Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long would you wait for first class?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
How long would you wait for first class?

When we flew home from MEX Sunday night, we were the first ones off the plane and through customs, making us on time for the 8:30 p.m. flight LAX/SEA, rather than the 10:30 flight, on which we had seats in first. Unfortunately there were no seats available in first, so we had to make a choice--fly now in coach or later in first.

Since were really didn't want to get home at 1:00 a.m. we opted for coach, now. As it happened it was a very smart choice, we were lucky enough to have ASFlyer as our flight attendant, and I shared a row with another late-arriving non-rev flight attendant who turned out to be very entertaining.

All in all, my coach experience was pretty darned fun.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Since you were denied F boarding, I take it you were upgraded?

I guess it depends on when the next flight is, and how that would inconvenience my schedule.

Years ago, when domestic first class was still kind of a big deal, id wait for it. I could then dine in a more lavish first class than buying some crappy food at an airport. Since they were usually travel days for a job I had, I really could care less waiting for the next flight (usually in about an hour or two). If it was longer than that, or it meant that i'd get in at some odd hour in the middle of the night, i might just sit down in coach.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Punki, it sounds like you hit the jackpot as far as coach seats go... its always interesting talking with non-revvers, and to experience the expertice of AS Flyer, too cool!

Sadly, I probably would have waited for the later LAX-SEA flight... I enjoy the extra room, and could 'chill' in the BR for at least a little (although it closes at 9 PM so an extra hour in LAX T3...

So to answer the question... it depends on avai. (If its secured already)... I've been known to do a same-day change ($25), usually for 2 hours. If the Boardroom were available, maybe 3-4 hours... it all depends.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:36 pm

It was so fun to meet both of you. I hope I kept you adequately (sp?) hydrated I know that my co-worker that sat next to you really enjoyed your company. By the way, did Hunki get his garment bag back? I was so disappointed that I missed it before you two ran off.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I've given up F to fly in coach on an earlier flight before, so it's a no-brainer for me.

(Unfortunately, thanks to cuts in the SEA-LAS frequencies, this is going to happen a lot less. )
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I've given up F to fly in coach on an earlier flight before, so it's a no-brainer for me.
Same here. Key factors:
length of flight (coach is no big deal on a 1.5 hour flight)
morning or evening? (I generally prefer F at night)
home before normal bedtime vs. after? (I'll think about coach)
home before kids' bedtime vs. after? (strong factor in favor of coach)
travelling alone or with another? (will it split the party?)
fullness of the flight (strongly favor F on full flights)
crappiness of the coach seat available
Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Oh, AS Flyer, you and your comrades were amazing, and kept us very well lubricated.

Yes, they finally caught up with us and handed over Hunki's tux bag. I don't know if you remember, but he also tried to leave in on the plane on the SEA/LAX flight on the way down. I don't know why he keeps forgetting it. It is his all-time favorite Armani tux and he would be miserable if he ever lost it.

When I get home tonight and find his card, I will e-mail my flight attendant seatmate and thank him for his company, and, of course, encourage him to join FlyerTalk.

Thanks for making both of the flight we shared with you so enjoyable!

Last edited by Punki; Sep 4, 2008 at 9:00 am
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
It depends to a certain extent on how full coach is, but so long as I have an aisle seat I'll wait about as long a time as the duration of the flight (eg I'd wait up to 2 hours for F for a 2-hour flight).

If I'm in a middle seat then I'll wait as long as it takes. If I'm confident on an empty middle then a bit less than the hour-for-hour rule of thumb above.

I haven't had to make the choice on AS in a long time, but with so many UA delays of late, I've regularly had to decide whether to standby into coach on an earlier flight, or wait for the delayed flight with my cleared UG.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: AS, others
I've given up F many times to get home more quickly - to me getting home is more important than the incremental benefit of an F seat. Plus, the early flight is a bird-in-hand - you never know what might happen to the later flight.

Now, giving up a 2-segment flight in exchange for a one-segment flight, that's a tougher choice!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP
How did you identify AS Flyer? AS Flyer, do you wear any flyertalk pin?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:40 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
How did you identify AS Flyer? AS Flyer, do you wear any flyertalk pin?
You don't identify AS Flyer... AS Flyer identifies you
Old Sep 5, 2008, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
That's hysterical.... (but true)
Old Sep 5, 2008, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
It helps him if you have an FT luggage tag or other piece of FT identification on you (a genuine SEA-DOO-issue FlyerTalk T-shirt would work!)...
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
FlyerTalk upgrades allow pictures

Well in case anyone has checked out the new updates to FlyerTalk, you can now upload a picture of yourself so others can put a face to your handle.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by IStream
Same here. Key factors:
length of flight (coach is no big deal on a 1.5 hour flight)
morning or evening? (I generally prefer F at night)
home before normal bedtime vs. after? (I'll think about coach)
home before kids' bedtime vs. after? (strong factor in favor of coach)
travelling alone or with another? (will it split the party?)
fullness of the flight (strongly favor F on full flights)
crappiness of the coach seat available
Very good list! I would also add lounge access in the waiting city, as well as potential issues with later flight (e.g., is weather about to come in like in an east-coast city afternoon? Or is the inbound for your flight coming in on time?)

In this case, I would have waited for 1.5 hours, hit the BR, and flown as ticketed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.