FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Request for Upgrade Information (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/906579-request-upgrade-information.html)

family friend Jan 5, 2009 8:21 pm

Request for Upgrade Information

Hello My Friends,
I ask your assistance in obtaining information. I am currently an AA EXP and have an itinerary that includes two segments on Horizon Airlines, which I believe to be operated by Alaska Airlines. I am curious as to how I can upgrade these segments from Coach to First/Business Class. Are upgrades sold via cash and/or mileage on segments like that? Many thanks.
Rupesh

COpltASgldPHX Jan 5, 2009 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by family friend (Post 11018436)
Hello My Friends,
I ask your assistance in obtaining information. I am currently an AA EXP and have an itinerary that includes two segments on Horizon Airlines, which I believe to be operated by Alaska Airlines. I am curious as to how I can upgrade these segments from Coach to First/Business Class. Are upgrades sold via cash and/or mileage on segments like that? Many thanks.
Rupesh

All Horizon aircraft are in an all business class configuration with just 2 seats on either side of the center aisle and complimentary wine and Northwest micro-brews served in-flight.

Enjoy your flight!

tony2x Jan 5, 2009 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX (Post 11018458)
All Horizon aircraft are in an all business class configuration with just 2 seats on either side of the center aisle and complimentary wine and Northwest micro-brews served in-flight.

Enjoy your flight!

Hehe you must be a glass half full kinda person as I would never describe the seats on QX as "business class".

Does that make WN & B6 some kind of Netjets competitor?

:D

BLI-Flyer Jan 5, 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX (Post 11018458)

Very good. Hahahaha. :D

PDXOutbound Jan 5, 2009 9:57 pm

Hello My Friends,
Rupesh

So basically since Horizon is Alaska's sister carrier arm you don't quite get "business class". More like, two seats side by side on a Dash 400 or CRJ-7000 jet with free alcohol. So it passes the time. It keeps it simple. However.....on the Dash planes, try for seat 1B if solo and on the CRJ700 go for anything in row 1, if you like legroom and don't mind bulkhead. Since new to FT, don't know if AA automatically get's the front seats.......

ANC Jan 5, 2009 10:01 pm

Hello My Friends,
Rupesh

hmm you can have an upgrade certificate if you can get me into F somehow on an AA flight I have....oh wait there is no F class on horizon but hey drinks are free at least

maokh Jan 6, 2009 2:10 am

I wouldnt give the guy too much of a hard time ...

I watched an alaska MVP ticket agent frantically try to find a QX flight with available F class...i giggled and watched because it was just too stupid. I eventually explained that those little propeller planes dont have first class.

Maybe she needs to non-rev on her own airline a couples times before bothering showing up to work again.

This was also the agent that told me that MVPs could never receive first class upgrades, and comped me after i complained for a few minutes.

Oh, and pop quiz: Whats the difference between alaska first class and Horizon air? The seats don't recline.

beckoa Jan 6, 2009 2:43 am

Originally Posted by maokh (Post 11019666)
I wouldnt give the guy too much of a hard time ...

I watched an alaska MVP ticket agent frantically try to find a QX flight with available F class...i giggled and watched because it was just too stupid. I eventually explained that those little propeller planes dont have first class.

Maybe she needs to non-rev on her own airline a couples times before bothering showing up to work again.

This was also the agent that told me that MVPs could never receive first class upgrades, and comped me after i complained for a few minutes.

Oh, and pop quiz: Whats the difference between alaska first class and Horizon air? The seats don't recline.

...but the tray tables can be removed when pulled (well... happened once on a Q200 :eek:)

family friend Jan 6, 2009 8:26 am

Many thanks for the information my friends. I apologize that I was unaware of the one class configuration of Horizon Air flights. If I were to book the itinerary on Alaska Air's 737 rather than Horizon Air, how would an upgrade be acquired?

family friend Jan 6, 2009 8:28 am

Originally Posted by PDXOutbound (Post 11018925)
So basically since Horizon is Alaska's sister carrier arm you don't quite get "business class". More like, two seats side by side on a Dash 400 or CRJ-7000 jet with free alcohol. So it passes the time. It keeps it simple. However.....on the Dash planes, try for seat 1B if solo and on the CRJ700 go for anything in row 1, if you like legroom and don't mind bulkhead. Since new to FT, don't know if AA automatically get's the front seats.......

on AA, all members with an elite status are entitled to request upgrades, however they cost stickers for members of Gold Status and Platinum Status. For members with Executive Platinum status, upgrades are without cost.

gba Jan 6, 2009 8:44 am

Originally Posted by family friend (Post 11020897)
Many thanks for the information my friends. I apologize that I was unaware of the one class configuration of Horizon Air flights. If I were to book the itinerary on Alaska Air's 737 rather than Horizon Air, how would an upgrade be acquired?

Your AA status will not help you on Alaska. If flying on an Alaska 737, you may be able to pay for an upgrade during online check-in within 24 hours depending on availability. You can also pay for an upgrade in advanced using Alaska miles (not AA miles). Only certain fares may be upgraded. See http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...s-Upgrades.asp for more info.

COpltASgldPHX Jan 6, 2009 8:50 am

Originally Posted by family friend (Post 11020897)

Please post your routing. Not all AS/QX routes are served by both aircraft. You might not have a choice.

family friend Jan 6, 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX (Post 11021041)
Please post your routing. Not all AS/QX routes are served by both aircraft. You might not have a choice.

As of now I have an itinerary on hold that is from BOS-SFO-PDX where the SFO-PDX leg is on Horizon Air, however I can equally book an itinerary that is BOS-LAX-PDX where the LAX-PDX leg is on Alaska.

family friend Jan 6, 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by gba (Post 11021011)
Your AA status will not help you on Alaska. If flying on an Alaska 737, you may be able to pay for an upgrade during online check-in within 24 hours depending on availability. You can also pay for an upgrade in advanced using Alaska miles (not AA miles). Only certain fares may be upgraded. See http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...s-Upgrades.asp for more info.

My Alaska flight would be LAX-PDX so it seems that is a $50 fee OR a 15,000 mile upgrade, am I correct?

Duckouttahere Jan 6, 2009 12:29 pm

Why not book on Alaska BOS-PDX direct? I take it you want to fly FC on AA from BOS-SFO (or LAX) or you are doing a mileage run.