Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Q400 is the only choice for a non stop SEA-RNO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

What a pity. This could easily be a 737. Oh well.

This used to be a jet route (unless I am thinking of another airline). Why is AS expanding the use of the Q400s?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:11 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
fuel economy
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:10 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
It is a jet route. Just not on AS

Any problems with flying a WN 737?
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:45 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
AS has stated that yields are not high enough in this market with these fuel prices to profitably fly a 737 on this route. Thus, the switch to the Q400.

In plain English: There aren't enough butts in seats, paying a high enough fare to continue flying a jet.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
No problem with Q400's I'd get used to it the turboprop or open fanjet are going to be in for the next 50 years.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:02 am

I actually like the Q400 on this route, at least when the weather's nice. Great views all the way up, plus the trademark QX free beer.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:51 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

SEA-RNO = 563 miles. Long flight in a prop. What is the longest Dash flight offered by QX?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
SEA-RNO = 563 miles. Long flight in a prop. What is the longest Dash flight offered by QX?
I don't know if they still run it, but I remember seeing them do SJC-PDX which is 569 miles. I can't imagine they'll run the Q400s on the PDX-LAX route. A 2:30 flight on a prop doesn't sound like fun. Regardless of the free beer...
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, PC Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by MileageAddict

I think this is the new winner! Previous candidates included BOI-SJC at 523 and LAX-RDD at 501.

According to Bombardier, although the Q400 has a range of over 1300 nautical miles, it's really designed to compete against regional jets and small airliners on routes of less than 400 miles. It loses some of it's edge on routes over that becuase it's in the air burning fuel longer than a jet would be on a route of that length. Clearly, Alaska has run the numbers and this is the best choice on the route in terms of economics.

Passenger comfort is harder to quantify. The Q400 is the best turboprop I have ever been on in terms of headroom, noise level and seat comfort (I can still remember being rattled around on a Shorts 360 years ago). Sometimes the "A la Cart" system beats fighting for overhead bin space. But it's still a turboprop, and it works best (from a comfort standpoint) on flights of 60 minutes or less.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
YEG-SEA, currently a CR7 route was DH4 for a while recently and I just hope they have a better solution if they get ride of CR7s since 559 miles takes a fair bit longer in a prop.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP
Does anyone have any idea what will happen to the current QX PDX-Southern California flights when the RJ's are gone? Back to AS I hope.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
isherwood, it's hard to say at this point. Alaska Air Group intends to fly the RJ's until they are sold. That might take a while. By that point, if oil continues to be sky-high, I think the chances of seeing Q400's on these routes is high(er). If fuel prices calm down, AS might move some of their smaller 737's to these routes as they acquire more -800's.

I don't have any inside information. This is just my best guess...
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Silver, Best Western Gold
Don't forget BOI-LAX . . . it's 674 miles and has been operated with the Q400 for many years now
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I didn't see it myself, but someone said there was a newspaper article (ADN, but I'd assume it was from a wire service and printed elsewhere, too) with reports that some experts (whoever they are) expect oil prices to drop back down to the $60/bbl mark in the next 3-4 years.

No idea what the veracity of those reports are, but if it does happen, I wonder if QX will change its mind about the RJs...
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:36 am

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Originally Posted by jackal
I didn't see it myself, but someone said there was a newspaper article (ADN, but I'd assume it was from a wire service and printed elsewhere, too) with reports that some experts (whoever they are) expect oil prices to drop back down to the $60/bbl mark in the next 3-4 years.

No idea what the veracity of those reports are, but if it does happen, I wonder if QX will change its mind about the RJs...
I predict that come early November--mid October in absentee states--that oil prices will suffer a short lived collapse of $80/bbl until going back up for four years. Though it won't be enough to save the CR7's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.