Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
... I requalified for MVPG75K on May 11, 2019. I received my MVPG75K tags in August. James
you DO know there's a standalone thread for this, yes?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
rant about accuracy (or lack thereof) of flight / gate times

AS774 (925pm SEA-BWI), supposed to start boarding at 845 ... no jet at the gate when I get there at 842, GA says the inbound is due at 9

all is not entirely lost, because I now have a chance to visit the new Alaska Lounge in N ... where I see this on the flight status board

per AS Flight Status, AS765 pushed 45 min late and blocked in at 907; per FlightRadar24 it actually took off 1+15 late

you would think that, at some time during the 5+26 flight, more accurate status would have propagated through the system for display

new departure time is posted as 1007 ... stay tuned; my first guess is 1015

< /rant >

the Schillings grapefruit & chili cider is REALLY good

update: well I am officially surprised — door closed at 1004, AS flight status has us out at 1009

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 18, 2019 at 11:15 pm
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by edgewood49
So I have a question beckoa It has been over a year since I crashed through the million mile mark on AS, so far I have not gotten my bag tags and I have called and written twice. Is there a shortage of MM bag tags? some friends commented that AS didn't give them out as they had theirs on AA/DL. The "letter" took six months and the model plane about three. Nothing from Nothing but there seems to be a diminished value here.
Wow that's crazy.

I obtained my status : New route: Seattle-Pittsburgh starting Sept. 6, 2018

I received my tags/card in December/January. Took a while. I'd try to escalate with Customer Care.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
you DO know there's a standalone thread for this, yes?
You had me excited there for a minute but I don't see a standalone thread for Elites crossing a milestone on the same calendar day and comparing how quickly luggage tags were received thereafter for their achievement.

I am very much aware of the irrelevant thread noted. But thank you, I think!

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 19, 2019 at 1:48 am
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa

Friends don't let friends fly UA
Quick update: I don't want someone rolling their eyes 767 times....

The UA flights were much better than expected, I was pleasantly surprised. Inflight crew were friendly & attentive on all six flights. No issues with GAs. Lounges were good. I accessed the KrisFlyer and Thai lounges in HKG too. I did a SDC without hassle. Miles posted for each segment shortly after landing. I needed 18K PQM and earned a little over 20K. Overall, better experience than flying AA. RDM earnings are pretty much worthless though. I have *G for the next 18 months.

Originally Posted by williwaw
Did the GUM-HNL earlier this year on UA. Pack snacks and don't get your hopes too high....
Thanks, I did take some snacks. Only pretzels served on a 7 hour flight is absurd considering there was a full hot meal in Y on the 4.5 hour HKG-GUM flight with a 10:30 pm departure. HKG catered, good portion and delicious. The beverage cart made many rounds and offer of water in between though.

James
PABE likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wow that's crazy.

I obtained my status : New route: Seattle-Pittsburgh starting Sept. 6, 2018

I received my tags/card in December/January. Took a while. I'd try to escalate with Customer Care.
I have escalated three times now and nothing. As I told the last agent I have 25 K on other carriers this year so far. Needless to say I am very disappointed in AS in treatment of loyal flyers. Thats fine, just came back from a week long run through Maine to DC and back, United, Delta and one AS flight. Delta was the best, AS was next UA just sucked. Their planes are truly ghetto birds these days. AS from SEA to ORD red eye serving hot turkey sandwich at 3 am is pretty gross everyone is sleeping and here comes that smell! Old plane service ok,
Old Aug 27, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I had a really nice flight a couple of days ago. A two hour flight. Full PDB choices, decent meal with a real dessert, lovely and attentive crew. The flight would have been on AS last year, but wait, there's no more DEN/SFO. And so I took UA, as the only carrier with a premium cabin from DEN to either OAK or SFO. At some point after booking, there was an aircraft swap to a 777, so I even ended up with a lie flat seat and a large video monitor, where I watched a Japanese film.

Boarding - AS wins that one. UA has a Zone 1 line and a Zone 2 line, then the 3/4/5 go afterward. But there are a number of preboard groups that don't line up at all, including GS, 1K, babies, military, disabled - maybe 7 items, and while I didn't keep count, that was probably 75+ people on this high density 777. I was #9 in the Zone 1 line, and that ended up snaking out very far - maybe 40+ people. I know I wasn't the 100th plus to board, but I'm confident that I was at least #75 .

Aircraft - I got lucky. I booked a 757, so I'd have had lesser pitch than AS, and no IFE except on my own device.

Crew - what a pleasant crew. Attentive, attentive, attentive. With an overstuffed plane and lots of commotion, a full bar PDB service. During service, never an empty glass.

F&B - a tasty 3 course single tray service. The red wine (a choice, shocking!) was pretty good, too. That was a switch from the white (my first beverage), which wasn't so great.

No mints distributed prior to landing. AS wins that one, too.

