Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

QX intends to start service from PAE (Paine Field/Everett, WA)

Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
2018-06-01: Service is delayed pending an FAA re-review.

Destinations announced 2018-01-16:

LAS
LAX
SNA
PHX
PDX
SFO
SAN
SJC
​​​​​​​
Other FT PAE threads of note:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/460657-paine-field.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/429086-seattles-paine-field-may-opened-up-airlines.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/344944-everett-paine-field-can-support-scheduled-service-study-says.html
Print Wikipost

QX intends to start service from PAE (Paine Field/Everett, WA)

Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by baliktad
Presumably, as in the case of WN wanting to fly out of BFI a few years ago, what's to be gained is massive savings on landing fees at SEA. At the time, WN was paying $11.9M a year to the Port of Seattle, and saw that number going up so fast it was willing to front $130M to build a terminal at BFI, in order to reduce their annual costs to just $2.5M while still serving the same metro market.

Of course, a secondary airport with massively reduced costs would fit WN just perfectly, allowing it to offer more competitive fares. But as usual, the entrenched interests who would stand to lose money (basically everyone but WN) fought the idea kicking and screaming, and the proposal was nixed so that we could all keep overpaying the Port of Seattle for their spectacular service.
As I recall, it was also AS going "hey, wait a minute, if WN's moving we're moving too, and you can't stop us, we want OUR OWN terminal", plus Georgetown and South Park complaining "we're sort of tired of being Seattle's industrial dumping ground for everything".

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...alaska04m.html

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...ng-1184887.php

Oh, and there's the problem of needing infrastructure. (Georgetown is not really set up for a passenger airport.)

And so it goes.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
It's amazing how 2 years can change the situation. A passenger terminal has been approved and AS sent an email to Snohomish County Council members saying that it might be interested in flying to PAE even if other carriers aren't.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loca...berg/24256817/

I could definitely see PAE-PDX on QX, PAE-LAX on OO operating for AS or DL, and PAE-LAS on G4 or on OO operating for AS.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
I could definitely see PAE-PDX on QX, PAE-LAX on OO operating for AS or DL, and PAE-LAS on G4 or on OO operating for AS.
Perhaps PAE-PDX would seem to be the low-hanging fruit. The others really would depend on market demand/analysis. I could see PAE-GEG as a possibility, too.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
It's amazing how 2 years can change the situation. A passenger terminal has been approved and AS sent an email to Snohomish County Council members saying that it might be interested in flying to PAE even if other carriers aren't.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loca...berg/24256817/

Think they would offer a PAE-SEA route for making transcon connections? It would be a mere 6 miles farther than the 26mi LWS-PUW QX service.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I would love to see PAE-SLC on DL for easy connections to the eastern half the country. Make that happen and ShuttlePark2 at Sea-Tac would be seeing a lot less of me.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I would love to see PAE-SLC on DL for easy connections to the eastern half the country. Make that happen and ShuttlePark2 at Sea-Tac would be seeing a lot less of me.
BLI-SLC didn't work, so I'm not sure if PAE-SLC would. PAE-LAX would have more O&D traffic, including some from Boeing which has sizable operations right next to LAX. The new AA might even consider serving that route.

I haven't parked near Sea-Tac in awhile as Shuttle Express has been very affordable out of Everett/Mukilteo and taking Sound Transit to the airport only costs $3.50 with an ORCA card. It'd be hard to justify a PAE-SEA flight when one can travel between the two areas in 45-90 minutes.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:27 am

BLI-SLC didn't work, so I'm not sure if PAE-SLC would. PAE-LAX would have more O&D traffic, including some from Boeing which has sizable operations right next to LAX. The new AA might even consider serving that route.

I haven't parked near Sea-Tac in awhile as Shuttle Express has been very affordable out of Everett/Mukilteo and taking Sound Transit to the airport only costs $3.50 with an ORCA card. It'd be hard to justify a PAE-SEA flight when one can travel between the two areas in 45-90 minutes.
DL tried YYJ-SLC as well, and gave up.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I see no case for a PAE-SEA flight either, but I defy you to get from south Snohomish County to SEA on public transport in less than 90 minutes. From my house it's a car ride to the nearest bus stop, then two buses plus one light rall ride. Adding dwell times it takes well over two hours - longer than many of my SEA-XXX flights. Forget it. I'll drive to SEA but would prefer to drive to PAE which is < 20 from home.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CZBB
DL tried YYJ-SLC as well, and gave up.
This, and the reference to BLI-SLC earlier reinforce the truth that not every route tried by an airline is successful.

But the failure of those two routes really doesn't say much about Paine Field. BLI and YYJ serve two entirely different markets from each other, and neither serve the greater Seattle area in any significant way.

Time will tell - Alaska, Delta and the rest all have their immense data stockpiles to sift through for what might work from there. Hopefully they get it right.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I see no case for a PAE-SEA flight either, but I defy you to get from south Snohomish County to SEA on public transport in less than 90 minutes. From my house it's a car ride to the nearest bus stop, then two buses plus one light rall ride. Adding dwell times it takes well over two hours - longer than many of my SEA-XXX flights. Forget it. I'll drive to SEA but would prefer to drive to PAE which is < 20 from home.
Lynnwood Park and Ride to SEA takes 76 minutes in the early morning. Obviously public transportation takes longer to get to the airport than a nonstop ride to the terminal when non-dedicated roads/tracks are used and the bus/train makes stops. It's a tradeoff, especially if parking is not being reimbursed and one wants to rest on the ride there. Offsite parking shuttles aren't always quick either.

PAE would get a number of Seattle-area passengers who would not drive to BLI and then connect in Seattle. PAE would also have more passengers wanting to travel outside of the Western US/Hawaii. PAE-DFW or PAE-MSP might also work in the future. DL has PSC-MSP and AA has service to DFW from cities like PSP and ONT. Running a 1x daily PAE-DFW which RONs in PAE with an MD-80/A319/E-175 could very well work at least on a seasonal basis.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PAE would get a number of Seattle-area passengers who would not drive to BLI and then connect in Seattle. PAE would also have more passengers wanting to travel outside of the Western US/Hawaii. PAE-DFW or PAE-MSP might also work in the future. DL has PSC-MSP and AA has service to DFW from cities like PSP and ONT. Running a 1x daily PAE-DFW which RONs in PAE with an MD-80/A319/E-175 could very well work at least on a seasonal basis.
I agree with this completely.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wow its been a year since a post here?

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/n...ommercial.html
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
As someone who lives very near PAE, I hope this actually gets off the ground (pun intended). Mukilteo seems to have finally given in (since the ruling). I'm not sure the Q400s are any louder than the 747s that take off (sarcastic) but I know they are quieter than the Dreamlifter. The Q400 or the E175s are definitely more quite than the vintage war planes that fly out of there.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
http://myedmondsnews.com/2017/07/sup...nger-terminal/

Supreme Court rejects Mukilteo’s suit, clears way for Paine Field passenger terminal
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
how about consolidating w the more current "New Flights from Paine Field" thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.