Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Soup Lovers: Read It and Weep! - The Alaska Lounge Soup Thread (Through 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Soup soup everywhere- but what type, where and when?

That is the question that is this thread...

Companion thread: What's on Tap: A Guide to the Beers of Alaska Lounges
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

I am holed up in the Maple Leaf Lounge in Calgary for a flight over to Regina and what do I see? A virtual smorgasboard of goodies. From a mini Salad Bar, to Cookies, to Coffee, to Beer, to a cooler full of Pop and two, yes TWO! Soup choices. Today it is Italian Wedding Soup and Brocoli & Cheese. Warm bread is also there for the taking.

This is a nice lounge, quite a bit little larger than both floors of the SEA Boardroom put together. They do a nice job here also.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Hot soup while traveling that would be great...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
SEA Board Room gives two choices: upstairs and downstairs selection are different soups. A guy ahead of me wasn't too thrilled at the idea of the tomato bisque upstairs, but when I mentioned there was chicken rice below he hotfooted it down there!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Oh Boy! Watch out for the patch of bisque on the stairs or the rice kernels stuck to the elevator buttons!

I did not know there was soup upstairs too. Last Saturday was the first time I've been upstairs.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Have not been to the MLL in YYC of late but if they have the same coffee machines as YYZ then I'll take the SEA Boardroom's machine any day The open bar is nice and there are more beer choices. Wine is probably comparable, certainly not better. Boardroom offers a nice product for reasonable cost.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
SEA Board Room gives two choices: upstairs and downstairs selection are different soups. A guy ahead of me wasn't too thrilled at the idea of the tomato bisque upstairs, but when I mentioned there was chicken rice below he hotfooted it down there!

I've never encountered soup at the SEA BR. I love soup. Must have been bad timing.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

I had a 8 hour layover and sampled quite a bit - I got my $25 worth!

Yes, the coffe machine is a bit cheap. I had various versions of the same bean and a Hot Chocolate. The Chocolate was a bit thin - so I creamed it up. But the machine really didn't get the workout. The bars were getting the workout. Liquor was being consumed from the time I got there - about 1300 Hours 'till 2200 Hours to the tune of the attendants having to replace a few empty bottles of liquor!

In addition, there was a fellow in there who was just enamoured with the HDTV on the wall, he proceeded to watch Wrestling Mania at about 110dB! I was in the business center and it was loud in there. Within 30 seconds there was a horde who was looking for this guy and the remote!

If I could have one wish - I'd transplant the Maple Leaf's 'Business Centre' to the Boardroom! This was really worth it - aside from a moment of Wrestle Mania, I got a ton of work done in a very nice environment - no cell phone yellers, no sofa crashers, and no split logs to use as tables!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Nobbi

I've never encountered soup at the SEA BR. I love soup. Must have been bad timing.
It's only at lunchtime. I was disappointed myself when I was told that, having been expecting some during an evening visit

ANC only had one soup the day I was there: cream of asparagus.
PDX doesn't seem to offer soup.

The quality is very good. One particularly hungry afternoon I had three cups! (2 tomato bisque and 1 chicken rice)
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
<<< SNIP>>> One particularly hungry afternoon I had three cups! (2 tomato bisque and 1 chicken rice)
Were you on the steps and in the elevator?

(Ref: Post No. 4)
Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:47 am

Some Board Rooms don't offer soup during lunch time? (I was under the impression that all of them did.) If so, I assume it's no soup at LAX, since it's so small. Anyone know? Thanks.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I'm enjoying the black bean w/ chorizo right now in SEA
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
The chicken with rice was very good but the minestrone was even better on Thursday.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
The chicken with rice was very good but the minestrone was even better on Thursday.

Can't wait to see what they have on Monday.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BOB W

Can't wait to see what they have on Monday.

So what day in the clam chowder?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by erikatcuse
So what day in the clam chowder?
That is usually a Friday kind of soup....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.