Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Price jump on ANC-(SEA)-EUG - will it drop again?

Price jump on ANC-(SEA)-EUG - will it drop again?

Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Question Price jump on ANC-(SEA)-EUG - will it drop again?

Hello all you frequent AS travelers. We are taking a one-way cruise to Alaska in May. Want to fly back May 25, preferably on AS 100 at 5:30PM. I checked Kayak and they had the flight at $249. Now, when I go back to book several days later, the prices have jumped $100-$170! What is your experience on AS flight pricing? Was that original fare an awesome deal that will never happen again, or is this price going to fall again?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
That fare was probably offered as a Permanent Fund Dividend fare offered every year when Alaska residents get their payouts from the state. I believe you had to purchase those fares by last Monday, 10/13. Now the rates have "returned to normal". Still better to buy early than wait for the summer rush when fares reach their highest to and from Alaska.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

I Googled that program - they really tightened up the dates on that fare sale versus previous years! I can't believe I didn't just buy the tickets when I saw them. Didn't have the cruise booked yet, so I didn't want to put the cart before the horse (so to speak). I know the SEA-EUG leg is running about $120, so what is a good price on the ANC-SEA? I put a Yapta tracker on the afternoon flights to keep an eye on prices. BTW, I am an AS mileage member, but I don't have any miles currently.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
$349? That is still a pretty good price compared to the full Y on that route....but its starting to get close on that upper end.

All 4 segments (either routed through seattle or portland) are a commuter run. Things dont start getting really crazy for months. I think there is still plenty of time for future fare decreases.

That being said, with the exception of the PFD sale, Alaska airfare has been pretty much static and non-bargain like for quite some time now.

I remember pulling out my hair at a 2 hour before departure one way fare from SEA/FAI at a cool $240.

Is it worth watching airfares like a hawk to save $100-$150? Depends on the multiplication factor. Id be concerned about the upside on this full fare.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Spring Far Sale

Checked my e-mail archive and this year the spring fare sale went from Jan. 15 to Jan. 30 but travel had to be completed by May 8. The "summer preview sale" began Apr. 29 and ended May 8 for travel through June 25.

If next year's sales follow similar timing, you might be waiting until the end of April to book your travel for the end of May. By then, the lower fare buckets might be gone anyway. My suggestion is to go ahead and book the date and departure time you want now and when the fare sale is announced see if you can get a voucher for the difference. Make sure you are subscribed to e-mail announcements in your AS.com profile so you will be notified immediately of the sale.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old Oct 17, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Don't forget about signing up for the Alaska Visa Signature card and you can get a companion ticket for $50. That would also start you on your way of earning miles.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

I hate cards that charge $75 a year, but I guess it would be worth it for a $50 ticket. How much do you all figure you have to fly (or buy) to make the card worth it?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 5:25 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
Don't forget about signing up for the Alaska Visa Signature card and you can get a companion ticket for $50. That would also start you on your way of earning miles.
Originally Posted by partsman_ba
I hate cards that charge $75 a year, but I guess it would be worth it for a $50 ticket. How much do you all figure you have to fly (or buy) to make the card worth it?
IMO using a $50 companion ticket on an ANC-EUG O/W ticket isn't really worth it unless this will be your only trip this year. When you back out the taxes/fees the current base O/W fare is ~$356 so the companion cert will save just over $300. Compareed to the potential savings on a R/T to HNL/OGG/MIA/EWR...well, you get my drift.

If the OP could be guaranteed the 20K bonus miles for the card on or before 11/19, there are still 10K saver awards available for ANC-EUG on May 25.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
IMO using a $50 companion ticket on an ANC-EUG O/W ticket isn't really worth it unless this will be your only trip this year. When you back out the taxes/fees the current base O/W fare is ~$356 so the companion cert will save just over $300. Compareed to the potential savings on a R/T to HNL/OGG/MIA/EWR...well, you get my drift.

If the OP could be guaranteed the 20K bonus miles for the card on or before 11/19, there are still 10K saver awards available for ANC-EUG on May 25.
Thanks for the guidance! WOW! I only fly for pleasure, so have never had 20K miles to utilize. Is there generally a delay in getting miles posted? Should I be calling the credit card company or AS to push for the pre-11/19 posting?

Saving the companion ticket would work well for us, as my wife is from HI and we would like to be able to visit more often. LIH, here we come!

Thank you so much again! You have just saved me at least $600!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.