Wiki Posts
Search

Kudos to PenAir operated ANC-DUT flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Air
Kudos to PenAir operated ANC-DUT flights

In order to balance some of the negative postings relating to travels with children, I'm posting a positive letter I wrote to PenAir regarding a trip with my very own rugrat. Technically it's about the good service I received prior to flying, and the extra effort the ramp agents went through to help fix my own screw-up, but still. Positive news never hurts. The in-flight experience was good, too.

In case you're wondering why I'm posting it here, the ANC-DUT flight is an AS flight, operated by PenAir. It has some sort of unique status, which I don't fully understand. In any event:

I’m writing to compliment and thank four of your employees for the excellent service they provided this morning on our flight from Anchorage to Dutch Harbor. They went out of their way to help resolve a potentially disastrous situation that my wife and I were at fault for creating.

We accidentally packed our son’s diapers in our checked baggage. We discovered our mistake twenty minutes before take-off, after our son had taken care of some business. We told the gate agent, who immediately rushed out and contacted the ramp agents. Unfortunately, they had to find our bag, which was at the very bottom of a large stack. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:00 AM, and the agents and the rampers could have easily and justifiably declined to go that extra distance to help us get those diapers. But they went above and beyond, digging through all the bags to get us ours, and still managed to load the plane and get it out on time. Actually, ahead of time.

As a former ramp agent myself, I appreciate the extra effort these two ramp agents put in to get us those diapers! And I thank the kind, understanding attitude of the two gate agents who were able to help us as well. Unfortunately, we didn’t get the chance to catch their names, but we applaud their service and thank them from afar. If every PenAir employee is as helpful as these four were for us this morning, your company is headed for great success!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Pen Air is a great little airline; kudos to them for going the extra mile and to you for letting them know about it.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Wow, they sound like employees who actually like their job and feel that it's more than just a paycheck! How refreshing in today's airline industry!!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I've never flown PenAir, but I've interacted a bit with their employees at the gate, and they've been happy and helpful most of the time.

The word around the UAA flight training office was (at least when I was taking lessons) that Era is where the safe pilots went and PenAir is where the hotshots, who weren't afraid to take chances, went. Of course, you probably need to be a hotshot pilot to fly to the places PenAir does--if you diverted a the first sign of inclement weather, you'd never actually get where you were going, since there is no such thing as non-inclement weather in Southwest Alaska...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:12 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Have flown several times on PenAir - truly a great experience. Glad they went the extra mile for you. Serving the communities they serve is a little different calling and gives them a little different passenger demographic...so they're probably not burned out by all of us demanding MVPG's who complain about how uncomfortable the F seats are...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.