Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MVPG free changes - for 2 ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: AS, BA, VX, AA
Originally Posted by UFgatorgal
"It was explained to me that this is an MVPG reservation and as long as the itin remains identical for both pax and the reservation is not split, there should be no change fee for any pax on the reservation. QUOTE]"

I was told something different when I purchased two tickets to maui for Novevmber. I am MVPG and hubbie is MVP. The ticket agent specifically said any changes to the tickets would result in $0 change fee for me but hubbie would pay the fee. I am wondering if AS has different rules for fully paid tickets versus paid tix plus $50 companion tix?

Regarding the question on upgrade, does the ability to upgrade 1 of 2 passengers change when using $50 companion tix? In April me, hubbie and mom travelled to HNL. I was upgraded well in advance for return flight. In HNL, I called AS 48 hours prior to return flight to check on upgrades for hubbie (MVP) and my mom (no status). We were told there was 1 seat left but they could not give it to my hubbie because they were on "shared" itinerary so that meant both passengers had to travel in same class. If there were 2 seats left they would have upgraded them both.

Is that really how it works?
Yes that really is how it works.
The companion ticket is at discount BECAUSE it is mirroring the full fare ticket, thus everything else has to be mirorred as well. The companion cannot travel without the full fare passenger, although the full fare passenger CAN travel without the companion (the companion cannot then travel alone nor can that companion ticket be reissued as a discounted companion ticket - it could only be reissued into a full fare ticket by charging the difference up to the full fare plus any change fee's).

Although if the full fare passenger was an MVP they would receive the 'comp' upgrade - but the companion who was NOT an MVP would have to pay the $50 upgrade fee IF two seats were available.

Last edited by kaceyellis; Sep 4, 2008 at 6:54 am Reason: eek spelling errors!
Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:05 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
The official word from the training department:

On a revenue ticket: Only the Gold's fees are waived. Other passengers travelling with the Gold, whether or not they are remaining on the same itin as the Gold incur a service fee for changes:

On an award ticket:

Award tickets paid for with MVP Gold miles have fees waived as if it were the Gold travelling.

Last edited by missydarlin; Sep 6, 2008 at 10:37 pm Reason: removed incorrect info
Old Sep 5, 2008, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin

On a revenue ticket: Only the Gold's fees are waived. Companions, whether or not they are remaining on the same itin as the Gold incur a service fee for changes:
companion CANNOT travel without the full fare passenger. So if the full fare passenger is a Gold, they would HAVE to remain on the same itinerary - otherwise if the record is divided so they are then on a stand alone ticket, then they forfeit the companion fare altogether... as it cannot be REissued into another companion ticket - and add collect/change fee's would accrue.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by kaceyellis
companion CANNOT travel without the full fare passenger. So if the full fare passenger is a Gold, they would HAVE to remain on the same itinerary - otherwise if the record is divided so they are then on a stand alone ticket, then they forfeit the companion fare altogether... as it cannot be REissued into another companion ticket - and add collect/change fee's would accrue.
sorry.. bad choice of words on my part. I was talking about other passengers travelling with a gold.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Thanks for the official policy Missydarlin !

If non-gold is travelling alone on Gold miles, then the miles can be redeposited for no fee, but changes to the itinerary incur a fee.
So in practice you could just cancel and rebook, unless the award was in F within 72 hours, in which case you risk the U seat automatically going to an MVPG who was waitlisted the moment you cancelled - right ?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Thanks for the official policy Missydarlin !

So in practice you could just cancel and rebook, unless the award was in F within 72 hours, in which case you risk the U seat automatically going to an MVPG who was waitlisted the moment you cancelled - right ?

If there is currently no award availability on those flights, then there is always the risk that the award seat you are holding won't go back into inventory. .. so if you are wanting to keep any portion of that itinerary.. it could be risky... otherwise yes.. you can cancel and rebook
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:16 pm

On a revenue ticket: Only the Gold's fees are waived. Other passengers travelling with the Gold, whether or not they are remaining on the same itin as the Gold incur a service fee for changes:

On an award ticket:

If the Gold is travelling then all parties in the PNR as long as they stay together will be fee-waived.

If non-gold is travelling alone on Gold miles, then the miles can be redeposited for no fee, but changes to the itinerary incur a fee.
No this is not correct. Per the reference manual IF a non gold is travelling using gold miles then they will also have the same fee's waived as a gold would. ie: the change fee, name change fee, ticketing fee, redeposit fee etc.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:42 pm

you're correct. That policy has changed since I worked at the Partner Desk. Any passengers travelling on an award ticket redeemed with Gold miles will have service fees waived as if they were a Gold themselves.

