FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   EQM's, COS bonus, and upgrading. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/684014-eqms-cos-bonus-upgrading.html)

Seattler Apr 18, 2007 3:29 pm

EQM's, COS bonus, and upgrading.

I'm new to FT, and have a couple of questions about the AS mileage program.

1. I'm MVP Gold, so I get put on the waitlist for upgrades sometimes, but often don't get make it to F. I also have my 4 yearly OW paper upgrades in hand still, which I believe I can use to confirm upgrade in advance. How can I tell in advance if my waitlist upgrade has a prayer of getting me into F, so I know whether to spend my paper upgrade or take a chance on upgrading off waitlist?
2. Do COS bonus miles count towards EQ?

Thanks! Sorry this is so long, I'm still figuring out the lingo!

BLI-Flyer Apr 18, 2007 5:45 pm

1) You can't really tell. If it's critical that you get into F (for me, that's a SEA-BOS, SEA-EWR, SEA-DCA, or SEA-MCO flight), use the paper upgrade cert IF you can get it confirmed, otherwise get on the waiting list knowing that you're probably not going to be upgraded.

2) Yes, I'm pretty sure COS miles count as EQM.

kmcg Apr 18, 2007 7:12 pm

You can use seatcounter.com to check the fluctuating availability of U seats on a particular flight. I think it's pretty accurate. But it's really more useful if you are trying to use the certificates - I doubt it would realistically predict availability at the 72 hour mark.

Seattler Apr 18, 2007 8:20 pm

THX!..one last question... (well, probably not the last)

Do the 500 minimum miles for a short leg (SEA to PDX) also count as 500 EQM, or do they does AS use actual miles for EQM in this case?

THX

Eastbay1K Apr 18, 2007 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Seattler (Post 7604846)
Do the 500 minimum miles for a short leg (SEA to PDX) also count as 500 EQM, or do they does AS use actual miles for EQM in this case?

THX

Yes, they count. But your MVPG mileage statement might look like Actual 200 Bonus 800, but it will tally in the Q miles as 500 actual.

gba Apr 18, 2007 9:47 pm

Note that you do NOT get any COS bonus miles for upgraded (automatic, with cert, or with miles) first class flights.

Seattler Apr 19, 2007 12:26 am

Thanks Eastbay and gba. I was hoping that the upgraded COS miles would count towards EQM, but oh well. I need to go to DCA for a wedding in the fall, so I think I'm going to fly SEA-PDX-BOS (for the 2x special on PDX-BOS route), and catch a $98 all-in AA flight from BOS to DCA, which I'll also post to AS. I might as well use my F upgrades on the transcon flight, AS doesn't fly too many routes longer than PDX-BOS anyway.

Sydneyjb Apr 22, 2007 4:25 am

CO Miles Do Not Count !

Please note : CO miles do not count towards EQM , nor do you get your double miles for being Gold !!! I leaned this the hard way ! Somthing to do with AA being mad at Alaska for having CO also in it's mileage program.

COpltASgldPHX Apr 22, 2007 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Sydneyjb (Post 7620541)
Please note : CO miles do not count towards EQM , nor do you get your double miles for being Gold !!! I leaned this the hard way ! Somthing to do with AA being mad at Alaska for having CO also in it's mileage program.

Why would AA object to CO and not NW? They are both SkyTeam members and yet you get EQMs on NW. What's more is if you fly AS you get full EQMs on CO plus elite bonus regardless of fare plus 50% for paid F. There is some other reason but I'm not sure what it is. I have never been able to get a definitive answer out of anyone at AS.

BLI-Flyer Apr 22, 2007 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Sydneyjb (Post 7620541)

I'm not sure what "AA being mad at Alaska" has to do with AS elites not getting EQM on CO flights, but whatever. It is true that AS elites do not get EQM or EQ segments on CO, and no elite bonus miles, just straight miles. As a result, I actively avoid flying on CO.

BLI-Flyer Apr 22, 2007 7:50 am

Never mind, misunderstood post.

Sydneyjb Apr 23, 2007 6:27 am

Question

Maybee , Missydarling can enlighten us on this subject !