Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by rustykettel

But you're easy to please. As soon as they stopped serving Kirkwood Pasta, it was blue skies...
The new FrooFroo pastas are quite nice, but I still miss the kale and Quinoa
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Really? I haven't been on a flight since July 10th. I am shaking...... I am heading to LAX with a friend who is going back to KGL.

I am doing a Status Match to Premier Platinum with UA and need to earn 18K PQM to retain it through January 2021. Thought that since I was in LA anyway, why not do it all in one run! Destination HKG..... So yes, UA & HKG. At least my very first flight will be in F LAX-SFO if that is any consolation. Route LAX-SFO-HKG-GUM-HNL-SFO-PHX. 20,088 PQM & wait for it..... 8388 Award Miles.

Remember, I am always the first to admit my craziness. I am exempt from PQD and status would be nice if flying SQ for AS accural. I am also interested in UAs new non-stop service EWR-CPT starting in December.

James
United isn't terrible, but not exactly enjoyable. In the last year, I've flown 6-7 segments - all but the last two in mainline F (because of tens-of-dollars upgrades for non-status ). Their domestic F service leaves a lot to be desired - one 3-hr flight had no meal service and only 1 drink service. The FAs were apathetic to everyone except the occasional GS member in F. While I can appreciate that an airline would provide special service to FFs (As AS does), it doesn't mean you ignore everyone else too. Their Basic Economy (I don't purchase it, but it still affects me indirectly) is terrible and always causes people to get angry at gate agents.

My last flight (OO-operated DEN-RKS) had water service due to the duration. The FA quickly walked the aisle with a bottle of water stopping to offer it to only 2 rows. She walked right past me while I tried to get her attention. When I asked for water, she seemed annoyed.

OTOH, I will keep flying them as my AS-alternate because they serve a lot of rural communities that I semi-frequently travel to where there is no AS service. And their app is more functional even if it is ugly.
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by sturges
United isn't terrible, but not exactly enjoyable. In the last year, I've flown 6-7 segments - all but the last two in mainline F (because of tens-of-dollars upgrades for non-status ). Their domestic F service leaves a lot to be desired - one 3-hr flight had no meal service and only 1 drink service. The FAs were apathetic to everyone except the occasional GS member in F. While I can appreciate that an airline would provide special service to FFs (As AS does), it doesn't mean you ignore everyone else too. Their Basic Economy (I don't purchase it, but it still affects me indirectly) is terrible and always causes people to get angry at gate agents.

My last flight (OO-operated DEN-RKS) had water service due to the duration. The FA quickly walked the aisle with a bottle of water stopping to offer it to only 2 rows. She walked right past me while I tried to get her attention. When I asked for water, she seemed annoyed.

OTOH, I will keep flying them as my AS-alternate because they serve a lot of rural communities that I semi-frequently travel to where there is no AS service. And their app is more functional even if it is ugly.
Yep that's UA next week I am connecting at ORD from AS to UA to PWM then taking UA to Dulles later on in the week good thing short flights
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
I have trademarked that phrase and will expect a large royalty checked to be delivered to me personally in short order.

I have also trademarked:

Friends don't let enemies fly United
Friends don't let ex-wives fly United and
Friends don't let XXXXX fly United (where (XXXXX) is any organic or non-organic material
I understand you may accept wine.

​​​
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by edgewood49
On another note has anyone seen a slight decline in the "friendly skies" of Alaska Airlines? More in particular the gate agents. I have had two really bad experiences asking simple questions one that caused me to walk away and open up Delta on my phone to see if there was a open flight to BOI from SEA. If it were not for the fact that there were no decent seats left, all centers I would have taken it. Still pondering writing AS. just hate cut and paste answers
I'd pick up a phone and call Customer Care. Unfortunate.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
I understand you may accept wine.

