Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

YAPTA just got me $37 in AS travel credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YAPTA just got me $37 in AS travel credit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by USAF1
^^ Right on! This is theft!...and yet, those same people "getting over on their employer" get mad at the many corporate CEO's who defrauded us out of billions of dollars which led to the current financial crisis that our country faces! Even more troublesome is the fact that some people are proud to gloat about it.
Well, guess what? "Stein" who originally "gloated" about theft from his or her employer hasn't posted since then! Guess we effectively tar and feathered the crook of this board. Bravo, ethical FlyerTalkers!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS Gold, DL, WN
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
Well, guess what? "Stein" who originally "gloated" about theft from his or her employer hasn't posted since then! Guess we effectively tar and feathered the crook of this board. Bravo, ethical FlyerTalkers!
...or..."Stein" is "temporarily disposed" in a "correctional facility" located near you for "crimes" against us "meek FT's." "Stein" is also probably "unavailable" to "walk upright properly" due to his/her "unfortunate arguements with his/her cell mate".
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by USAF1
^^ Right on! This is theft!...and yet, those same people "getting over on their employer" get mad at the many corporate CEO's who defrauded us out of billions of dollars which led to the current financial crisis that our country faces! Even more troublesome is the fact that some people are proud to gloat about it.
Its not technically money/cash. Is a courtesy discount granted for a future flight. Under this school of thought, we should all be in jail for taking our miles and not buying future business trips with them, purchasing multithousand dollar vacation packages with miles, taking in a few bucks for lost bags, being bribed by airlines to use them exclusively, etc.

That being said, I wouldn't personally do this. And while I do keep my business travel on yapta, since i book my own travel and responsible to keep costs down, id happily apply the discount. Its just too bad i cant use yapta on AS codeshares.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:50 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Another fare drop, another credit (on a ticket that already went down $20 and already got a YAPTA credit).

BTW, Alaska does these in $25 increments. In this case, my fare went down $20, but I got a $25 credit- so even if your fare goes down $5, you get a $25 credit.
Interesting - my fare is down by $1.20; would they really give me $25 for that? Well, I don't think I'm going to find out because I am currently holding instant upgraded tickets on ANC-HNL using a companion fare. It was a good enough deal already, and U is no longer available, so $25 is not worth losing 2 F seats, which is what I assume would happen.

Oh yea...and I found out this the hard way. Credit doesn't apply if your ticket includes a partner fare or a code share flight operated by another carrier. Had a ticket where outbound was AS, and return was Era metal, AS coded. The outbound dropped by over $100, but I could not get the credit because my itin was not exclusively Alaska operated. Should have booked 2 one ways...
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Does this also mean that AS codeshare bookings are not fully refundable for golds? Maybe that would be another way to do it.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Interesting - my fare is down by $1.20; would they really give me $25 for that?
Yup- they can only issue refare credits in increments of $25 electronically (when they used to do it manually, they could do arbitrary amounts). I suspect that won't be the case forever as YAPTA catches on and refares/retickets become more frequent, so act now! Supplies are limited.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Yapta just saved me $32 on a ticket to DCA in May. I haven't got the credit voucher yet so it will be interesting to see if I get the $32 or $50 as some have suggested.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
YAPTA notified me yesterday that the fares for my upcoming FAI-ANC ticket on Monday have dropped $27. (The fares actually dropped about $37, but I had booked the original ticket with a 10% discount code which is now expired, so I can only get $27 back, though interestingly my reservation still shows the code!). Of course I called, though we'll see if I now get an upgrade since it moved me to the back of the waitlist!

Haven't received the voucher yet. The MVP desk agent told me she'd email it to me and confirmed my email address, but I haven't seen it arrive yet and it's not listed in my discount codes or wallet on the web site.

Does the fact that it's now an e-cert now mean that it can be booked online, waiving the $10 phone/in-person ticketing fee?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by jackal
YAPTA notified me yesterday that the fares for my upcoming FAI-ANC ticket on Monday have dropped $27. (The fares actually dropped about $37, but I had booked the original ticket with a 10% discount code which is now expired, so I can only get $27 back, though interestingly my reservation still shows the code!). Of course I called, though we'll see if I now get an upgrade since it moved me to the back of the waitlist!

