Wiki Posts
Search

Funny Looking SEATAC Plane

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat
Funny Looking SEATAC Plane

On 9/30 taxing north from SEA to ORD there was a funny looking tri-jet plane marked with Seattle Tacoma Airport hanging out by the Alaska Airlines cargo area. Wings folded up. Anyone know anything about this plane or its purpose?
Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I wonder if what you saw was the aircraft-esque looking vehicle that's predominantly white, with some green on it? I believe that's a airport firefighting training platform.

I wish I could find a photo of it.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Yep, I have seen it out on a taxiway or over by the cargo area, with the stubby little tail and "sawed off" wings. I, too, have always wondered what the heck it is used for.

If you look up SEA on google maps, and then go to the "satellite" tab, and zoom in to the northeast end of the airport (cargo area) near Perimeter road/Air Cargo Road and 518, you can see it. It's not a particularly new aerial shot since the third runway is still obviously under construction.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 98103
I wonder if what you saw was the aircraft-esque looking vehicle that's predominantly white, with some green on it? I believe that's a airport firefighting training platform.

I wish I could find a photo of it.
Well, I had a good view of it, but being such a stickler for following the rules, I could never suffer through my guilty conscience for snapping a few pics.

Thanks for the info though. Sounds like it does not fly anymore, too bad, it would be a sight to see.

Anybody know the make/model of it?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:56 pm

Yeah, it's the firefighter training plane . You hear pilots asking ATC what it is occasionally.

Here's a picture I found on flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smartjunco/331183916/

Last edited by AlaskaSoCal; Oct 2, 2008 at 8:58 pm Reason: link added
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlaskaSoCal
Yeah, it's the firefighter training plane . You hear pilots asking ATC what it is occasionally.

Here's a picture I found on flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smartjunco/331183916/
Makes me wonder if there are other airports with "fake" planes for firefighting.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by BigTechDaddy
Makes me wonder if there are other airports with "fake" planes for firefighting.
I know that there is a fake plane at the Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. It has ports that spray fuel out so they can light it on fire and then put it out. If you use the coords N48 20.058 W122 41.168 on Google Earth or something similar you will see it.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I've seen them at other locations. My guess is that this plane never flew, and is designed specifically for training. It does look like bits and bobs from various types. Maybe those are the folding wings that Boeing developed for the 777 because Bob Crandall didn't think it would fit at gates.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by BigTechDaddy
Definitely. There's green one at LHR that has someone posing a question every few months. I think there's a similar one at MAN.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
DEN has one - here's the GoogleMaps link. It's just southwest of this mapped intersection. You can even get a pretty good view of it from the Street View.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Here are picks of it during the Seatac wheels rolling drill in july:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/photos...ter%20Drill%20

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.