​​​
Spanish wines are preferred but something from Eastern Washington state will suffice. Penalties apply if payment is not made by midnight this Friday.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by edgewood49
On another note has anyone seen a slight decline in the "friendly skies" of Alaska Airlines? More in particular the gate agents. I have had two really bad experiences asking simple questions one that caused me to walk away and open up Delta on my phone to see if there was a open flight to BOI from SEA. If it were not for the fact that there were no decent seats left, all centers I would have taken it. Still pondering writing AS. just hate cut and paste answers
Surprising to hear that about BOI, they have been super nice each time I fly out of there. What I have noticed is at SEA is that there are a LOT of folks coming up to the GAs and asking for better seats or upgrades to FC despite the announcements that it is "a very full flight, we need xxx more people to check their bag free of charge". So, I can imagine it would be easy for a GA to slip into the "what part of full flight did you not hear" mode, but even so I have not seen abruptness or rudeness to those passengers. I cringe now each time my departure gate is at anything but N, because the new lounge is such an escape from the massive crowds at SEA. It is obvious that cruise season is in full swing. (even the ferry yesterday, mid day from Bremerton to Seattle was much more full than I have ever seen it at other than rush hour commutes.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ctporter
... What I have noticed is at SEA is that there are a LOT of folks coming up to the GAs and asking for better seats or upgrades to FC despite the announcements that it is "a very full flight, we need xxx more people to check their bag free of charge". So, I can imagine it would be easy for a GA to slip into the "what part of full flight did you not hear" mode, but even so I have not seen abruptness or rudeness to those passengers. ...
one of my last departures (C17, IIRC) the GA said "This is a completely full flight" when the screen clearly said "Capacity 145, booked 118, checked in 117" ... I gestured toward the screen and (with a big grin) said "I know you're probably going off a script for that announcement, but this says there are 27 empty seats" ..."oh, that means the BINS are completely full; there have to be something like 60 empty seats before we can stop calling for gate-checking carry-on bags"
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:51 am

Surprising to hear that about BOI, they have been super nice each time I fly out of there. What I have noticed is at SEA is that there are a LOT of folks coming up to the GAs and asking for better seats or upgrades to FC despite the announcements that it is "a very full flight, we need xxx more people to check their bag free of charge". So, I can imagine it would be easy for a GA to slip into the "what part of full flight did you not hear" mode, but even so I have not seen abruptness or rudeness to those passengers. I cringe now each time my departure gate is at anything but N, because the new lounge is such an escape from the massive crowds at SEA. It is obvious that cruise season is in full swing. (even the ferry yesterday, mid day from Bremerton to Seattle was much more full than I have ever seen it at other than rush hour commutes.
My issue was at SEA as I was flying back to BOI. And yes I was asking about an earlier flight, I heard the agent final calling for several passengers to which I simply asked do you have any space for a 75K/million miler then the rude reply and would not even look me in the face. Plain rude and it wasn't like there was a rush to her station in fact no one was there! BOI crews are great and go out of their way for us flights are full in and out and more flights being added.
ctporter likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

I was reminded a couple of hours ago that sometimes even AC Transit has more reliable pre departure beverage service than Alaska Airlines. And you can get the hard stuff, too!
pcoll and PaperGlider like this.

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Aug 17, 2019 at 12:32 am
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
Spanish wines are preferred but something from Eastern Washington state will suffice. Penalties apply if payment is not made by midnight this Friday.
Just saw this. Need to dig some of those out
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:14 pm

So I have a question beckoa It has been over a year since I crashed through the million mile mark on AS, so far I have not gotten my bag tags and I have called and written twice. Is there a shortage of MM bag tags? some friends commented that AS didn't give them out as they had theirs on AA/DL. The "letter" took six months and the model plane about three. Nothing from Nothing but there seems to be a diminished value here.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:31 pm

FYI, I hit my MM on May 11, 2019. I did get my MM tags and my gift (wine club membership). I do not recall how long it took, but the letter indicating my gift for the winery was dated July 1. The wine club letter came first, then a bit later the tags came. Are you talking to Mileage Plan or Customer Care?

Last edited by ctporter; Aug 18, 2019 at 3:37 pm Reason: added date of the wine club letter
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
FYI, I hit my MM on May 11, 2019. I did get my MM tags and my gift (wine club membership). I do not recall how long it took, but I think it was in June. The wine club letter came first, then a bit later the tags came. Are you talking to Mileage Plan or Customer Care?
Congratulations, I requalified for MVPG75K on May 11, 2019. I received my MVPG75K tags in August.

James
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Congratulations, I requalified for MVPG75K on May 11, 2019. I received my MVPG75K tags in August.

James
As of today, I still have 3230 miles to get to 75k for the year, sine I also have 5 trips booked and need to book two more I know I will make it. When depends on if other trips need to get booked between now and my last already booked flight. Congrats on getting too 75K!
Flying for Fun likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.