Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Anyway happy flying and please what ever you do don't eat Bob W's Chili !! Its like the old expression don't eat yellow snow
OK - I have never heard that one and I am not a newbie.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP
Thanks Mikey, seacarl, and Edgewood49! Ill probably try out their lounge day pass the next time I fly out of SEA.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
I believe he means Ben's Chili Bowl (with a DCA location)
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by samosa
I believe he means Ben's Chili Bowl (with a DCA location)
You haven't seen BOB W ? Where are you BOB ???

Last edited by edgewood49; Jan 7, 2022 at 3:00 pm Reason: additional thoughts
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:18 pm

Due to snow-related changes in plans, I got to DCA earlier than planned today, so I used that as an excuse to get the lounge pass Id been pondering. Is it worth the money? Time will tell. Probably not, but Im going to indulge myself with it for the next year anyway.

I went to both the American Admirals Club and the United Club. The American lounge was hard to find because the location description (Mezzanine level, after security) doesnt seem to be accurate anymore. It looks like they recently moved the TSA security checkpoint. Im also not even sure if I was in the Terminal B or Terminal C lounge because I didnt see wayfinding within DCA referring terminals, just gates. The American lounge I used was near gate 24 I think, whatever terminal that is.

The United lounge was much easier to find because the location description gave a gate (Gate 11). Overall I personally liked the United lounge better. Possibly the same amount of space for each, but Americans lounge was broken up into more rooms. The United lounge just felt nicer, more spacious, and quieter (fewer people theremight have just been my timing). My partner really enjoyed the quietness of the United Lounge too.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:23 pm

Be careful with United. I bought a lifetime membership way back when it was the Continental Presidents club. Anytime access flying or not. United took over and kept everthing the same until a year or two ago. Then they imposed a requirement to actually be flying Untied Airlines. That screwed me since Untied does not go too many places out of Seattle (they had a lot more flights out of SEA years ago).

The Alaska club will allow you in regardless of what Airline you are flying, you simply must be flying, as you have to show a boarding pass. WIth the Alaska Plus membership you can get into the AA lounges when flying Alaska or American.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:27 pm

Thanks for the tip, I will watch for that! I actually did get the Alaska + membership. For whatever reason (I dont really understand since United isnt oneworld), theres a handful of United lounges that Alaska + gives you access to, and DCA happened to be one of them. Otherwise I probably wouldnt go out of my way or pay additional fees to get access to a United one.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by SeattleWanderer
Thanks for the tip, I will watch for that! I actually did get the Alaska + membership. For whatever reason (I dont really understand since United isnt oneworld), theres a handful of United lounges that Alaska + gives you access to, and DCA happened to be one of them. Otherwise I probably wouldnt go out of my way or pay additional fees to get access to a United one.
this was only the case (as far as I know) because before the security redesign the aa club required going through different security. United was the same airside Gates. It may change now with all gates easily accessible.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I flew through SEA this morning but had just a few minutes there.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:21 pm

Yes joining the Alaska club was a much better choice than joining the untied club.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Due to snow-related changes in plans, I got to DCA earlier than planned today, so I used that as an excuse to get the lounge pass Id been pondering. Is it worth the money? Time will tell. Probably not, but Im going to indulge myself with it for the next year anyway.

I went to both the American Admirals Club and the United Club. The American lounge was hard to find because the location description (Mezzanine level, after security) doesnt seem to be accurate anymore. It looks like they recently moved the TSA security checkpoint. Im also not even sure if I was in the Terminal B or Terminal C lounge because I didnt see wayfinding within DCA referring terminals, just gates. The American lounge I used was near gate 24 I think, whatever terminal that is.

The United lounge was much easier to find because the location description gave a gate (Gate 11). Overall I personally liked the United lounge better. Possibly the same amount of space for each, but Americans lounge was broken up into more rooms. The United lounge just felt nicer, more spacious, and quieter (fewer people theremight have just been my timing). My partner really enjoyed the quietness of the United Lounge too.
Lounge memberships should always be driven by your flying patterns. For me, it is a case of flying out of SEA to mostly AS destinations. I tend to book my return flights later in the evening or day, so as to be sure to finish my project on enough time to return to my airport. When I get done before my return flight the AS clubs and partner clubs make a great place to await my home flight, There are many times though when I do not have enough time between my return to the rental car/airport to take advantage of a club or lounge access. You have to look at your flight patterns to decide what works for you. I have been VERY pleased with my AS lounge memberships especially when connecting out of ORD. The Admirals Club has gone above and beyond what is need for me many many times.
samosa and SeattleWanderer like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Mikey
Be careful with United. I bought a lifetime membership way back when it was the Continental Presidents club. Anytime access flying or not. United took over and kept everthing the same until a year or two ago. Then they imposed a requirement to actually be flying Untied Airlines. That screwed me since Untied does not go too many places out of Seattle (they had a lot more flights out of SEA years ago).

The Alaska club will allow you in regardless of what Airline you are flying, you simply must be flying, as you have to show a boarding pass. WIth the Alaska Plus membership you can get into the AA lounges when flying Alaska or American.
Just an addition for historical accuracy - Continental took over and kept the United lipstick.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Mikey
It used to be that if you bought a day pass and ended up joining within a day the amount you paid for the pass was applied to your membership. You may want to ask at the front desk of the club when you buy a day pass. And remember that the Alaska airlines card gets you a half price day pass.

As for whether it is worth it - that is up to you. I bought myself a membership as a treat to myself and I love having a nice place to relax and have a drink or a snack before a flight. Whether it is worth the money is another story...
You now get 30 days if you're a first time member.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...ounge/day-pass

SeattleWanderer since it reads that you bought a day pass via the AS card then bought a Lounge+ membership a short time later for the first time you should be able to get that initial $25 refunded. When you email the address above they'll just need your MP number and the last 4 digits of your card to quickly process the refund.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOB W
Look Up at Post # 7262/63

I was mentioning your "chili" after you got me for "Chili's" closing at ANC

Happy New Year

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.