Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Reservations agent by text has been fantastic. Even easier than calling in.
I'm hoping to not need it, but at some point reservation texting is going to be very handy for peeps on a plane in IRROPS situations (as long as the wifi is functional.....).
rustykettel likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
QX offers a beer (grain) and wine (fruit). If they wish to offer a cider, it should be place of the fruit option not the grain one At least there wasn’t turbulence today. Two flights yesterday were remain seated ones and in fairness there was some moderate bumps on both. Eventually there really is a wolf.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Reservations agent by text has been fantastic. Even easier than calling in.
Really? I've had the absolute opposite experience. Text agents have very rarely been able to help me at all, where a call to AS will fix things in <5 mins
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOB W
There is lots of content out there that is non-political. Old movies, re-runs, sports, etc. The closest thing to "news" that I want to see in a lounge is the local news, and I can even forego that. YES, it is just one lounge, but it is this ONE lounge that is keeping me from renewing my membership. I gave it up after decades as a member due to this one issue.

And, edgewood, THANK YOU for your service!! I am from a military family (my father served during all of my childhood), so I know a little of what you have done for our country.

Bob I would love to find a news station that is even remotely neutral ! I get sick of all the stations at times MSNBC sickens me as much as Fox pisses you off! We are so split in this country.

NOW someone tell us how it going in AS ? I talked to a number of friends they all said it's bad
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:40 pm

More AS IT woes.

OLCI check-in failing on the last page- “See airport agent”. Decided to call this time instead of just waiting. 30 minutes later, phone agent & her support found the problem as multiple aircraft swaps and fixed it.

Realized I was moved out of the exit row window (Airbus PC) after I hung up and is now unavailable. Call back to see if it’s a real person or a phantom. Agent puts me on hold, comes back about ten minutes later to say that yes, it did show I was in the window, but it was released when I was upgraded, and that the seat was now occupied by someone else. Nothing to be done now but very strange.

Last edited by rustykettel; Dec 4, 2018 at 5:03 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:18 pm

Thumbs down

More AS IT woes.

OLCI check-in failing on the last page- “See airport agent”. Decided to call this time instead of just waiting. 30 minutes later, phone agent & her support found the problem as multiple aircraft swaps and fixed it.

Realized I was moved out of the aisle window (Airbus PC) after I hung up and is now unavailable. Call back to see if it’s a real person or a phantom. Agent puts me on hold, comes back about ten minutes later to say that yes, it did show I was in the window, but it was released when I was upgraded, and that the seat was now occupied by someone else. Nothing to be done now but very strange.
OUCH
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
More AS IT woes.

Realized I was moved out of the aisle window (Airbus PC) after I hung up and is now unavailable. Call back to see if it’s a real person or a phantom. Agent puts me on hold, comes back about ten minutes later to say that yes, it did show I was in the window, but it was released when I was upgraded, and that the seat was now occupied by someone else. Nothing to be done now but very strange.
rustykettel, sorry that happened to you. I ran into the same earlier this week (post here).

What's especially frustrating is this this bug is known by Alaska, is reproducible, and has been around for a while (all of 2018 if not longer, based on my reading of FT threads). When someone is moved by the computer due to a an aircraft swap or the renumbering mess, their ticket seems to gets stuck in limbo. Phone agents and airport agents don't seem to have the tools to fix it. This also consistently breaks the upgrade process. Elites are left on the waitlist, but the upgrader is unable to assign a seat and skips over us. Only the gate agents seem to have the ability to manually override the system and print a ticket with a seat.

Until this is fixed, Alaska should be manually moving people when swaps occur. So far, it appears, they aren't, which leads to these frustrating problems continuing.

I'm considering getting TripIt Pro solely to notify me on equipment swaps. For the FT braintrust, is that the best option for swap alerts? Or is there something better (or cheaper)?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:25 am

I didn’t put two and two together. That’s probably what’s happening. I say happening, because I can’t move from the aisle exit row PC seat to the seemingly vacant bulkhead PC aisle seats. App errors out first as seat no longer available and now as checkin fails. Takes extraordinarily long time to load the seat map to start.

I have a paper BP showing I checked in, and it’s just a short coastal hop so not too worried at this point other than annoyance and wishing to ride in a specific seat before the cabin mods for old times sake. At least two deep on the upgrade list for a single seat when I last checked as well.