I've edited my post to reflect the correct information.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
you're correct. That policy has changed since I worked at the Partner Desk. Any passengers travelling on an award ticket redeemed with Gold miles will have service fees waived as if they were a Gold themselves.

I've edited my post to reflect the correct information.
Thanks for the info.

What about a Gold using "non gold" miles for travel? Does being Gold waive the fees as usual, even if using my "non gold" mom's miles?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Me MVPG since 2003, wife MVPG last year and MVP this year. Change fee of $50 for her ticket reissue on the same itinerary and confirmation code as mine. For your $50 you gain from my pocket, I WILL NOT fly AS the rest of this year, ALL of my flights will be on airlines that value my business.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:23 pm

soonerfanatic-

I think AS is the one airline that values your business the most. I'd stick with them ^

Good luck getting "love" at UA along with 300,000 other premier executives...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by United757
soonerfanatic-

I think AS is the one airline that values your business the most. I'd stick with them ^

Good luck getting "love" at UA along with 300,000 other premier executives...
Delta / Virgin.

The MVPG rep was flat out rude. Keep on your downslide, AS.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Change fee of $50 for her ticket reissue on the same itinerary and confirmation code as mine. For your $50 you gain from my pocket, I WILL NOT fly AS the rest of this year, ALL of my flights will be on airlines that value my business.
I take it you'll be flying Southwest? As far as I know, they are one of the few airlines that doesn't charge change fees on itineraries, because a number of other airlines DO charge their elites- United charges 1P and 2P, for instance, and US Airways and Virgin America charge everyone flying in Y on a non-refundable ticket (yes, even Chairman's Preferred, from what I saw on US's website).

Just some examples. Very sincerely and non-sarcastically - good luck finding someplace that meets your needs. (I think if more people were willing to not put up with the blizzard of fees we have today, we'd have more rational fare structures.)

Edit- just so you know, Virgin America would have charged you $75 to make your flight change, on each ticket, unless you were flying in F or Main Cabin Select (which is very nearly as expensive as F).

VX's fare change policies...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Me MVPG since 2003, wife MVPG last year and MVP this year. Change fee of $50 for her ticket reissue on the same itinerary and confirmation code as mine. For your $50 you gain from my pocket, I WILL NOT fly AS the rest of this year, ALL of my flights will be on airlines that value my business.
Besides WN, which has no change fee but will find any excuse to charge add-collect to a higher (usually the highest) fare, which airline waives change fees to revenue tickets for their top-tier status members?

As a CO platinum, which requires 75K EQM not the 40K/50K for MVPG, the only ticketing fees that are waived for me are the telephone booking fee and changes to MY award tickets. I still pay $150 to change a domestic revenue ticket ($300 for international) and if I use my miles for a family member or friend even traveling with me I pay $150 to change their tickets. Also for award tickets booked less than 14 days out I pay $35 and $50 if booked within 3 days of departure.

Is the grass really looking any greener? I haven't flown AS very often in the past year + but I do miss the MVPG perks. It really is just about the most generous top-tier elite program out there.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
... Virgin America charge everyone flying in Y on a non-refundable ticket...

Edit- just so you know, Virgin America would have charged you $75 to make your flight change, on each ticket, unless you were flying in F or Main Cabin Select (which is very nearly as expensive as F).
There is no such thing as a refundable ticket on VX. Even on a full-fare F ticket you can only get an e-credit good for one year.

Last edited by COpltASgldPHX; Oct 9, 2008 at 7:25 pm
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There is no such thing as a refundable ticket on VX.
Not actually true: VX JUST announced refundable tickets.

Virgin America’s fully refundable fares apply to one-way main cabin fares and provide the following options:

* Fully refundable up to time of departure;
* Transferable with name changes up to time of departure;
* Changes or cancellations are permitted without a fee until the time of departure, with the difference in fares either collected or refunded;
* No blackout dates;
* No minimum or maximum stay requirements (as with all Virgin America fares);
* No advanced purchase required;
* “No shows,” or reservations not changed or cancelled prior to departure, will be turned into a credit valid for travel on Virgin America for one year from the date of issuance.
Yes, I know, Y on VX can be refundable, F is not. I'm going double-you-tee-eff just like you are, but hey, at least you CAN buy a refundable fare.

Also, United doesn't charge change fees for 1K/GS- but that's 100K miles or more, likely an absolute metric ton of revenue.

I sort of agree with your point, but at the same time... I also respect WN for not gouging at every opportunity (I hope it lasts), and can kind of see why what is described as a rude CS agent plus being nickeled and dimed might set someone off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.