Wiki Posts
Search

Yet Another AS50 Question...Sorry

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yet Another AS50 Question...Sorry

Believe it or not I have never actually used an AS50. Can you still get a comp MVPG upgrade if you use it? I want to book an OGG flight for me and my wife's 10th anniv and get both of us upgraded at booking.

Thanks.

DuckFlyer
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Direct from the website:

AS50 Award Money & 7,500 Miles One Way:
Valid on itineraries with flights operated only by Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air. Receive up to a 50% discount on most fares. Maximum discount allowed is $250 (USD) off of the base fare. Earn Mileage Plan Miles when traveling on this award. Complimentary upgrades not allowed.

edited to add: didn't mean to sound snotty. just answering the question and providing the source.

Last edited by eastwest; Dec 4, 2008 at 6:21 pm Reason: add comment
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The only way to use an AS50 to get into F is to buy a ticket in F with an AS50.

I've also used an AS50 to buy a "Full Flex"/refundable Y fare and gotten the offer to buy an upgrade at checkin using miles/points, but that's a bit chancy on a HI route.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:31 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Direct from the website? What page did you copy it from? The updated information appears here:

Money & Miles Award Money & 15,000 Miles Round Trip and 7,500 Miles One Way
Valid on itineraries with flights operated only by Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air. Receive up to a 50% discount on most fares. Maximum discount allowed is $250 (USD) Round Trip and $125 (USD) One Way off of the base fare. You earn 50% of the miles flown when traveling on this award. Complimentary upgrades not allowed.
Doesn't change the information about comp. upgrades BUT it does reflect the 50% miles earning.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
How many EQMs will be earned now with the AS50? Alaska usually bases all calculations off the actual flight miles, so if I fly on an AS50 F ticket will it be 50% eqm plus the 50% first bonus for a 100% total?
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
How many EQMs will be earned now with the AS50? Alaska usually bases all calculations off the actual flight miles, so if I fly on an AS50 F ticket will it be 50% eqm plus the 50% first bonus for a 100% total?
This hasn't been confirmed yet, but my guess is that if AS50 only gives 50% EQM/RDM in Y then F will probably award 50% bonus on the 50% -IOW 25% of total flown miles for a total of 75% EQM/RDM.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eastwest
Direct from the website:

AS50 Award Money & 7,500 Miles One Way:
Valid on itineraries with flights operated only by Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air. Receive up to a 50% discount on most fares. Maximum discount allowed is $250 (USD) off of the base fare. Earn Mileage Plan Miles when traveling on this award. Complimentary upgrades not allowed.

edited to add: didn't mean to sound snotty. just answering the question and providing the source.

No worries! I didnt think it was a snotty reply. I was mainly trying to figure out what the "spirit of the law" was on this one. Sounds like I need to skip the AS50 this time. Thanks all.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Upgrades are not allowed, but that doesn't mean that they don't happen on occasion. I've been surprised with upgrades on AS50 and Award tickets. Let me stress it isn't common.

The first time it happened, I commented, "wow, I didn't think that was possible" The agent simply said, "It's not supposed to. Now, don't tell anyone!"
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/1.0 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

This hasn't been confirmed yet, but my guess is that if AS50 only gives 50% EQM/RDM in Y then F will probably award 50% bonus on the 50% -IOW 25% of total flown miles for a total of 75% EQM/RDM.
That is what I was told when I called the MVP line. I don't have any AS50s purchased after the change in policy so hopefully someone who does can let us know for certain when their flights post.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:09 am

Unless you are buying an immediately upgradeable fare with U availability, I wouldn't plan on a complimentary upgrade for two on the flight to OGG. I can't speak for the flight from SEA, but from ANC to/from any HI destination its not an easy score. (to/from just about anywhere, actually, but that's another thread)

If the AS50 offers a decent discount and you're not fretting about the loss of EQMs, it may still be a good choice if your chances of the comp upgrade are slim. I still hold my breath and cross my fingers a lot, but I'm about even on comp MVPG upgrades for eligible fares and lucky day of flight upgrades on AS50s. hmmmm....
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
So...I'm finally going to ask the question - and I don't mean this to sound rude, I am legitimately curious!

I have also never used an AS50...and quite honestly never plan to. However, they seem to be very popular based on what I hear on this forum, and I respect what you all have to say (since there is a ridiculous amount of flying and MP experience on this forum). The way I see it:
7,500 miles each way
$125 discount
50% EQM's
generally no upgrades (unless you're lucky at the gate)

Aren't there better uses for your miles? With higher yields (cpm)?