EF has some equipment swap functionality but I’m not sure if it granular enough to catch tail swaps within the same equipment code.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:32 am

I didn’t put two and two together. That’s probably what’s happening. I say happening, because I can’t move from the aisle exit row PC seat to the seemingly vacant bulkhead PC aisle seats. App errors out first as seat no longer available and now as checkin fails. Takes extraordinarily long time to load the seat map to start.

I have a paper BP showing I checked in, and it’s just a short coastal hop so not too worried at this point other than annoyance and wishing to ride in a specific seat before the cabin mods for old times sake. At least two deep on the upgrade list for a single seat when I last checked as well.

EF has some equipment swap functionality but I’m not sure if it granular enough to catch tail swaps within the same equipment code.

I have encountered some VA agents that simply are not as use to AS as we would like, this will pass. What won't pass is the slow but steady deterioration I am seeing across the board. Growing pains sure, but it's been long enough now.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:11 pm

No one ever showed up for exit row window, so now I’m really wondering if it was a real pax or an IT phantom.

Meanwhile, will never know about the final segment that I couldn’t get a boarding pass in the app. Just pushed back from the gate...and stop. Intercom chime. FA stops safety brief mid sentence. More chimes. FAs pack up demo kit and congregate at the front. Nothing in the app or in EF. Flight deck door opens. Still nothing.

This goes on for at least ten minutes before the pilots announce there was a ground stop of 1.5hours, can stay on board or deplane during that time.

More lack of communication when the jet bridge is reconnected and to the GAs to open the gate door. Decide to offload because I couldn’t get a signal onboard. Thankfully the senior GA was willing to rebook me onto a UA nonstop. Junior GA was asking him ‘don’t they have to pay for it themselves if it’s weather?’. ‘Not in this case, because he’s going to misconnect and he’s a Gold’. That right there was the best elite recognition AS could give. Far beyond chocolate bars, call scripts, or swag.

That does it for AS flying for the year. Traded the Q for the Devil’s Chariot for my last flight this year.
DrAlex likes this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Dec 4, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
No one ever showed up for aisle window, so now I’m really wondering if it was a real pax or an IT phantom.

Meanwhile, will never know about the final segment that I couldn’t get a boarding pass in the app. Just pushed back from the gate...and stop. Intercom chime. FA stops safety brief mid sentence. More chimes. FAs pack up demo kit and congregate at the front. Nothing in the app or in EF. Flight deck door opens. Still nothing.

This goes on for at least ten minutes before the pilots announce there was a ground stop of 1.5hours, can stay on board or deplane during that time.

More lack of communication when the jet bridge is reconnected and to the GAs to open the gate door. Decide to offload because I couldn’t get a signal onboard. Thankfully the senior GA was willing to rebook me onto a UA nonstop. Junior GA was asking him ‘don’t they have to pay for it themselves if it’s weather?’. ‘Not in this case, because he’s going to misconnect and he’s a Gold’. That right there was the best elite recognition AS could give. Far beyond chocolate bars, call scripts, or swag.

That does it for AS flying for the year. Traded the Q for the Devil’s Chariot for my last flight this year.
heck of a wrapup ... but what the heck is this "aisle window" that you've now mentioned twice?
(the other was post #6590 upthread)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
heck of a wrapup ... but what the heck is this "aisle window" that you've now mentioned twice?
(the other was post #6590 upthread)
I uh blame sucking on canned air overnight. Exit row window.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:23 am

No one ever showed up for exit row window, so now I’m really wondering if it was a real pax or an IT phantom.

I have 4 flights all short ones then it's a year for me as well. Enjoy the Holidays !
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
3 more segments for me this year. Next R/T will push me over the 50k mark and renew my Gold.

Last flight of the year is a bonus I wasn't certain would happen - headed to LAX on the 30th for the Rose Bowl!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
3 more segments for me this year. Next R/T will push me over the 50k mark and renew my Gold.

Last flight of the year is a bonus I wasn't certain would happen - headed to LAX on the 30th for the Rose Bowl!
Have fun at the Rose Bowl! I used to live in Pasadena so I'd go annually, and the parade and game are always good fun. Depending on where you are staying I would recommend not buying tickets to the parade and just chilling out somewhere on the route further down Colorado, though it you do want some personal space and a guaranteed space then I suppose tickets might be ok. If you're able to I'd walk to and from the stadium since it'll be much easier to get away after the game on foot and if you do need uber/lyft/whatever it'll be more maneuverable once you get away from the stadium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.