Request for Upgrade Information

Old Jan 6, 09, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
Originally Posted by Duckouttahere View Post
Why not book on Alaska BOS-PDX direct? I take it you want to fly FC on AA from BOS-SFO (or LAX) or you are doing a mileage run.
A fair question, both. It is a trip for pleasure, not a true MR but I would like to maximize miles however it is also preferred that I fly from the East Coast to the West Coast in First Class. If I fly direct from BOS-PDX on Alaska then I cannot upgrade easily. If I fly BOS-LAX-PDX or BOS-SFO-PDX I can upgrade on the long segment. Another alternative is BOS-DFW-PDX all on AA, but availability at a good price is more limited on that routing. Fares are quite good on this route, approximately $83, quite a deal in my experiences, yes?
Old Jan 6, 09, 12:48 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by family friend View Post
A fair question, both. It is a trip for pleasure, not a true MR but I would like to maximize miles however it is also preferred that I fly from the East Coast to the West Coast in First Class. If I fly direct from BOS-PDX on Alaska then I cannot upgrade easily. If I fly BOS-LAX-PDX or BOS-SFO-PDX I can upgrade on the long segment. Another alternative is BOS-DFW-PDX all on AA, but availability at a good price is more limited on that routing. Fares are quite good on this route, approximately $83, quite a deal in my experiences, yes?
You can always purchase FC on Alaska and get the additional EQMs and avoid the hassle of going to a different terminal at LAX or SFO. Granted AA may have a better FC than Alaska and a free UG is always nice but what if you miss your connecting flight in SFO or LAX due to delay or if your connecting flight is delayed and you end up with a long layover at LAX(SFO). From what I understand, Alaska FC is still pretty reasonable compared to other airlines. Just some things to chew on while deciding.
Old Jan 6, 09, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
You can always purchase FC on Alaska and get the additional EQMs and avoid the hassle of going to a different terminal at LAX or SFO. Granted AA may have a better FC than Alaska and a free UG is always nice but what if you miss your connecting flight in SFO or LAX due to delay or if your connecting flight is delayed and you end up with a long layover at LAX(SFO). From what I understand, Alaska FC is still pretty reasonable compared to other airlines. Just some things to chew on while deciding.
Those are definitely things to consider and I will do so. I would like to thank you and all the others here for the very helpful information.
Old Jan 6, 09, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...not to mention free access to the AS Boardroom with paid F ticket ^ (One in PDX)
Old Jan 6, 09, 3:10 pm

DELETED....

Last edited by ethang801; Jan 7, 09 at 7:43 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: