FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Soup Lovers: Read It and Weep! - The Alaska Lounge Soup Thread (Through 2021) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/739979-soup-lovers-read-weep-alaska-lounge-soup-thread-through-2021-a.html)

Valveman Sep 25, 2007 6:29 pm

Soup Lovers: Read It and Weep! - The Alaska Lounge Soup Thread (Through 2021)

I am holed up in the Maple Leaf Lounge in Calgary for a flight over to Regina and what do I see? A virtual smorgasboard of goodies. From a mini Salad Bar, to Cookies, to Coffee, to Beer, to a cooler full of Pop and two, yes TWO! Soup choices. Today it is Italian Wedding Soup and Brocoli & Cheese. Warm bread is also there for the taking.

This is a nice lounge, quite a bit little larger than both floors of the SEA Boardroom put together. They do a nice job here also.

Snow n Sail Sep 25, 2007 6:57 pm

Hot soup while traveling that would be great...

Points Scrounger Sep 25, 2007 7:12 pm

SEA Board Room gives two choices: upstairs and downstairs selection are different soups. A guy ahead of me wasn't too thrilled at the idea of the tomato bisque upstairs, but when I mentioned there was chicken rice below he hotfooted it down there!

Valveman Sep 25, 2007 7:48 pm

Oh Boy! Watch out for the patch of bisque on the stairs or the rice kernels stuck to the elevator buttons! :D

I did not know there was soup upstairs too. Last Saturday was the first time I've been upstairs.

Altaflyer Sep 26, 2007 10:30 pm

Have not been to the MLL in YYC of late but if they have the same coffee machines as YYZ then I'll take the SEA Boardroom's machine any day :) The open bar is nice and there are more beer choices. Wine is probably comparable, certainly not better. Boardroom offers a nice product for reasonable cost.

Nobbi Sep 27, 2007 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 8463085)
SEA Board Room gives two choices: upstairs and downstairs selection are different soups. A guy ahead of me wasn't too thrilled at the idea of the tomato bisque upstairs, but when I mentioned there was chicken rice below he hotfooted it down there!

:(:td:

I've never encountered soup at the SEA BR. I love soup. Must have been bad timing.

Valveman Sep 27, 2007 10:19 pm

I had a 8 hour layover and sampled quite a bit - I got my $25 worth!

Yes, the coffe machine is a bit cheap. I had various versions of the same bean and a Hot Chocolate. The Chocolate was a bit thin - so I creamed it up. But the machine really didn't get the workout. The bars were getting the workout. Liquor was being consumed from the time I got there - about 1300 Hours 'till 2200 Hours to the tune of the attendants having to replace a few empty bottles of liquor!

In addition, there was a fellow in there who was just enamoured with the HDTV on the wall, he proceeded to watch Wrestling Mania at about 110dB! I was in the business center and it was loud in there. Within 30 seconds there was a horde who was looking for this guy and the remote! :mad:

If I could have one wish - I'd transplant the Maple Leaf's 'Business Centre' to the Boardroom! This was really worth it - aside from a moment of Wrestle Mania, I got a ton of work done in a very nice environment - no cell phone yellers, no sofa crashers, and no split logs to use as tables!

Points Scrounger Sep 27, 2007 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nobbi (Post 8476591)
:(:td:

I've never encountered soup at the SEA BR. I love soup. Must have been bad timing.

It's only at lunchtime. I was disappointed myself when I was told that, having been expecting some during an evening visit :(

ANC only had one soup the day I was there: cream of asparagus.
PDX doesn't seem to offer soup. :( :(

The quality is very good. One particularly hungry afternoon I had three cups! (2 tomato bisque and 1 chicken rice)

Valveman Sep 27, 2007 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 8476783)
<<< SNIP>>> One particularly hungry afternoon I had three cups! (2 tomato bisque and 1 chicken rice)

Were you on the steps and in the elevator? :D

(Ref: Post No. 4)

Likemiles Sep 28, 2007 4:47 am

Some Board Rooms don't offer soup during lunch time? (I was under the impression that all of them did.) If so, I assume it's no soup at LAX, since it's so small. Anyone know? Thanks.

sea_jeff Sep 28, 2007 1:30 pm

I'm enjoying the black bean w/ chorizo right now in SEA :)

BOB W Sep 29, 2007 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by sea_jeff (Post 8479655)

The chicken with rice was very good but the minestrone was even better on Thursday. :p

BOB W Sep 29, 2007 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by sea_jeff (Post 8479655)

The chicken with rice was very good but the minestrone was even better on Thursday. :p

Can't wait to see what they have on Monday.

Snow n Sail Sep 30, 2007 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 8483898)

Can't wait to see what they have on Monday.

So what day in the clam chowder?

Emeraldcity Sep 30, 2007 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by erikatcuse (Post 8486512)
So what day in the clam chowder?

That is usually a Friday kind of soup.... ;)