After that flight (published as Dinner), my thought as to why it had that level of service was to keep its good and high value customers happy. There's no direct premium cabin competition on the route. Other than the gate mess, and it was quite a mess (and to add insult, I got a nasty paper cut from a file folder when I opened my bag to take out some pretzels - violins, please), the UA experience, on that one flight, on that one day, was pretty damned pleasant.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
AS774 (925pm SEA-BWI), supposed to start boarding at 845 ... no jet at the gate when I get there at 842, GA says the inbound is due at 9

all is not entirely lost, because I now have a chance to visit the new Alaska Lounge in N ... where I see this on the flight status board

Haha...I saw one at SFO few weeks back. Delayed inbound from SEA estimated at 11:19 am, my flight showing as boarding at 10:40 am and departing 11:20 am. Needless to say, this did not happen. Inbound arrived at 11:27, we departed about 75 min late and arrived about 90 min late because of Air Traffic Control. Originally, flifo was showing us arriving 15 min early into SEA...

On the other hand, I had the opposite experience at SEA. We boarded on-time for a 6:35 am departure. After door closure, the captain announced a mechanic was coming on board due to an indicator light. I immediately got a notification from AS that the flight was delayed until 7:45 am and felt that sinking feeling set in. The cabin door was reopened, the mechanic reset a switch and apparently, that was all that was needed. They closed the door and we pushed back only four minutes late and arrived 27 minutes early. I was impressed!
NoLaGent and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:55 pm

Anyone know where a picture of the a321 exit row crew seat might exist? Google is not coming through
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Anyone know where a picture of the a321 exit row crew seat might exist? Google is not coming through
This video has a sort-of look between 2:27 and 2:37:
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Anyone know what happens to a economy food pre-order if you get upgraded to first? Just gets ignored, right? I haven't bothered with this before as I have irrational Bonvoy-esque fear of bugs in the upgrade system that prevent those with food reservations from getting upgraded so could use the wisdom of those here to get past that phobia
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by leland
Anyone know what happens to a economy food pre-order if you get upgraded to first? Just gets ignored, right? I haven't bothered with this before as I have irrational Bonvoy-esque fear of bugs in the upgrade system that prevent those with food reservations from getting upgraded so could use the wisdom of those here to get past that phobia
It seems to depend on the individual crew. Some have asked if I would like it (and pay for it, of course), others didn't and I assume they just pool it with the rest of the non-spoken for items and sell it. I would also assume if you get upgraded at the start of the window before preordering closes it will cancel the preorder but maybe not?
leland likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by leland
I have been upgraded three or four times within the last six weeks after selecting a meal in the main cabin. In every case I was asked by the F flight attendant whether I would like the meal in first class or the one I had selected from the back. At least twice I chose the one from the back and there was never a question of whether I had to pay for it or not. It was simply presented in place of the F meal. Also, in both cases I was extremely glad that I had the meal from the main cabin because what was offered upfront was very unappetizing.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOB W

I have been upgraded three or four times within the last six weeks after selecting a meal in the main cabin. In every case I was asked by the F flight attendant whether I would like the meal in first class or the one I had selected from the back. At least twice I chose the one from the back and there was never a question of whether I had to pay for it or not. It was simply presented in place of the F meal. Also, in both cases I was extremely glad that I had the meal from the main cabin because what was offered upfront was very unappetizing.
There have been many times that I like many of us have preferred the main cabin offering over FC. Just came off another 4 flight quickie up and down the coast all I can say is 2.5 hours early flight coffee and chips ? Really? But then nobody fly's AS for the culinary experience ! I have been somewhat impressed with DL's cabin service.

Another note I am still waiting on my MM bag tags. Three calls two letters one year Just saying AS
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Wasn't exactly sure where to put this rant, so dropping it here. Yesterday on my LAX-BOS flight, I was in 17D (pmVX Airbus), a premium class seat. During boarding, seatmaps were showing 17E was empty, and while I was bummed not to get an F upgrade this flight, I was at least excited to have some extra breathing room. Before takeoff, I used the lav and was chatting with FAs in the galley, returning to my seat to find someone sitting in 17E. Oh well, must've been a standby pax or new seat assignment I thought. However, seat maps still showed that seat empty, and FAs brought an item for 18F (empty) from a passenger in a forward row, and she said "oh that's me, I'll take it." I was hoping during service that the FAs would've noticed the seat was meant to be empty while checking elite status and would ask her to move, but nope, she was offered her choice of PC snack, beverages, etc. Despite the few inches of legroom, I don't think I'd personally move myself to a middle seat from a window or aisle. She didn't even have alcohol, so it's not like she was taking advantage of that, either.

Not wanting to be a tattle tale or cause in-flight drama for FAs or other pax, I didn't say anything, but it was certainly annoying. Not to mention she kept putting her feet up in the seat pocket, several times knocking her smoothie she brought on board onto the floor/spilling it onto my legs (didn't even notice or apologize, btw). I guess my question is - what is the best course of action in instances like this? What benefit does elite status "upgrade" or paying for PC seats add if other passengers just move themselves there without any policing by FAs? I'll definitely include a note in my Alaska Listens feedback, but I doubt they'll listen/do much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.