Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Something that actually is North of Expected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:11 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

North of Expected. FA or GA upgrading a uniformed military soldier to F when there are no mvps waiting for it on the list ^
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANC
North of Expected. FA or GA upgrading a uniformed military soldier to F when there are no mvps waiting for it on the list ^
Do we really need to go down this route again?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Since 9/11, it's been an "unofficial" rule on a number of airlines.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS
Do they check ID? Or do they upgrade folks base on what they wear?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:30 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjque
Do we really need to go down this route again?
Why not? Its a nice way to thank our service men and women
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold AA DL
Very North of Expected...Nice Job Alaska Airlines

Thanks to the Men and Woman who serve our country.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

Originally Posted by robertlaird
Very North of Expected...Nice Job Alaska Airlines

Thanks to the Men and Woman who serve our country.
^^^
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Technically, they should not because it's not a company policy that military personnel get free upgrade. That might dilute F class revenue from the military. I wonder what will happen if a pax complains the FA.

Last edited by jimmychang; Apr 28, 2009 at 11:49 pm
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by jimmychang
Technically, they should not because it's not a company policy that military personel get free upgrade. That might dillute F class revenue from the military. I wonder what will happen if a pax complains the FA.
In general, US government employees fly on a Y fare basis (though the actual fare is about half what the published Y fare is) in order to give them the flexibility to make changes or cancel without penalties.

A gate agent apparently does have the authority to "kick someone upstairs" if they need to open a seat in Economy or if they have an open seat in First Class. It has not happened to me on AS, but I have benefited from this authority on a few other United States and foreign-flagged carriers and have seen others benefit from it as well. Sometimes it was because of my status with the airline or the Alliance. At others it was a simple smile or pleasant attitude that moved me up.

So really, if a gate agent wishes to extend this to a person traveling in uniform, it's their call, apparently.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:41 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimmychang
Technically, they should not because it's not a company policy that military personel get free upgrade. That might dillute F class revenue from the military. I wonder what will happen if a pax complains the FA.
In a recent instance the person was returning from an 18th month combat tour. Honestly I could give &$#@@ about the military F class revenue! Hooooah to them for serving and getting an upgrade! You mean dilute the F class for the generals and colonels?? Oh well let an NCO or PFC in the front for once
Old May 4, 2009, 4:40 pm

...And I always invite any military personnel in uniform to be my "guests" in the BR.

-J
Old May 6, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold AA DL
Originally Posted by ANC
In a recent instance the person was returning from an 18th month combat tour. Honestly I could give &$#@@ about the military F class revenue! Hooooah to them for serving and getting an upgrade! You mean dilute the F class for the generals and colonels?? Oh well let an NCO or PFC in the front for once
I agree dilute the F class for the Military. It would nice if it was a written policy.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Found a NOE experience in print I wanted to share :
From The Seattle Times
Rave To the staff of Alaska Airlines on a flight from Dallas to Seattle, who warmly announced the group of young men and women from a Fort Lewis Stryker group who were on their way home on leave from Afghanistan. The gate agent asked everyone at the gate to give the soldiers a round of applause and had them board first, before first-class, in gratitude for their service.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by beckoa
Found a NOE experience in print I wanted to share :
From The Seattle Times
It's only north of expected if you subscribe to such behavior. I know people who'd be pissed.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:01 pm

Guess what, the military doesn't book F class for personnel, & generals typically fly on their own military aircraft anyway. I don't think the airlines need to worry about the military not buying first class fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.