Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Thanks for the tips - I'd like to check out at least a little bit of the parade live as it's my first time attending the Rose Bowl & surrounding festivities, but I'm not sure I want to commit to the whole ~3 hour experience by buying a grandstand ticket.

I've been to Rose Bowl stadium before (for regular season game, not Rose Bowl Game) and we discovered that they run a free shuttle from the Parsons Complex parking lot on Walnut to the stadium - but we only found that out upon leaving the game. We got in line not really knowing where in Pasadena the shuttle would drop us off but we figured "Anywhere in Pasadena will be closer to our hotel than here"

Apparently they are running that shuttle for the Rose Bowl as well. Aside from the long wait, wasn't too bad. Trying to get an Uber/Lyft out to the stadium after the game was not an appealing option.

Last edited by nearlysober; Dec 6, 2018 at 5:54 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by BOB W
And here is the response from AS

"I would like to address your concern on your last visit to the Alaska Lounge. Anytime you visit the Lounge you are more than welcome to ask for the channel to be changed and if there is a consensus with the guests who are watching we will gladly change the channel. Please let me know if you have any further concerns."

So, apparently to get something else on the monitor we are expected to stand in front of the screen and take a poll.

As a lifetime United Club member, a 25+ year member of Alaska's Lounge and a longtime Priority Pass holder, I go into airline lounges all the time. The only time I have ever plunked myself in front of a TV screen with intent to watch has been when there was some sporting event I wanted to see. Otherwise, I just find a seat or a work station somewhere else in the lounge and ignore it all. So, to that end I could care less what's on television. I go into Alaska's Anchorage lounge all the time and always manage to find a seat away from the TV area. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I should add that earlier this year I popped into the ANC lounge on a Sunday morning. The TV was on some news type channel (I didn't note which one) and there were a couple of people sat in the nearby seats but they didn't appear to be paying much attention. I knew the Broncos-Jets game was on and asked them if they'd be interested in watching it. They weren't really watching TV so they were fine with it. After that it was a simple matter of asking the receptionist if we could change the channel to the CBS affiliate. No problem. As things turned out the Broncos laid quite an egg in that game and I lost interest after the first half. After I relocated to the workstations at the back of the lounge, I noticed that someone had managed to get the channel changed to a Washington Redskins game - probably a more enthralling contest.

As it currently stands, my biggest complaint with the Alaska Lounges is that they've replaced crackers with "rustic bread" to have with our soup. But even that can be easily addressed. Now, when I know I'm going to have a 2-3 hour layover at ANC or SEA on my outbound flights, I just bring along a zip-loc bag of saltines from home. But that's just me. I don't mind being weird. Or irreverent.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 10, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
With regards to TVs in shared spaces (lounges, bars, etc) I've found that most establishments follow the same general "rules".

If you want the TV changed, you just stand up and ask the audience "Anyone mind if we flip it to X?" If even 1 person says "I'm watching this" and if that person was there before you... then it should stay.
They were there first. Thems the rules.

Of course the bartender (or in this case lounge attendant) does have executive over-ride discretion... they may choose to put on "the big game" even if someone wants to watch something else.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
There is what appears to be SPAM going around as Alaska Lounge asking you to take a survey. It appears to be spam anyone else get it?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:33 am

Anchorage Lounge

Personnel nice - typically packed and ho him offerings
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by zoey59
Personnel nice - typically packed and ho him offerings
Well nothing has changed there! That has to be the most monochrome lounge ever. I think AS is finally admitting their lounge offering is lame at best when one sees the questionnaire sent out. I suggested United. I was flying out of Seattle a few weeks ago during the great "Fog In" on Delta to BOI ( AS has cancelled ) with my Amex card and DL ticket I go into the DL lounge and frankly it was superb as were the staff keeping all of us apprised. Food was actually pretty good keep clean and orderly. Not that I would think about going back to DL left that behind when I moved west many years ago.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I must be in the minority here, because I feel like Alaska's lounges are pretty nice. I am a dues paying member and have been continually since the mid-nineties. The receptionists are always great and Alaska has by farrrrrrrrr the best beers on tap of any U.S. airline lounge I've been to. Everybody offers soup these days, and on the whole I can't say I find Alaska's any better or worse than anyone else's. In the morning the Alaska Lounge has an excellent selection of breakfast breads and a nice oatmeal presentation, not to mention the pancake machine which I've never used. The salad fixings are generally quite good as well.

For sure there's room for improvement in terms of lounge space. We'd all agree that the PDX lounge is too small and that an SFO facility is way overdue. Additionally, if it's Alaska's intent to operate a mini-hub out of SAN, it really ought to find a way to move into the old United Club, perfectly located within mere steps of the gates. I'd also like to see a few workstations installed in the SEA N & C facilities. Other than that, I have no real complaints. I look forward to the opening of the new Seattle lounge next year.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I must be in the minority here, because I feel like Alaska's lounges are pretty nice. I am a dues paying member and have been continually since the mid-nineties. The receptionists are always great and Alaska has by farrrrrrrrr the best beers on tap of any U.S. airline lounge I've been to. Everybody offers soup these days, and on the whole I can't say I find Alaska's any better or worse than anyone else's. In the morning the Alaska Lounge has an excellent selection of breakfast breads and a nice oatmeal presentation, not to mention the pancake machine which I've never used. The salad fixings are generally quite good as well.

For sure there's room for improvement in terms of lounge space. We'd all agree that the PDX lounge is too small and that an SFO facility is way overdue. Additionally, if it's Alaska's intent to operate a mini-hub out of SAN, it really ought to find a way to move into the old United Club, perfectly located within mere steps of the gates. I'd also like to see a few workstations installed in the SEA N & C facilities. Other than that, I have no real complaints. I look forward to the opening of the new Seattle lounge next year.
I have been .....ing about the old UA clubroom since they closed. It's nice space. And for heavens sake has anyone been in that terminal in the afternoons it's zoo
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I have been .....ing about the old UA clubroom since they closed. It's nice space. And for heavens sake has anyone been in that terminal in the afternoons it's zoo
Isn't AS still moving at SAN? Look at all the money saved by not building out a lounge only to leave it shortly....
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Isn't AS still moving at SAN? Look at all the money saved by not building out a lounge only to leave it shortly....
Yes, moving to T2 in Early 2019. I believe the Airspace Lounge is contracted for AS BR and AA AC members, plus Amex Plat holders.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Yes, moving to T2 in Early 2019. I believe the Airspace Lounge is contracted for AS BR and AA AC members, plus Amex Plat holders.
I've been in that AirSpace Lounge as a First Class passenger on BA. That came with a special menu worth of offerings that the usual riff-raff from the Admirals Club and Alaska Lounge would not qualify for. Otherwise it's an okay lounge though per my tastes the old United Club in T1 had a warmer, more comfortable ambiance to it. T2 will be a nice upgrade over the aging and cramped facilities at T1 though...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Has anyone ever actually won the Alaska Listens sweepstakes?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mfolf
Has anyone ever actually won the Alaska Listens sweepstakes?
Some people apparently do:

Has anyone ever actually won the Alaska Listens survey drawing?

...did you win?!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Some people apparently do:

Has anyone ever actually won the Alaska Listens survey drawing?

...did you win?!

Nope Nope and Nope did get a Christmas card from Brad with a coupon for two free WIFI 's Frankly I want my cookies back!!!!!! A million miles and no cookies
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Nope Nope and Nope did get a Christmas card from Brad with a coupon for two free WIFI 's Frankly I want my cookies back!!!!!! A million miles and no cookies
Apparently the new threshold is 2MM for cookies *speculation*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.