead of us, whilst the adjacent belt was signed for AS 538 and there are only 3 baggage belts at ONT terminal 2; still it does not matter as MY bag was not on any belt until my 27 or Sergio's 29 minutes after we "docked".

First, I want to know how it is possible for luggage to take even 5 minutes at a very underutilized empty airport with short distances from the plane to the luggage claim especially at mid-day when really only Alaska/Horizon and SkyWest(DL) have flights operating in and out of Terminal 2 at ONT. Second, I would appreciate any suggestions as to who to contact at 19300 International Blvd to get a) my promised guarantee and b) more competent baggage handling at ONT.

I realize I may be coming off as a grump, but I have never waited this long for a bag at ONT at either terminal. I also could have easily carried aboard my bag, and then, if needed, gotten a free gate-check out of the deal due to my flight being full. But instead I played along with Alaska's wishes and even paid them $15 for the "privilege" of having them take my bag (and having the TSA leave me a note inside it ). Besides, as I thought to myself in SEA, how long could it take to get my bag, and they have that guarantee, right??

My waiting time for my bag ended up being longer than my 10 mile ride, in a taxi, during the rush, home!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.