I guess I can see their function in mileage running if you were going for segments, or were very close on miles assuming one had extra miles to burn and didn't want to part with the cash.

The way I see it, I'd rather pay my $125 more; have a reasonable shot at an upgrade, and get 100% EQM's + bonuses...and when I'm spending miles to be in coach I'll shop in advance and go for saver awards for 12,500 each way for $5 total

Originally Posted by meej
Unless you are buying an immediately upgradeable fare with U availability, I wouldn't plan on a complimentary upgrade for two on the flight to OGG. I can't speak for the flight from SEA, but from ANC to/from any HI destination its not an easy score. (to/from just about anywhere, actually, but that's another thread)
Re: upgrades to Hawaii...I've had a different experience. With not a ridiculous amount of advanced planning, I'll be taking my second r/t to HNL in F in a couple of months thanks to the certificates. When I was looking, U was available on most flights. Actually...on my way to HNL the cheapest available was a value fare (that was actually a great value), and got instant confirmed upgrades for me and a companion. Used 2 certificates for the return. Granted...the certificates can't be used on AS50 - another reason not to use AS50 and perhaps use a B of A companion fare for ANC - HI trips!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:46 pm

ANC, you are correct in your assessment of the current value of AS50s. I have used them a lot in the past but that was when we were earning 100% EQMs. It is the only way we could afford to travel as much as we do and earn status on AS. We might not be eligible for comp upgrades on these flights but the other benefits of status are just as important to us, so any U/G on an AS50 is a most wonderful and unexpected surprise.

We purchased 4 roundtrip AS50 tix for next year during PFD sale and prior to AS50 changes. These will likely be the last AS50s we use. After than it's BoA certs and the occasional affordable fair.

As for HI upgrades - the two examples you listed are for paper certs and instant upgrades. I have no doubt these are available quite often. My response was aimed at the 72 hour "cross your fingers and wait" comp upgrade for MVPG. I've had very very few of these come through from ANC to ORD, HNL, OGG, or even SEA (on eligible fares, of course) and we usually purchase way in advance. Maybe others have different experience....
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Sorry to trip an old thread but I was reading up about AS50.

I've decided that SEA-TUS is one of the few routes where the AS50 makes a lot of sense (at least for my miles and pocketbook). $480/ticket for Friday - Sunday in May. No saver availability, so 40k miles for the award ticket and no miles, vs. 15k and $250 for 50% EQMs (and it's only 1200 miles anyway, plus the 600 mile MVP bonus). Missing out on F is not a big deal on this route at all. I've never actually been able to redeem a saver award because I can't usually plan that far ahead, so from my standpoint I'm pretty happy AS has this award. Otherwise we'd be hard-pressed to send both of us to TUS that weekend.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
While certainly not as useful as it used to be, it does still have its uses. In these economic times, saving $250 on a trip can certainly be a bonus. And some EQM's are better than none.

Originally Posted by 98103
Upgrades are not allowed, but that doesn't mean that they don't happen on occasion. I've been surprised with upgrades on AS50 and Award tickets. Let me stress it isn't common.

The first time it happened, I commented, "wow, I didn't think that was possible" The agent simply said, "It's not supposed to. Now, don't tell anyone!"
It's happened to me three or four times over the years. The keys to success are flying a route that is not heavily upgraded (i.e., fuhgetaboutit on ANC-SEA), looking at least reasonably nice, and asking politely at the gate if there's any space available for a lonely MVP/G. The kiosks won't give you the option at check-in, so it's pretty much up to the GA.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:43 pm

Sorry for bumping this thread but I've never used an AS50 award and ran across what seems to be a pretty good deal and just wanted some validation. Here are my 2 scenarios for a trip to Cabo in July. It appears to me the saver is worth my time and $$.

#1 SEA-SAN-SJD RT
42,700 Saver-ish award (Saver only avail OW) + $82 in taxes/fees

or #2 SEA-SAN-SJD RT
7,500 AS50 + $288 fare/taxes + 50% EQM

So for basically an extra $200 i can save 35,000 miles and get 50% EQM. (Currently Gold so i assume i would also get the bonus miles as well). Am I wrong or does option #2 seem to be the better deal.

-d

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.