Haven't received the voucher yet. The MVP desk agent told me she'd email it to me and confirmed my email address, but I haven't seen it arrive yet and it's not listed in my discount codes or wallet on the web site.

Does the fact that it's now an e-cert now mean that it can be booked online, waiving the $10 phone/in-person ticketing fee?
Yes.

This may be your lucky day as I was recently told that $26 through $50 = $50.

The email confirmation takes a couple of days and then your unique code will appear under your Discount Codes tab, for online redemption.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mr.brodie
Yes.

This may be your lucky day as I was recently told that $26 through $50 = $50.

The email confirmation takes a couple of days and then your unique code will appear under your Discount Codes tab, for online redemption.
I can confirm this as well. It took 2 days to show up in "My Discount Codes" but my $32 refund translates into a $50 credit.

This is a pretty good deal however I would agree once more people start to do this they will likely change this policy. This is good incentive to book tickets a couple of months in advance - at least for now.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by maokh
Does this also mean that AS codeshare bookings are not fully refundable for golds? Maybe that would be another way to do it.
If it's a refundable fare then of course you would get a refund.

Just because one is MVPG doesn't mean that every ticket is refundable. If it's a non-refundable fare then change fees would be waived but you still would not receive a refund.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:09 am

$231.20

My ANC-HNL itinerary dropped by a whopping $231.20 - making what I previously thought was a pretty reasonable deal a total steal!

No thanks to Yapta though - the itin is in there, the new fare is listed...and it says I'm elegible for a credit. What gives? Why no e-mail? I must be doing something wrong with Yapta, thus far I am not aving as good of luck as others on the forum. I used to get weekly e-mails from them...but now sporadic, and it is not going to my junkmail.

Kudos to LMOffice!! They did send me an e-mail.

But...the situation got sticky - my flight was booked outside the 90 day window; so the travel credit does not apply. However, since I am MVPG, I could reissue a new ticket, and maintain the entire value of the initial ticket, which I chose to do for that much cash.

And as if that wasn't complicated enough...I was traveling on a companion fare, using a companion certificate that is now expired. Did you know that as long as you book the companion certificate before it expires, you can cancel the ticket, but still maiintain the companion fare for use on another itinerary up to one year from the original departure itinerary? I did not know that!

And to complicate matters even further, the companion is MVP, not gold...so, it would have been a $100 fee to reuse the companion certificate on another itin...again, still better than the $231 credit - a $131 net gain. BUT...the agent said she could reissue me a ticket, give me the travel credit with no fee, and leave the companion on the same itin WITHOUT any fee!

Thank you AS for wonderful customer service...you just re-won some favor with me! (I have been griping an aweful lot lately about high fares out of ANC). I forgot to get the agents name...but I think she is deserving of a MVPG thank you cert - anyone know how I can get her name? I don't think she broke any rules, but she went out of her way to help me take advantage of a significant fare drop!

PS...great deals to Hawaii right now out of ANC - if you don't have spring plans, maybe you should take a trip!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
My ANC-HNL itinerary dropped by a whopping $231.20 - making what I previously thought was a pretty reasonable deal a total steal!

No thanks to Yapta though - the itin is in there, the new fare is listed...and it says I'm elegible for a credit. What gives? Why no e-mail? I must be doing something wrong with Yapta, thus far I am not aving as good of luck as others on the forum. I used to get weekly e-mails from them...but now sporadic, and it is not going to my junkmail.

Kudos to LMOffice!! They did send me an e-mail.
Update: Yapta sent me an e-mail regarding the fare drop today...some 3 days after LMoffice.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It does seem that Yapta has issues when you request a MVP/G upgrade- so put the flight in Yapta first, THEN request the upgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
[QUOTE=eponymous_coward;12041569]It does seem that Yapta has issues when you request a MVP/G upgradeQUOTE]

Well that explains why it won't show my price. The way around this is to manually add the flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.