Menzies theft ring busted...

Old Jan 2, 07, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Menzies theft ring busted...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...t_Luggage.html

More fine Menzies employees hard at work. I sure am glad AS has outsourced their ground handling to these guys. *grumble*
Old Jan 2, 07, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by terrier View Post
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...t_Luggage.html

More fine Menzies employees hard at work. I sure am glad AS has outsourced their ground handling to these guys. *grumble*
This was in Houston.

Besides AS, Menzies works with fine companies like BA and SQ. In the end, it's the employees that are hired, not the employer, that is the problem.
Old Jan 2, 07, 9:14 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Was not aware Menzies was a British Company

I guess it makes it that much harder to recover any losses/damages through legal action!
Old Jan 2, 07, 10:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I have been harping on this for a while and on here a few months ago. I believe stuff is being taken at Sea-Tac as well out of unlocked suit cases and some PAX never realize it - mostly by Delta staff. I sure wish they would monitor some of these pathetic thugs. I am sure it is only a few but still. Because most PAX no longer lock their bags anymore they are easy pry. Make sure you itemize even the smallest item because the missing item will probably be something you later foget about.
Old Jan 2, 07, 10:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
It was Houston, not Seattle, and even though it was Menzies, they are just a metaphor for a process that leads to this kind of stuff. It starts with taking a relatively low pay, semi skilled job like baggage handling, then cutting costs even further, by using a contract provider. For the contracter to make a buck, he has to pay the worker even less, which sets up the spread that becomes the profit margin. In a high wage environment like Seattle, it must be some job, to find decent staff to perform the bag handling. That kind of circumstance does not lead to being able to optimallly screen employee hires. The big question in Houston is, "how'd they get that stuff out of the airport area"? Could it be that the vaunted TSA was sleeping?
Old Jan 2, 07, 11:31 pm

Programs: CO, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by deelmakur View Post
The big question in Houston is, "how'd they get that stuff out of the airport area"? Could it be that the vaunted TSA was sleeping?
The TSA does not monitor what leaves secured areas. It simply is watching to make sure that what makes it on a plane is safe.
Old Jan 3, 07, 9:31 am
Original Poster

It was Houston, not Seattle, and even though it was Menzies, they are just a metaphor for a process that leads to this kind of stuff.
Yes, exactly. I no longer check bags for any reason whatsoever these days. At least pre-TSA you could lock your bags (not that it matters when the thief is taking the whole thing). If I can't take it in my carryon, it doesn't fly with me.

I suppose it's good for Alaska that the same considerations apply to every other airline. Can't trust anyone these days.
Old Jan 3, 07, 9:54 am

Yea whilst the TSA is so freakin worried about keeping our bags screened and unlocked so crap like this can happen.....oooppps they forgot about all the millions of pounds of cargo and mail they put in the belly of the plane that ALL goes unscreened and unchecked!!!!!!!!! and is usually wrapped up locked nice and tight - Yea TSA THAT'S REALLY SMART GIVE ME A BREAK
Old Jan 3, 07, 11:38 am

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
keep in mind, however, that any lock you had would have done no good in houston as the baggage handlers simply took the suitcases from the airport. someone at CO must have been asleep not to see this many bags disappear. i imagine they werent all the same day - but still - that is a lot of luggage to simply go missing...
Old Jan 3, 07, 10:20 pm

I thought you COULD still lock bags - you just need a TSA-approved lock (which they can open). Someone jump in if I am wrong.
Old Jan 4, 07, 12:36 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
I never thought about TSA only checking on the front end, but surely somebody must be watching the tarmac. A fully loaded piece of luggage isn't exactly a ham sandwich. How can they walk out with it? That's pretty scary.
Old Jan 4, 07, 1:19 am

Programs: AS G75K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Yeah there are TSA-approved locks, but don't count on those TSA screeners to actually find the universal keys to open them and re-lock them. I have friends who used those locks, but after their luggage was opened for screening, the locks were gone. Those lazy TSA screeners must have just cut the TSA-approved locks instead of taking the time to find the universal keys.

It's still a good idea to use those locks to make those thieves and those TSA screeners work harder to get to what they want.

BW
Old Jan 4, 07, 4:15 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I use cable ties on my bags. You know when they have been cut, but otherwise, they are safer than a lock that gets busted.
Old Jan 4, 07, 10:55 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
A fully loaded piece of luggage isn't exactly a ham sandwich. How can they walk out with it? That's pretty scary.
If I saw someone toting out bags...I'd challenge them. I know my coworkers and the overwhelming majority of them are fantastic people, but that doesn't excuse my obligation in following up on anything that doesn't seem right.

Maybe that's what happens when you have have employees vested in the company versus contract workers who are abused and churned through like cream into butter... <shrugs shoulders>

Last edited by eastwest; Jan 4, 07 at 10:56 am Reason: typo...not content
Old Feb 13, 07, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I told everyone on this board this was going on at the airport and now look. I was told it was Delta but looks like it is also happening with Alaska Airlines:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...andlers13.html
SEATAC -- Two young baggage handlers who are accused of stealing everything from cigarettes to laptops to credit cards were arrested last week in two separate incidents that have airport officials looking into whether those thefts were just the tip of an iceberg....Both suspects work for Menzies Aviation, which handles ground services for Alaska Airlines, Parker said....Parker asked that people who believe they have had items stolen at the airport in Seattle and who have not yet reported the theft to police to call the airport

Last edited by westcoastman; Feb 13, 07 at 12:32 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: