Alaska Pilot Q&A Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by AlaskaCoho
If I learn how to post it, I'll up load one of Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport (old airport). or you can do a Utube search.

My previous career took me to HKG's old airport, Kai Tak. dozens of times and I will admit it was a hairy landing from the pax standpoint.

I imagine it wasn't a treat for the pilots either.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:59 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Cholula
You might be referring to this one at TGU.
yes thats the one. That seems dangerous on a calm day. It wouldnt take much windshear at all at that place to make that a very very bad day
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:00 pm
ANC

Yeap I've seen that before, pretty darn amazing isn't it. If I learn how to post it, I'll up load one of Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport (old airport). or you can do a Utube search.
So what would be the easiest? Somewhere like Fairbanks or Denver on a nice summer day? I figure since Fairbanks is a nice straight approach and theres hardly any other A/C around to worry about?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ANC
So what would be the easiest? Somewhere like Fairbanks or Denver on a nice summer day? I figure since Fairbanks is a nice straight approach and theres hardly any other A/C around to worry about?
Well, DEN on a nice summer day and you have issues with having the air not dense enough to take off when fully loaded (even with DEN's nice long runways!). Don't think that really affects landings, though. (DEN gets some pretty bad thunderstorms in the summer, though!)
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:21 am

Taxiing speeds: Does AS impose a speed limit for aircraft going to/from the gate?

A few years ago I was flying quite a bit between RNO and SEA and the few times I took Southwest it was really noticeable how fast their pilots would drive on the ground compared to AS pilots (both to and from the runway). I credited Southwest's fixation on quick turn around times for their speed but maybe there's more to it? I feel like AS pilots are sometimes pretty quick nowadays.

Obviously if the arrival gate is still being used or the airport has terrible paving I wouldn't expect/want fast taxis.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by ANC
Well lets not use easy...then it would appear anyone could do it. I prefer routine.

Yes FAI is pretty routine as is SEA really and PDX, PHX, GEG. All very straight forward and on a summer day very pleasant.

DEN is always a bit bumpy. You know the tax payers were sold a bill of goods on the new DEN. They moved the airport out into the plains theatrically away from wind shear and weather and population in the downtown area. NOT. A study was done looking over twenty years of weather service data. Guess where the most tornado prone area is in and around Denver? Dead center on the NEW airport. The Piata family sold the property to the state for the airport. Odd wasn't it that he was also in charge of building the airport?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by ScottSEA
Taxiing speeds: Does AS impose a speed limit for aircraft going to/from the gate?

A few years ago I was flying quite a bit between RNO and SEA and the few times I took Southwest it was really noticeable how fast their pilots would drive on the ground compared to AS pilots (both to and from the runway). I credited Southwest's fixation on quick turn around times for their speed but maybe there's more to it? I feel like AS pilots are sometimes pretty quick nowadays.

Obviously if the arrival gate is still being used or the airport has terrible paving I wouldn't expect/want fast taxis.
LOL not at you or the question, just the subject. The official airmens information manual, FAA bible on how to fly; tells pilots to taxi only as fast as they can walk. Still LOL here Once our Chief Pilot reminded us to heed the AIM on taxi speed. The ontime rate went to zero in 1 day. Can you imagine how long it would take to get to the end of a 2 mile long runway at that pace? How about in ORD they would send you to the penalty box for 20 years if you taxied that slow. His newsletter was pulled off the web.

SW is known for speedy taxis, and also for running off the end of runways and taxiways 11 times in one year. Just the facts sir. Just the facts.

Most all other airlines taxi at a speed that will allow them to stop if say a ground vehicle darts out in front of them. Its not easy to suddenly stop so taxi speeds are, I dont know reasonable. I try to keep it around 20Kts GS. Now if you are in a hurry to catch the employee bus at the end of a long trip, maybe 30kts. If you are pissed at the company for sayI dont knowmaybe handing out a 30% pay cut, well maybe you taxi at a slow walk speed. Its all left to the Capts judgment. But then again the saying in aviation is; all is forgivable if you live or unless it happens on the ground then hang the guilty ........ There is no forgiveness for ground accidents; we taxi (except SW) accordingly.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:20 am

Great thread - I love it!

