Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Qantas award to NZ: Connect in Australia allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

Just wondering if it is legal to connect in SYD/BNE/MEL on a Qantas award to NZ using Mileage Plan miles, in case LAX-AKL doesn't have availability or we want to fly on the A380 ?

On a similar note is a combination award one-way on QF return on Cathay or KE allowed?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS, HH, UA, IHG
In April I made a Mar 09 reward booking PDX-SFO-SYD-CHC with 85 minutes to transfer in SYD. Return is CHC-AKL-LAX-PDX, all QF (except for the PDX flights of course)
Two years ago I was forced into a couple of days in SYD but that was when QF handled the bookings.
Good luck and let us know how availability is.

Last edited by abner o'mal; Dec 17, 2008 at 8:23 pm
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: Former AS MVPG-hopefully again when the economy rebounds, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by spgaston
Just wondering if it is legal to connect in SYD/BNE/MEL on a Qantas award to NZ using Mileage Plan miles, in case LAX-AKL doesn't have availability or we want to fly on the A380 ?

On a similar note is a combination award one-way on QF return on Cathay or KE allowed?
You should be able to transfer through Australia without a stopover.

One-way awards aren't allowed with partners unless you want to spend the miles for two round trips.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:37 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
So just to confirm -- based on the answers above and others' experiece, pending availability, we can use AS miles to fly F on the QF A380, right?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:20 am

Programs: Former AS MVPG-hopefully again when the economy rebounds, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
So just to confirm -- based on the answers above and others' experiece, pending availability, we can use AS miles to fly F on the QF A380, right?

There is talk on the QF board that the F awards on the A380s have a separate booking class that will not be available for awards, at least in the near term.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
I have two first class awards booked in May LAX-MEL,SYD-LAX all on the A380. These were booked using AS miles.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:22 am
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by reflyer
There is talk on the QF board that the F awards on the A380s have a separate booking class that will not be available for awards, at least in the near term.
Based on what I've read on other boards, I think award seats in QF F still book into the same class (I think it's A...use the qantas or ba websites to search for seats) but that availability is very, very, very low. Of course, if you're booking far into the future, you could get lucky with an aircraft swap.

Last edited by gba; Jan 5, 2009 at 9:30 am
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
We have Business Class from AUK via SYD in December 2009 back into SFO. Anyone know if the A380 will be flying that route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.