Wiki Posts
Search

Best Service EVER!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM/CRC, AA GLD/AC, SPG Gold
Best Service EVER!

I just thought the FF's around here would like to know....Several months ago I flew from GST to ANC on AS. My Dad and I and two friends had frantically boarded first class after rushing in from fishing Glacier Bay. We had about three pounds of fresh fileted halibut with us in a poly sac on ice which the hotel at which we were staying had refused to cook for us for lunch (claiming it was a federal facility, national park,and FDA wouldn't allow it). Anyway, I think we were hoping we could cook it the moment we got to ANC. We were sitting together and the FA asked,"what's that in the bag?" We told her and she immediately took the fish from us, prepared it, and cooked it in the galley kitchen....best meal I have ever had on an airplane. Unreal.

Last edited by Bonzz; Mar 28, 2007 at 12:01 pm Reason: t.o.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I thought ice was forbidden through security as a carryon (without a medical need)?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:22 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I thought ice was forbidden through security as a carryon (without a medical need)?
Ice is no problem (frozen water). Dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide) is a real no-no.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:43 pm

Hmmm... surprised they were able to actually cook fish in the limited galley... I can also think of numerous other issues with doing this, let alone the limited flight time to make this happen. I'm guessing the OP meant GST-(JNU?)-ANC.

Last edited by SPIT; Mar 26, 2007 at 6:51 pm
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally Posted by SPIT
surprised they were able to actually cook fish in the limited galley
There's an oven, and trays, and the FA's probably had access to some butter and some salt/pepper...I've seen some AS F/A's really go the extra mile.

In fact on a flight to ADK yesterday, the FA went out of her way to collect up some food items that were vegetarian for a passenger who didn't want the complimentary hot turkey sandwich. They included items from their own crew meals as well as the meal for the onboard mechanic. ANC-ADK always brings its own mechanic along, as ADK really is out in the middle of nowhere.

I'm not saying it's worthy of an Olympic medal, but the nice things our FA's do really add up... ^

Last edited by eastwest; Mar 26, 2007 at 9:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by bonzz
I just thought the FF's around here would like to know....Several months ago I flew from GUS to ANC on AS. My Dad and I and two friends had frantically boarded first class after rushing in from fishing Glacier Bay. We had about three pounds of fresh fileted halibut with us in a poly sac on ice which the hotel at which we were staying had refused to cook for us for lunch (claiming it was a federal facility, national park,and FDA wouldn't allow it). Anyway, I think we were hoping we could cook it the moment we got to ANC. We were sitting together and the FA asked,"what's that in the bag?" We told her and she immediately took the fish from us, prepared it, and cooked it in the galley kitchen....best meal I have ever had on an airplane. Unreal.
awesome story ^

Originally Posted by eastwest
ANC-ADK always brings its own mechanic along, as ADK really is out in the middle of nowhere.
They carry one on each flight? Would it not be cheaper to fly one in in case something does break? neat though
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajthegreat
They carry one on each flight? Would it not be cheaper to fly one in in case something does break? neat though
Perhaps they don't ever want two planes stuck in ADK, given the weather problems there? If one plane goes mechanical in ADK, it's possible that the next plane carrying the mechanic could get stuck there for days. Plus, aren't these the 734 combi's? Those probably make a fortune for AS on the Alaska routes . . .
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:30 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
That is a cool story. Nice!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:37 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Many years ago I knew a TWA "hostess" who used to tell stories about how she would always take her own electric skillet on trips, as she worked first class. She prided herself on extraordinary service and tried to cook special items for her pax. I thought that kind of activity was extinct...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Electric skillets are a handy tool. In the 90's, AA used them for freshly cooked eggs-to-order in international F.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:37 pm

Mmmm.... aero-skillet.

http://www.aerolux.co.uk/SK15-100.htm
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
This makes me think less of those FA's on my cross country trips in F that say to me: "and ya betta eat it, 'cause ya ain't gettin' anything betta!" Sounds almost unlike a U.S. airline. You sure it wasn't on your leg to Peru, Indiana military airport (GUS).
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
The smell of fish cooking

Might really throw some passengers...like my kids who hate it when I cook fish for a loop.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM/CRC, AA GLD/AC, SPG Gold
Sorry I think fixed the airport codes it was GST-JNU-ANC. I actually took pics of the meal and FA and everything...I'll post them later if I can figure out how to do it.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:18 am

Halibut

How big was your Halibut you caught ? Last year I landed a 350 Pounder .

GST is the best place in Alaska overall for Halibut fishing when you factor in , weather, seas, distance to fish and cost . It's great !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.