Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

QX intends to start service from PAE (Paine Field/Everett, WA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
2018-06-01: Service is delayed pending an FAA re-review.

Destinations announced 2018-01-16:

LAS
LAX
SNA
PHX
PDX
SFO
SAN
SJC
​​​​​​​
Other FT PAE threads of note:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/460657-paine-field.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/429086-seattles-paine-field-may-opened-up-airlines.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/344944-everett-paine-field-can-support-scheduled-service-study-says.html
Print Wikipost

QX intends to start service from PAE (Paine Field/Everett, WA)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:28 am

More competition incoming https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...s-paine-field/

I would guess something like 3x OAK, 2X DEN
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: HH Silver
I am thinking LAS, hitting AS head on.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:45 am

Yeah 3x OAK is probably excessive initially. 2x OAK, 2x DEN, 1x LAS. There’s also LAX and SAN.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Yeah 3x OAK is probably excessive initially. 2x OAK, 2x DEN, 1x LAS. There’s also LAX and SAN.
WN doesn’t fly SEA-LAX nonstop, it would be curious to still not fly it but fly PAE-LAX.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
WN doesn’t fly SEA-LAX nonstop, it would be curious to still not fly it but fly PAE-LAX.
Indeed. Probably going to continue to use OAK as primary connector to Socal.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. Probably going to continue to use OAK as primary connector to Socal.
I would say so... some split between OAK/DEN/LAS/PHX is probably about right. All have SEA service, WN is strong at all four airports (so boatloads of connecting opportunities), siphoning off some traffic from SEA to those places wouldn't kill them (and could mean they could use some SEA space for other things).

What has shocked me is that at least one of NK, F9 or G4 haven't shown up at PAE. I would have thought PAE is PERFECT for some sub-daily frequencies to vacation spots on an LCC. G4 seems to survive at BLI...
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH Silver
G4 was one of the original players pushing for PAE. I was surprised also that they bowed out. I used to drive to BLI to fly them, but their pricing has gone up to where it is not worth my while anymore.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatterdema
G4 was one of the original players pushing for PAE. I was surprised also that they bowed out. I used to drive to BLI to fly them, but their pricing has gone up to where it is not worth my while anymore.
Allegiant (G4) was probably pushing for it when they thought it would be a small airport that none of the biggies would want much. When AS and UA and WN (Southwest) went for it, that evaporated their dream of it only being a secondary airport left to secondary airlines.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I think AS originally was going to start out slow at PAE but realized other airlines were coming. Since there are only 2 gates, it wanted to squeeze out the others, like Southwest does at Dallas Love Field. That's why they increased their plans from 8 flights to 13. They figured that 13 + UA's 6 = 19, which is just under the 22 flight limit. Southwest, not wanting only 3 flights is trying to challenge the 22 flight limit by planning 5 flights. If allowed, it can do it. If not allowed and there is no lottery, WN may not settle for 3 flights and leave.

Soon we shall see if DL agrees to be shut out or tries to play hardball by announcing 10 flights. If they do, the city will have to decide if it will shut out the later airlines or have slots, like LGA, or lottery, or reduce everyone's request (such as 8 to AS, 5 to UA, 4 to WN, 5 to DL).

I can't guess the end result but I think eventually AS will have all 737-900/900ER at PAE and will optimize profitability. Whatever route generates the highest yields will get service. Maybe we'll see ORD-1, PHX-1, ANC-1, EWR-1, LAX-2, SFO-2, PDX-2, SJC-1, SAN-1, SNA-1. Maybe LAS will be dropped despite sufficient traffic.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I think AS originally was going to start out slow at PAE but realized other airlines were coming. Since there are only 2 gates, it wanted to squeeze out the others, like Southwest does at Dallas Love Field. That's why they increased their plans from 8 flights to 13. They figured that 13 + UA's 6 = 19, which is just under the 22 flight limit. Southwest, not wanting only 3 flights is trying to challenge the 22 flight limit by planning 5 flights. If allowed, it can do it. If not allowed and there is no lottery, WN may not settle for 3 flights and leave.

Soon we shall see if DL agrees to be shut out or tries to play hardball by announcing 10 flights. If they do, the city will have to decide if it will shut out the later airlines or have slots, like LGA, or lottery, or reduce everyone's request (such as 8 to AS, 5 to UA, 4 to WN, 5 to DL).

I can't guess the end result but I think eventually AS will have all 737-900/900ER at PAE and will optimize profitability. Whatever route generates the highest yields will get service. Maybe we'll see ORD-1, PHX-1, ANC-1, EWR-1, LAX-2, SFO-2, PDX-2, SJC-1, SAN-1, SNA-1. Maybe LAS will be dropped despite sufficient traffic.
There is no statutory gate/slot/departure limit at PAE, and there's no mandatory curfew. There's a voluntary noise abatement program from 9pm - 7am and runway restrictions on the same daily schedule. Passenger commercial service is an allowable use per ordinance, and airports are "common carriers" legally barred from discriminating against users under federal law. So if demand warrants, Propeller Airports can certainly go back to Snohomish County and request to amend its groundlease to allow for additional gates. The only limitations are political will and how quickly they can turn a shovel.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
More competition incoming https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...s-paine-field/

I would guess something like 3x OAK, 2X DEN
Thanks for the link.

This may just get interesting, with all the carriers interested now.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:12 pm

A delay in flights from PAE. According to an article in today's Everett Herald (June 1) the FAA is reopening the environmental process because of the increased number of flights planned from PAE.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Link to the article. Good grief.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agency could not say how extensive the study might be, but supplemental environmental assessments typically take six to 18 months, the FAA said. That time frame includes a public comment period.
So sounds like we'll be doing well if those flights start in anytime in 2019, since it is a lead-pipe cinch that the city of Mukilteo, etc. are going to drag this out as long as they can.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by greybeardy
A delay in flights from PAE. According to an article in today's Everett Herald (June 1) the FAA is reopening the environmental process because of the increased number of flights planned from PAE.
So that may explain why there was a station manager for PAE on the Mcgee air service job postings that lasted for only a couple of hours about a month ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.