use of bathrooms in F cabin by C pax

Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
use of bathrooms in F cabin by C pax

Quick question as to what other flyers' experience has been on AS in the F cabin. On a recent flight from SJC - SEA (maybe 90 min. flying time), coach pax came forward through the First cabin at least a dozen times (including twice with a screaming baby) to use the bathroom in First.

This was after the standard announcement about using bathrooms in your own cabin.

Now I don't want to seem cranky here, but on many other airlines I've actually seen FAs chase down pax who try to go into the forward cabin for the toilet.

Is this normal on AS or were the FAs on this flight just particularly laid back? I'm curious.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
Is this normal on AS or were the FAs on this flight just particularly laid back? I'm curious.
Regrettably normal - and transcons are worse. I'm sympathetic to C pax to a point (as I usually am one), but never ever have I breached the curtain to use an F lav, even when seated in row 6.

I agree that AS is way too lax about this. My last F flight had a constant parade up and down the aisle - I even witnessed a mom coaching her kids to "ignore what the lady said and just go through the curtains."
Old Nov 9, 2006, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by terrier
Regrettably normal - and transcons are worse. I'm sympathetic to C pax to a point (as I usually am one), but never ever have I breached the curtain to use an F lav, even when seated in row 6.

I agree that AS is way too lax about this. My last F flight had a constant parade up and down the aisle - I even witnessed a mom coaching her kids to "ignore what the lady said and just go through the curtains."
I must make a comment here even though I am completely in agreement that the two cabins have their own lavs and should be used as such.

With the new meal service on our recent MIA-SEA flight (6 hours +), there was a lengthy period of time where the carts were in the aisle and it would've been impossible to transit the length of the plane to the rear lavs. We were in row 6 and at one point the folks on the other side of our row simply couldn't wait any longer and went up front. They even asked the FA if it could be done since it appeared they'd not be able to get to the back for quite some time and the FA waved them up there. Finally, after two passes through the cabin with the "breakfast" for sale and then the "lunch" for sale (which occurred within a very short time of each other, which I thought bizarre, but suppose that's best left for another thread), the digiplayer cart, two drink cart passes, it finally was time for folks to head back there. As someone who consumes a great deal of liquids to avoid dehydration, swelling of ankles, you name it, sometimes you've just gotta go! I do however see individuals who I think just don't want to walk clear to the back and that's another story, but if there is just no way to get back there, I am completely sympathetic when I am sitting up front and someone comes up there.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 5:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by inthchips
I must make a comment here even though I am completely in agreement that the two cabins have their own lavs and should be used as such.

With the new meal service on our recent MIA-SEA flight (6 hours +), there was a lengthy period of time where the carts were in the aisle and it would've been impossible to transit the length of the plane to the rear lavs. We were in row 6 and at one point the folks on the other side of our row simply couldn't wait any longer and went up front. They even asked the FA if it could be done since it appeared they'd not be able to get to the back for quite some time and the FA waved them up there. Finally, after two passes through the cabin with the "breakfast" for sale and then the "lunch" for sale (which occurred within a very short time of each other, which I thought bizarre, but suppose that's best left for another thread), the digiplayer cart, two drink cart passes, it finally was time for folks to head back there. As someone who consumes a great deal of liquids to avoid dehydration, swelling of ankles, you name it, sometimes you've just gotta go! I do however see individuals who I think just don't want to walk clear to the back and that's another story, but if there is just no way to get back there, I am completely sympathetic when I am sitting up front and someone comes up there.
I agree if there is a cart in the way and it'll be awhile I think that it should be ok to head up front if permission is granted, but if there is no cart in the way then one should use the bathrooms in the back of the plane. Really folks quit being lazy and walk to the back, it really isn't that far of a walk.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I think this issue would be curtailed some if the FA's would make consistent use of the curtain separating FC from the rest of the plane.