In your RNP101 post, you had mentioned the use of multiple GPS units in the cockpit for increased accuracy into JNU. Redundancy reasons aside, are two GPS's really better than one? My initial thought is that, these days, aviation-grade GPS units are so darned accurate that one is plenty. I imagine your FMS units make setting them up a snap, but from a general aviation standpoint, I would think that setting up multiple GPS units would be way too cumbersome.

My flying club is getting ready to purchase a Diamond DA-40, which comes with two GNS-430's. We're pulling one of them and installing it in a Chicken Hawk in order to have 430's across the fleet. My initial thought was "why does a GA pilot need two 430's?" which prompted my question.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:23 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Since I'm not into all the technical stuff, I'm going to ask an easy question...what's your favorite place to have a crew layover (is that the right term???) in?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
Since I'm not into all the technical stuff, I'm going to ask an easy question...what's your favorite place to have a crew layover (is that the right term???) in?
And piggybacking on that question....I know in PVR, and I think other Mexican destinations, crew gets to stay at all inclusive resorts. Is that in someone's contract? Certainly it can't be the cheapest place in town, even with contract rates, and surely AS wouldn't do this just to be nice, would they? And finally, does the restriction about Capitan and FO eating same meals extend to the ground on layovers?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by SixAlpha
Great thread - I love it!

In your RNP101 post, you had mentioned the use of multiple GPS units in the cockpit for increased accuracy into JNU. Redundancy reasons aside, are two GPS's really better than one? My initial thought is that, these days, aviation-grade GPS units are so darned accurate that one is plenty. I imagine your FMS units make setting them up a snap, but from a general aviation standpoint, I would think that setting up multiple GPS units would be way too cumbersome.

My flying club is getting ready to purchase a Diamond DA-40, which comes with two GNS-430's. We're pulling one of them and installing it in a Chicken Hawk in order to have 430's across the fleet. My initial thought was "why does a GA pilot need two 430's?" which prompted my question.
As you may remember from the early days of training the principle of Tune and Identify. God I wish I had a dollar for every time I told a student that. Tune and identify refers to making sure the navigation aid you are navigating with is actually giving you information or if it suddenly went off the air and you are happily flying into la la land. We as pilots were "learned" to monitor the navaid at all times. It was beaten into some of us.

OK so how do you tune and identify and monitor the GPS? The only way is to compare it to another GPS. Soooo we have multiple GPS units to perform RNP because they check each other to make sure for the pilot that they are both giving approximately the same info. This is displayed to the pilot on the MFD (Multi-Function Display) as ANP or Actual Navigation Performance. We can select the RNP needed for the approach and departure and right next to this is a display of how the computer is actually doing. If the actual performance exceeds the required performance then we either switch to radio nav, go visual, or worst case do a missed approach.

In GA, public GPS approaches do not require the precision of RNP so one GPS receiver is legal. But now ask yourself how do it know?

Last edited by AlaskaCoho; Apr 13, 2009 at 11:19 pm Reason: Corrected ANP
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:51 pm
ANC

You know the tax payers were sold a bill of goods on the new DEN. They moved the airport out into the plains theatrically away from wind shear and weather and population in the downtown area. NOT. The Piata family sold the property to the state for the airport. Odd wasn't it that he was also in charge of building the airport?
LOL yes I know all about it. All I had to say one time to a hotel shuttle driver was "wow this airport is in the middle of nowhere" My mistake He then ranted the entire way to the hotel explaining the entire ordeal
Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by johnp012001
And piggybacking on that question....I know in PVR, and I think other Mexican destinations, crew gets to stay at all inclusive resorts. Is that in someone's contract? Certainly it can't be the cheapest place in town, even with contract rates, and surely AS wouldn't do this just to be nice, would they? And finally, does the restriction about Capitan and FO eating same meals extend to the ground on layovers?
Ok NOW you've done it! Trying to get me to give away super secret stuff here. I was gonna start a travel business. Name it "Travel like a Pilot" or something. Then write detailed info about each of the cities I have had to layover in. Tell where the good BBQ is, cheap drinks, all the good stuff. If I tell you here how will I ever make any money?

