Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by tom911
My upgrades have been clearing at the 21-24 hour range since August. I'd expect you're looking at the same upgrade window.
It seems pointless to wait that long when not a single seat is sold. What is the point of promising 75K's that upgrades will be processed at 5 days out?
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by seacarl
What is the point of promising 75K's that upgrades will be processed at 5 days out?
I suspect that the typical upgrade process, based on the entire first class cabin of 12-16 seats being available for sale/upgrade, doesn't work well when you add in seat blocking and reduced inventory, so they just turn on the upgrade processor at the 24 hour mark instead. I've had 15 flights from August-November and only missed one upgrade, and in that case had a row of 3 seats to myself, so they do seem to still be clearing , just closer to departure, so can't complain.

Painful to cancel NYC trips in December and January, and not even be able to look at BOS, due to quarantine rules in play. Loved flying to the northeast in the winter (I was born in NYC). The SFO schedule is so thin now that a lot of connections require routing through SEA or LAX (and going through LAX raises main cabin fare to as much as $110 extra on trips like FLL, more than I'm willing to pay to get on the upgrade or if my plans change and I want to refund as a 75K).
Old Dec 10, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I suspect that the typical upgrade process, based on the entire first class cabin of 12-16 seats being available for sale/upgrade, doesn't work well when you add in seat blocking and reduced inventory, so they just turn on the upgrade processor at the 24 hour mark instead. I've had 15 flights from August-November and only missed one upgrade, and in that case had a row of 3 seats to myself, so they do seem to still be clearing , just closer to departure, so can't complain.

Painful to cancel NYC trips in December and January, and not even be able to look at BOS, due to quarantine rules in play. Loved flying to the northeast in the winter (I was born in NYC). The SFO schedule is so thin now that a lot of connections require routing through SEA or LAX (and going through LAX raises main cabin fare to as much as $110 extra on trips like FLL, more than I'm willing to pay to get on the upgrade or if my plans change and I want to refund as a 75K).
Well I got my email from AS regarding OW status as a Lifetime Gold I get Sapphire.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Well I got my email from AS regarding OW status as a Lifetime Gold I get Sapphire.
I probably won't make it to the lifetime Gold tier at Alaska, but already have Sapphire with my AA lifetime platinum status (and the equivalent lifetime status with UA, too). All of those come in handy - have flown AA and UA this year in addition to Alaska.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Seat 1W!

Police said officers were called to McCarran International Airport about 1:30 p.m. Saturday after a man jumped a perimeter fence and climbed onto the wing of an Alaska Airlines flight headed to Portland.
https://www.oregonlive.com/nation/20...s-airport.html
Old Dec 15, 2020, 2:02 pm

Maybe a AA flyer who didn't get his upgrade ?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hey Now! It's a bit late in the year but I've got a couple of MVP Gold Guest UGs available. Drop me a PM with Record Locator if you can use 'em. First come, first served.
I won''t get home til 600p Alaska time tonight.
Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just got a “Get ready for your trip!” email for a trip on 10 April

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 21, 2020 at 11:09 pm
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Have a project at SFO, they added it to an existing trip I have in Sacramento. No problem getting flight cancelled and rebooked but I was faced with the dilemma of booking the 2:30ish flight or the 5:45ish flight home. The project should go quickly, as all the jet bridges are next to each other but if you count on getting done quickly that is almost a guarantee that things will go sideways. On the other hand I could be done as early as 11am and without a lounge to wait in that makes for a very long time at SFO with extremely limited options for food and work space. I booked the afternoon flight knowing I could SDC if needed. Wish there was a lounge at SFO and SJC too! Which brings me to my question, is the Cathay lounge open? I assume no food or beverages?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ctporter
Have a project at SFO, they added it to an existing trip I have in Sacramento. No problem getting flight cancelled and rebooked but I was faced with the dilemma of booking the 2:30ish flight or the 5:45ish flight home. The project should go quickly, as all the jet bridges are next to each other but if you count on getting done quickly that is almost a guarantee that things will go sideways. On the other hand I could be done as early as 11am and without a lounge to wait in that makes for a very long time at SFO with extremely limited options for food and work space. I booked the afternoon flight knowing I could SDC if needed. Wish there was a lounge at SFO and SJC too! Which brings me to my question, is the Cathay lounge open? I assume no food or beverages?
No idea about CX, but I believe you can use the new AA lounge with your AL membership (in T1). Probably no F&B inside right now, but you should have ample work space. As far as "limited work space," I'd expect the current state of T2 is that there is ample quiet work space in the terminal right now. I've not been there in a few months, but unless you were right near gates with a departing flight, there would have been ample desk space with multiple outlets available.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No idea about CX, but I believe you can use the new AA lounge with your AL membership (in T1). Probably no F&B inside right now, but you should have ample work space. As far as "limited work space," I'd expect the current state of T2 is that there is ample quiet work space in the terminal right now. I've not been there in a few months, but unless you were right near gates with a departing flight, there would have been ample desk space with multiple outlets available.
I flew SFO-PDX on January 12th at 12:10 pm. Terminal 2 was very quiet. I was the only one in TSA Pre and nobody else came through in the short time I cleared. There were a few establishments open including hot/cold food options to take with you. My flight, an E175, had 8 in the front, 7 in the back. Many quiet areas to work.

