Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

QX intends to start service from PAE (Paine Field/Everett, WA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
2018-06-01: Service is delayed pending an FAA re-review.

Destinations announced 2018-01-16:

LAS
LAX
SNA
PHX
PDX
SFO
SAN
SJC
​​​​​​​
Other FT PAE threads of note:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/460657-paine-field.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/429086-seattles-paine-field-may-opened-up-airlines.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/344944-everett-paine-field-can-support-scheduled-service-study-says.html
Print Wikipost

QX intends to start service from PAE (Paine Field/Everett, WA)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ashill
Also, PAE probably can't support an appreciable percentage of the total demand from SEA because there aren't connections. If you're adding an E75 or two from PAE to a route that already has several daily 737s flying from SEA, there may well be enough demand. But if you add a 737 (because an E75 doesn't have the legs) to a route that only has one, maybe two, daily 737s from SEA, I don't see how it could work: there's less O/D demand than SEA and you lose the connecting feed.
Bingo. E75s to top destinations from SEA (SFO, LAX, PHX, LAS, PDX are all top 10 from SEA, SJC, SAN are VERY close to top 10 and still above 500k O/D a year, SNA is the only one under 500k annual O/D but it's still 410k) is is a pretty low risk way of seeing how PAE works for AS. If things go well they can upgauge to A319/A320s (once the VX acquisition is sorted) or even 738s/739s.

Originally Posted by ashill
And re DAL specifically: it's not like AS is swimming in available capacity there.
No kidding. Two gates tops, no ability to expand (unless WN leases a gate, hahahahahaha, that's a good laugh), plus they're adding SAN/SJC-DAL in February so those two gates are going to be that much more crowded with flights.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No kidding. Two gates tops, no ability to expand (unless WN leases a gate, hahahahahaha, that's a good laugh), plus they're adding SAN/SJC-DAL in February so those two gates are going to be that much more crowded with flights.
DFW would be better, to feed into AA codeshares, but again, no capacity there either. I presume the PHX choice would help feed to AA so that should be an early departure, late arrival.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
DFW would be better, to feed into AA codeshares, but again, no capacity there either. I presume the PHX choice would help feed to AA so that should be an early departure, late arrival.
Not really:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattl...p_destinations

PHX is a top 10 destination from SEA (and SEA is surprisingly #3 from PHX). Some of that is inevitably AA/WN connecting traffic, but TBH DEN/ORD are way more efficient if you want to fly eastbound (which you almost certainly do if you're connecting, given that SEA has great north-south nonstop connectivity on the West Coast and the only really logical PHX connections are to Mexico, maybe ABQ or TUS or some places in Texas), so I suspect a lot is O/D.

If AS is going to flow connecting pax out of PAE it's likely to PDX or (maybe) SFO/LAX on their own metal. AA to PHX is probably a rounding error.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by 98103
Article in this morning's Times indicates that all flying will be by Horizon on ERJ-175s
QX never operated the EMB, and the vitriol that many on here direct at the Q400 would pale in comparison to the reception that little turboprop would receive
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767

QX never operated the EMB, and the vitriol that many on here direct at the Q400 would pale in comparison to the reception that little turboprop would receive
They didn't operate the EMB-110, but they most certainly operate EMB-175s. There is no aircraft marketed as an ERJ-175, and for good reason; the ERJ-135/140/145 share essentially nothing with the EMB-170/175/190/195. Because the E175 is the only Embraer/EMB aircraft operated for Alaska, I think "EMB" is perfectly reasonable shorthand (though E175 is more common).
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jrl767

I have never flown on the 110, but I loved flying on Skywest's EMB-120 (Brasilias).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_EMB_120_Brasilia

A lot of markets lost their service when they were retired.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I passed up a couple opportunities to fly on the Bandeirante in the mid-80s, and (like you) I thought the Brasilia was a neat flying experience
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I have never flown on the 110, but I loved flying on Skywest's EMB-120 (Brasilias).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_EMB_120_Brasilia

A lot of markets lost their service when they were retired.
San Juan Air used to operate EMB-110s on SEA-CLM-YYJ, flew on them a few times.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
PHX is a top 10 destination from SEA (and SEA is surprisingly #3 from PHX). Some of that is inevitably AA/WN connecting traffic, but TBH DEN/ORD are way more efficient if you want to fly eastbound (which you almost certainly do if you're connecting, given that SEA has great north-south nonstop connectivity on the West Coast and the only really logical PHX connections are to Mexico, maybe ABQ or TUS or some places in Texas), so I suspect a lot is O/D.
Understood but I have been amazed at how out of the way I have been seeing people flying on my AS flights due to good deals. There are a few people I run into on my DAL-SEA flight that continued on from the LGA-DAL leg before it. I run into many who even backtrack on the connection just because it was the cheapest possible flight. Not high margin for the airline I suppose...

I am debating at what point is it worth throwing in a connection to go out of PAE rather than SEA.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I am debating at what point is it worth throwing in a connection to go out of PAE rather than SEA.
from where I live (Magnolia), PAE isn't really a practical alternative, but I'll also be interested to see the pricing and schedules

(not to send the thread off on a tangent, but it would likely be ** A LOT ** more attractive if SDC rules allowed routing changes)
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver
From Northgate, PAE is a great alternative. I fly to Vegas once a month, sometimes more. For me it will depend on time of flight mostly. Mornings, no comparison, PAE will win out. Afternoon weekdays, not so much, kind of a tossup. Afternoon weekends, PAE wins again. I will also take parking prices into consideration. BLI prices haves skyrocketed, double the prices of an offsite lot at SEA.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:30 pm

Any possibility to have a connection to the Sounder or Amtrak trains that run from Seattle to Everett? I realize the Sounder is only weekdays at rush hour now. But, in the long run, there needs to be some public transport to connect to PAE.

EDIT -- now see that the "other" Sounder line to Everett won't start construction until 2020, to be completed in 2036! I'll be retired by then.
https://systemexpansion.soundtransit...551.1516494566
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Any possibility to have a connection to the Sounder or Amtrak trains that run from Seattle to Everett? I realize the Sounder is only weekdays at rush hour now. But, in the long run, there needs to be some public transport to connect to PAE.

EDIT -- now see that the "other" Sounder line to Everett won't start construction until 2020, to be completed in 2036! I'll be retired by then.
https://systemexpansion.soundtransit...551.1516494566
Light Rail is scheduled there....maybe. Lol, still waiting for it at Northgate, it will open about the time I retire. More time to travel then though, so I might be taking it to SEA a lot since it is walking distance.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I was also surprised to not see ANC, even as a redeye turn (are redeyes allowed from PAE?) As big of an O&D market as SEAANC is I am sure they could fill up an E175 once a day on it.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chugach
I was also surprised to not see ANC, even as a redeye turn (are redeyes allowed from PAE?) As big of an O&D market as SEAANC is I am sure they could fill up an E175 once a day on it.
Doubt you would ever see red eyes at PAE, that would be rather *ish and middle fingering to the locals who spent a lot of time suing over using PAE as a commercial airport. There also isn’t really a reason to.

My guess is that it’s a lot easier to cycle an RJ through closer in stations and ones where there is already OO/QX presence (like SNA) than ones without (like ANC). Also, a lot of ANC traffic is connecting. PAE is not intended for connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.