For the record SJD is the place where we stay in an all-inclusive. The idea, at least as it has been told to me over the years, is that overseas airlines find that in the long run staying at 5 star hotels saves money. Less sickness and less need to wander out into hostile territory means more on time jets.

Each guy or gal has favorites. They bid each month to try to spend as much time in the favorites as possible. After all some of them are human. So I really could only give you my favorites which may or may not be others. IF however we look at bidding results and see how senior each destination goes in the monthly bidding process we can see where the most desired places to layover are. What makes a destination popular is a combination of hotel and location. In the past ORD went very senior because the airline put us up in the downtown W hotel. Now that we stay near the airport in Rosemond, well not so much. So with that as a background this is my take on the best of the best.

PVR, stay at the marina and very very nice hotel.
BOS, Best hotel in the system. The Hotel staff actually like us. In the summer well there is BOS and the North end all within walking distance. In the Winter the hotel has a great!! Workout room.
PHX, obvious
MCO, nice Hotel and lots to do.
SAN if we stay downtown. Lot of short layovers are at the airport.
Now while I have long since gotten over the intrigue of Alaska, a lot of guys bid JNU and SIT in the summer for hiking and scenery. ^

Having said all that, the FAs have different choices. While EWR goes junior for pilots it is very senior for FAs. So there are differences. Mainly regarding shopping opportunities. Just a guess.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 12, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Well I can't be sure, but I think AlaskaCoho ALWAYS complains about SJD and PVR. However, I am pretty sure I have seen someone who looks like him smiling broadly while snoozing on the beach.......but what do I know?

I would ask a question about the maintenance log book....but I think I know the answer already.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ok NOW you've done it! Trying to get me to give away super secret stuff here. I was gonna start a travel business. Name it "Travel like a Pilot" or something. Then write detailed info about each of the cities I have had to layover in. Tell where the good BBQ is, cheap drinks, all the good stuff. If I tell you here how will I ever make any money?

For the record SJD is the place where we stay in an all-inclusive. The idea, at least as it has been told to me over the years, is that overseas airlines find that in the long run staying at 5 star hotels saves money. Less sickness and less need to wander out into hostile territory means more on time jets.

Each guy or gal has favorites. They bid each month to try to spend as much time in the favorites as possible. After all some of them are human. So I really could only give you my favorites which may or may not be others. IF however we look at bidding results and see how senior each destination goes in the monthly bidding process we can see where the most desired places to layover are. What makes a destination popular is a combination of hotel and location. In the past ORD went very senior because the airline put us up in the downtown W hotel. Now that we stay near the airport in Rosemond, well not so much. So with that as a background this is my take on the best of the best.

PVR, stay at the marina and very very nice hotel.
BOS, Best hotel in the system. The Hotel staff actually like us. In the summer well there is BOS and the North end all within walking distance. In the Winter the hotel has a great!! Workout room.
PHX, obvious
MCO, nice Hotel and lots to do.
SAN if we stay downtown. Lot of short layovers are at the airport.
Now while I have long since gotten over the intrigue of Alaska, a lot of guys bid JNU and SIT in the summer for hiking and scenery. ^

Having said all that, the FAs have different choices. While EWR goes junior for pilots it is very senior for FAs. So there are differences. Mainly regarding shopping opportunities. Just a guess.

Hope that helps!
Cool insight... is Hawaii fairly senior too (due to longer flights & exotic locations) and which island is AS' employee's favorite (from what you can tell)

My personal preference: LIH, KOA, OGG, HNL

And its funny to hear about EWR's particularities

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.