James
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:39 pm

Has anyone tried to book Europe award ticket on American ? GAG ME WITH A SPOON coach miles +210 Coach London to DFW then onward F 535 add on SO much for AS joining OW the bringing of being shafted, At this redemption rate its BA period. That just really gets me sorry surcharge for crappy planes, lack luster service and questionable food.

Note this appears when your booking from Europe to the US, going over no change but when I look for one way London to Boise hammer time !!!

Last edited by edgewood49; Jan 16, 2021 at 3:49 pm Reason: new information
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Has anyone tried to book Europe award ticket on American ? GAG ME WITH A SPOON coach miles +210 Coach London to DFW then onward F 535 add on SO much for AS joining OW the bringing of being shafted, At this redemption rate its BA period. That just really gets me sorry surcharge for crappy planes, lack luster service and questionable food.

Note this appears when your booking from Europe to the US, going over no change but when I look for one way London to Boise hammer time !!!
Most of AA’s European offerings are lackluster as compared to last year, at least for my needs. I booked BA instead from FCO to SEA/FAI in business for 60k + $270 -- worth the extra cost to return in lie-flat comfort. Will put separate AS/AA bookings together for the trip over to BCN as the current offerings are an overpriced, constipated mess.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:50 pm

I try to avoid long haul trans-Atlantic travel from the UK as the combination of high departure taxes and, when flying BA, additional fuel surcharges on award travel, make it prohibitively expensive. AA flyers pay these same taxes and fees, too, so not unique to Alaska flyers.

One thing I do when flying back to the U.S. is originate outside the UK. Dublin's a good starting point. If you fly nonstop on AA DUB-PHL, continuing to SFO, in business, the taxes are $46. If you want to connect at LHR and do BA on all segments, the taxes will be less that if you had originated there (on a sample BA F LHR-SFO starting in DUB, the taxes/fees are $272, and in economy $225). Quite easy to do a day trip rail/ferry from Euston Station in London to the Dublin ferry port from 44.50GPB (about $61) to get the savings for Dublin departures. Nice trip if you've never done it before, Could also fly the segment, too.

rustykettel and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 7:35 am

I try to avoid long haul trans-Atlantic travel from the UK as the combination of high departure taxes and, when flying BA, additional fuel surcharges on award travel, make it prohibitively expensive. AA flyers pay these same taxes and fees, too, so not unique to Alaska flyers.

One thing I do when flying back to the U.S. is originate outside the UK. Dublin's a good starting point. If you fly nonstop on AA DUB-PHL, continuing to SFO, in business, the taxes are $46. If you want to connect at LHR and do BA on all segments, the taxes will be less that if you had originated there (on a sample BA F LHR-SFO starting in DUB, the taxes/fees are $272, and in economy $225). Quite easy to do a day trip rail/ferry from Euston Station in London to the Dublin ferry port from 44.50GPB (about $61) to get the savings for Dublin departures. Nice trip if you've never done it before, Could also fly the segment, too.

Thank you that's a great idea! I had never liked to book AA metal from London before now I know. I agree with the other poster if one looks at the "Vig" the extra for BA is well worth it, flying AA international is akin to be quarantined with my ex wife
tom911 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.