So, when's AS joining the DEQM party?

Old Sep 2, 2009, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Not that i need anymore EQM but if its going to happen please happen soon while I'm can still be on the top of the upgrade list

Last edited by CDKing; Sep 2, 2009 at 5:15 pm
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

...And now there's speculation of UA joining the fun...

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52639,00.html?jumpLink=%2Feqmoffer
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:45 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Not speculation. United is now offering a choice of DEQM or DEQS from September 3 through December 15, 2009. ^

United Airlines promo
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Not speculation. United is now offering a choice of DEQM or DEQS from September 3 through December 15, 2009. ^

United Airlines promo

Also a nice twist - DEQM or DEQS ^

Hmm... if AS matches by lets say tomorrow... I might head to OGG for the weekend ^
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
If they want us to beg for a match, that can be arranged.
http://cheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=5124642

Maybe they want to help turn a frown upside down?
http://cheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=5124672

Or we can go right to threats
http://cheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=5124684
http://cheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=5124698
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:16 pm

Wow...I thought I had a lot of free time!

Count me in the minority, but I don't think DEQM is a good idea. Just lowers the ranks. If anything, DEQM should be for current MVP/Gs (who need an extra push to requal, but the 4/8 segments in Q1 of 2010 should be enough).
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:37 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa

Also a nice twist - DEQM or DEQS ^

Hmm... if AS matches by lets say tomorrow... I might head to OGG for the weekend ^
Well, since I am flying tomorrow, it would be nice if they decided to match the other carriers to offer it effective the same date as the other carriers.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
Well, since I am flying tomorrow, it would be nice if they decided to match the other carriers to offer it effective the same date as the other carriers.
AA's effective date was today the 1st of September
UA's effective date will be tomorrow the 2nd of September

But I'll keep checking alaskaair.com/newsroom
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Count me in the minority, but I don't think DEQM is a good idea. Just lowers the ranks. If anything, DEQM should be for current MVP/Gs (who need an extra push to requal, but the 4/8 segments in Q1 of 2010 should be enough).
Well, if it encourages people to buy tickets, which do you prefer: an airline that's still operating with lots of MVPGs, or one with less MVPGs that ends up being bought out by DL or AA or going into Chapter 11 (yeah, I know, not likely) because they are financially weaker?

AA, UA and (if it happens again) AS aren't stupid. They aren't giving DEQMs away for free out of the kindness of their hearts- they do it because it stimulates business that otherwise wouldn't be there.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:29 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AA, UA and (if it happens again) AS aren't stupid. They aren't giving DEQMs away for free out of the kindness of their hearts- they do it because it stimulates business that otherwise wouldn't be there.
Darn straight. I've got a very heavy travel schedule until November and many routes are WN and AS routes. If AS does a DEQM promo, I'll be on AS to get Gold. I want to one up my friend who is going to try for 1K on UA...and I want cookies for Christmas.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:37 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Darn straight. I've got a very heavy travel schedule until November and many routes are WN and AS routes. If AS does a DEQM promo, I'll be on AS to get Gold. I want to one up my friend who is going to try for 1K on UA...and I want cookies for Christmas.
If we hit 100K do we get 2 boxes?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:12 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by United757
Wow...I thought I had a lot of free time!

It doesn't lower the ranks when air traffic has fallen 20% or more. People simply aren't flying. Even with numerous DEQM promotions, the airlines are going to have far fewer elite status members next year.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
It doesn't lower the ranks when air traffic has fallen 20% or more. People simply aren't flying. Even with numerous DEQM promotions, the airlines are going to have far fewer elite status members next year.
You have that right. In 2007 I easily qualified for both UA 1K and AS MVPG with over 280K BIS miles. 2008 saw a massive reduction in my air travel: I retained my status with both UA and AS, but did an end-of-year run to HNL to keep my Gold status. Total BIS miles: 145k.

It feels as if I've barely flown this year. By moving all of my travel business onto AS, I will be able to retain MVP Gold for 2010, but little else. I'm realizing how hosed I'll be next year if my travel picks up and I have no status on any major airline. Am I the only one thinking of using MRs to make ExPlat or 1k through the DEQM promo?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by BillScann
You have that right. In 2007 I easily qualified for both UA 1K and AS MVPG with over 280K BIS miles. 2008 saw a massive reduction in my air travel: I retained my status with both UA and AS, but did an end-of-year run to HNL to keep my Gold status. Total BIS miles: 145k.

It feels as if I've barely flown this year. By moving all of my travel business onto AS, I will be able to retain MVP Gold for 2010, but little else. I'm realizing how hosed I'll be next year if my travel picks up and I have no status on any major airline. Am I the only one thinking of using MRs to make ExPlat or 1k through the DEQM promo?
I thought @ AA briefly for a moment or CO if they matched... But I don't anticipate my travel increasing... And I am usually only sticking to AS domestic network...
I also have never flown internationally, which is what I would want other status besides AS for, so I could possibly use upgrade insturments and utilize the intl' lounges...
With AA... they also have various tiers of lifetime status for just miles- kinda crazy but rather useless for myself stuck in ANC with one flight a day in the summer to DFW...
(Of course that's better then UA-cough-cough )
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BillScann
It is comments like these that make me happy to have lifetime 1P status on UA. But if I was in your particular shoes (or either shoe), I'd probably do the DEQM to get mid-tier on UA (1P). That has been my status for a few years now, and it suits me just fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.