Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the -- a place to just relax and have some fun. Stop in and see what's happening!

Print Wikipost

The Alaska Airlines Bored Room

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Minor issue that might not affect many folks, but today I asked whether I could have a pinot grigio from coach as I dislike chardonnay? FA in First was very gracious about doing so.
Yeah, they are usually good about that. I always have them open the La Marca prosecco for me from the back before diving into the 'champagne' they have up front in first. Thursday night's SEA-LAX flight the guy seated in 1C helped me finish off all 4 bottles.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if you're flying out of Dulles with Priority Pass, the Turkish Lounge is worth getting to the airport early, before they start declining folks AS-style.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if you're flying out of Dulles with Priority Pass, the Turkish Lounge is worth getting to the airport early, before they start declining folks AS-style.
your right ! It is a great lounge.^^^^^
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I encountered a newly-minted MVP the other night who said she'd recently gotten a bag of Cheez-Its as her snack on SMF-PDX. Is this a new expansion beyond the Biscoffs and pretzels?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
I encountered a newly-minted MVP the other night who said she'd recently gotten a bag of Cheez-Its as her snack on SMF-PDX. Is this a new expansion beyond the Biscoffs and pretzels?
depends Horizon yes Frankly their better than the Biscoff's which are all sugar.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
please pray for my survival

Currently stuck on the de-icing pad on AS316 SEA-SFO. There is a pilot at 17A and a pilot at 17F both expressing grave concern that the plane is being deiced incorrectly (didn't spray the plane from the left first, didn't cover enough of the wing with type 1, using the wrong hose nozzle ...)

Even though they relayed it up the flight deck .... if the de-icing people can't even de-ice the wings properly ....... doesn't inspire confidence they can deice the rest of the plane properly ....
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
I had a lengthy delay ex-OGG on Friday due to all the SEA flights leaving hours late due to de-icing. One of the pilots told me that after last year's de-icing fiascos, ALK decided to outsource de-icing this year, so there is a new vendor doing it at SEA. It sounds like they are not at all trained and ready.

Originally Posted by maradori
Currently stuck on the de-icing pad on AS316 SEA-SFO. There is a pilot at 17A and a pilot at 17F both expressing grave concern that the plane is being deiced incorrectly (didn't spray the plane from the left first, didn't cover enough of the wing with type 1, using the wrong hose nozzle ...)

Even though they relayed it up the flight deck .... if the de-icing people can't even de-ice the wings properly ....... doesn't inspire confidence they can deice the rest of the plane properly ....
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:15 pm

please pray for my survival

well were they AS pilots? If not maybe they were blowing !!! If they were AS I would have hit the FA call button and tell them what you heard. There is no room for error. I also agree that AS has been outsourcing and from what I have seen pretty bad. AS maybe coming off its hinges
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by edgewood49
well were they AS pilots? If not maybe they were blowing !!! If they were AS I would have hit the FA call button and tell them what you heard. There is no room for error. I also agree that AS has been outsourcing and from what I have seen pretty bad. AS maybe coming off its hinges
I would think that pilots with true grave concern (i.e., the plane isn't going to take off safely) would do something further than relay the matter to the cockpit, if the cockpit didn't do anything. They may have been concerned, but if they thought they were doomed, they'd probably just stand up at the risk of arrest in lieu of imminent death.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I would think that pilots with true grave concern (i.e., the plane isn't going to take off safely) would do something further than relay the matter to the cockpit, if the cockpit didn't do anything. They may have been concerned, but if they thought they were doomed, they'd probably just stand up at the risk of arrest in lieu of imminent death.
well IF the story was being told correctly and the pilots did nothing and I was sitting certainly I would have called them out on it. side note, ex USAF and I too watch the deicing going on. was impressed that a captain on SW caught some 'frost" on a flap and called out for de icing when the local station ok'd them for for flight Hope AS gets better into the season
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
I'm alive!!!!

Sorry for any misunderstanding in what I was typing. The pilots in 17F was more proactively attentive, and alerted 17A who concurred that the deicing was incorrect (17F said something about they should have sprayed completely with type 1 before spraying type 4)

17F went to the front of the plane to call the flight deck. When he came back to chat with 17A, he said the captain was livid that the deicing wasn't done properly -- so we were stuck as they had to do it all over again

Once on the runway, 17AF were called upon one final time to do contamination check (there was a period of time between deicing complete + ready for takeoff, but i believe we were still within the safe time)

I swear without 17F (and kinda 17A), I might not be alive
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:16 pm

I'm alive!!!!

Sorry for any misunderstanding in what I was typing. The pilots in 17F was more proactively attentive, and alerted 17A who concurred that the deicing was incorrect (17F said something about they should have sprayed completely with type 1 before spraying type 4)

17F went to the front of the plane to call the flight deck. When he came back to chat with 17A, he said the captain was livid that the deicing wasn't done properly -- so we were stuck as they had to do it all over again

Once on the runway, 17AF were called upon one final time to do contamination check (there was a period of time between deicing complete + ready for takeoff, but i believe we were still within the safe time)

I swear without 17F (and kinda 17A), I might not be alive

Works for me! As I have pointed out AS has out sourced and some of the contractors are not doing so well. You are damn lucky those pilots were on board.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...iian-bellanca/

Let the speculation begin!...
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Over the years how many times has this been bantered about? Doubtful it will "fly" too much head to head. Since the "bloke" took over I am not sure HA is what it once was.

Just saying
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel
That is an awesome piece of history there!

I'd redeem some miles to take a ride ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.