AS to HNL

Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by IStream
You're right, $250 ain't much in the context of a once every 5 years trip but the cheapskate in me says "but it's an extra 20% cash outlay"...
You're talking to the king of cheapskate. I was mostly commenting on booking the Peak F Award to HNL. People think just because they have lots of miles that the trips are essentially free but as you already know that many miles has a lot of value. But my comments come a little late since your trip is next month. I think I booked CX in F from YVR to Australia via HKG for like 145K each. That's over a $20,000 flight if booked with cash. I will PM you strategy to get some miles back.
5 days is way to little time off but I have to assume you own your own business or are in high level sales. HNL can be done in 5 days because we never stay there longer than that.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by channa
NWA is available in F at the lower level for nearly every day in July. So basically you're paying an extra 100K or so for a couple DVD player rentals and maybe slightly nicer food.
Thanks for the heads-up, channa. I got F in both directions on AS for peak in one direction and saver in the other. I went back and checked and it was actually 112.5K (75K + 37.5K), not 120K as I had originally posted.

I checked today and I can get NW F in both directions for 80K, but only if I am willing to take their red-eye home. The 32.5K (X2) delta is well worth it for me to have the more convenient AS flight home on Friday since I'll be back on a plane headed East come the following Monday.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 2:15 am

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
There's tons of food places to eat in Waikiki as well as good entertainment options close by.

In Waikiki there's Giavanni Pastrami's, PF Changs, Yardhouse..etc those type of restaurants. I would also recommend the Pineapple Room in Macy's at the Ala Moana Center. If you go right outside of Waikiki on Kapahulu Avenue you can find a bunch of good restaurants. Rainbow's Drive-Inn and Ono Hawaiian are two of my favorite restaurants. If you're willing to spend some money I would go to Alan Wong's which is Hawaii's best restaurant.

For nightlife in Waikiki there's Senor Frogs, Rum Fire, and a bunch of stuff on the Waikiki Beach Walk.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:05 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Like others have said parking in waikiki is next to impossible. My suggestion is if you aint leaving the area you dont need a car as its more of a hassle than its worth although Im a young 30 something so walking distances isnt much issue. Check to see if your hotel charges a ridiculous amount to park the car because some of them can be insanely high. Then if you decide to take a day or 2 out of the area(to Dole or Pearl Harbor for instance) you can just get a car downtown. I think the F service is pretty good. We had the new digiplayerXT. Its a little wider screen and there are some more functions available on it like games. Playing tetris and sipping on Longboards made the flight pass by pretty fast . Also as a tip leaving HNL can be a bit confusing. The AS checkin is in the middle of delta and AS has contracted them to provide service. At first I wasnt sure why someone with a Delta uniform was checking me in but then I figured it out especially when I got to the gate and it too was marked in Delta logos and the ramp equipment was Delta equipment.

PS: my lady is now hooked on Hawaii and I think hawaii on some island or another is going to be an annual event. It was the first time she ever rode in F, and she now realizes why I always said once you experience F you will never want to sit in a coach cabin again....and will get irritated when you have to!

Last edited by ANC; Jun 21, 2008 at 6:10 pm
Old Jun 22, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by ANC
We had the new digiplayerXT. Its a little wider screen and there are some more functions available on it like games. Playing tetris and sipping on Longboards made the flight pass by pretty fast

Oh, I didn't know the digeplayer had been upgraded! On my BOS-PDX flight on Weds they still had the old digeplayer 5500s, which I think are a bit long in the tooth. Is the movie selection still the same on the new dige? I wish they would offer a better movie selection.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:06 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by EIPremier
Oh, I didn't know the digeplayer had been upgraded! On my BOS-PDX flight on Weds they still had the old digeplayer 5500s, which I think are a bit long in the tooth. Is the movie selection still the same on the new dige? I wish they would offer a better movie selection.
same movies, I also only had it from SEA-HNL. The HNL-ANC flight had the normal didgiplayer. XT also has the ability to connect 2 headsets so 2 people could watch the same movie together
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'm excited to try the new XT player~ Saw it on digeplayer's website earlier in the year and was wondering if they'd UG.

The biggest improvement IMHO is the ability to connect to wireless! (When the AS wireless goes online- whether or not AS implements the digiplayer's wifi it I don't know but hope they do... )

http://digeplayer.com/products.php

On further reading, it sounds like the wireless is optional, so I hope they chose it.

It also sports a 60 gig HD, so maybe they can provide additional movies.

Last edited by beckoa; Jun 22, 2008 at 4:13 pm
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:33 pm
ANC

I didnt notice any wireless features on it or on the menus for it but then again I wasnt aware it had that capability so didnt really look for it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.