However, I am sympathetic to somebody who really needs to go when the carts are in the aisle.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott - Platinum Lifetime, UA- MM, AS- MVPG75
I was on DCA-SEA dinner flight the other day. The F FA didn't "close the curtain" until all carts where out of the way. I was in 6C (sure hoped for UG - 30 people on UG list). Even after the curtain was pulled, the FA in back saw me at the end of a very long line in the back of plane. She said - come up fron t with me, there is no one using that one. With a smile I said you go first so the F FA doesn't get upset with me. That is what happened and I avoided a very long wait. But having been in F more than coach, I understand the issue. Looks like all the aircraft need a lav between C and F.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: no elite status, but i get around
Originally Posted by Kennewick Guy
Looks like all the aircraft need a lav between C and F.
Just when I thought I was going to be the first person to comment on a mid-cabin lav, Kennewick Guy steals my thunder.
On 2-hour or less flights, lav use is obviously not as heavy as on long haul routes. I sense a bit of Titanic arrogance in this thread as if Y folks should be locked in their cabin while F folks sip bubbly and laugh at the vacant F lav. True, some travelers are just dumb and lazy, but when the need arises and there is a line at the back of the bus, you head forward. The not-so-uncommon alternative is to use your barf bag or empty cup. Yes, it happens.
AS definitely does not police it well, but it also isn’t a hard rule. Similar to keeping your seat belt fastened while seated, even when the light is off. It’s an AS policy, but not enforced.
Maybe there could be a scanner similar to that at the boarding podium which grants the F lav door to unlock when you scan your boarding pass.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by airplanegeek
I sense a bit of Titanic arrogance in this thread as if Y folks should be locked in their cabin while F folks sip bubbly and laugh at the vacant F lav. True, some travelers are just dumb and lazy, but when the need arises and there is a line at the back of the bus, you head forward.
Peace and quiet (and no lines for the lav) are not incidental - they are a great part of why people (including myself on occasion) pay for F. Carts blocking the aisle? That's one thing. "I don't want to wait in line"? I'm not terribly sympathetic unless you seriously have a debilitating medical condition that prevents you waiting your turn in the class of service you've paid for.

Not elitist - I flew 10 Y segments for every J or F segment I flew this year. When I'm in Y, I don't use F lavs (or F overhead bins - grrr) out of consideration for those who have paid for F. Why? Because I believe in the golden rule, and I don't like being disturbed during those times when I have paid for F.

So, to keep this AS related, I do wish AS would do 3 things consistently:
1. use planes with mid-cabin lavs for flights over 2.5 hours.
2. make explicit announcements around the cabin service to encourage people to use the lavs when the aisles are clear.
3. gently but firmly discourage use of the F lavs by Y pax.

I'd also point out (as if anyone had forgotten) that security regs prohibit lines at the F lav.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I flew 10 Y segments for every J or F segment I flew this year. When I'm in Y, I don't use F lavs (or F overhead bins - grrr) out of consideration for those who have paid for F.
Agreed....I don't ever use F lavs when I'm in coach, either. My theory is that those who do use 'em (non "emergency", of course) are either oblivious to the request that they not, or lack the shame gene that others possess. Given the clear announcements at the start of most flights I think it's the latter.

BUT...if you think about it, we've all got lack of shame in doing some things in public that others may not dare. Perhaps a question might be: what might make non-F pax use of that lav shameful enough to stop or avoid?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:05 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Silver
On my last trip SEA:LAX, the FC FA must have been a reincarnated drill instructor. She was very sharp with two economy class passengers who tried to breach the curtain.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
For one who is almost always in F on both AS and UA - here's my perspective. GET OVER IT. If you've got to go, you've got to go. Now, I'm just as annoyed by the constant trek (as I always sit on the aisle) as anyone, but this is a silly rule. I even got whacked by some flight attendant on UAL for going from C to Y on an international flight (not to use the lavs, but to visit with my kids who were in coach!).
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
This topic came up about three years ago. Here's a LINK.

Needless to say, my position is definitely in the minority but it sure was fun to stir things up!
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:55 am
Suspended

So, to keep this AS related, I do wish AS would do 3 things consistently:
1. use planes with mid-cabin lavs for flights over 2.5 hours.
2. make explicit announcements around the cabin service to encourage people to use the lavs when the aisles are clear.
3. gently but firmly discourage use of the F lavs by Y pax.

I'd also point out (as if anyone had forgotten) that security regs prohibit lines at the F lav.
Unfortunately, the only aircraft with mid-cabin lavs are some of the -900s, which are not capable of flying all flights over 2.5 hours.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sxf24
Unfortunately, the only aircraft with mid-cabin lavs are some of the -900s, which are not capable of flying all flights over 2.5 hours.
And for this, I blame the airline, which could have had mid-cabin lavs on all the -800s and -900s, but instead, decided to go cheap and not do it. I forgot the exact rationale why some of the -900s have 3 in the rear, but it had to do with $, and has created a situation where for the next 20-some years of the new deliveries, that a totally unnecessary situation will only get worse - ESPECIALLY in an age where they want to keep people away from the cockpit door
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And for this, I blame the airline, which could have had mid-cabin lavs on all the -800s and -900s, but instead, decided to go cheap and not do it.
"Cheap" cuts both ways. By removing the forward Economy lavatory and putting it in back, AS can put in more seats which creates more supply and helps create cheaper fares to fill those extra seats.

Hopefully, the 737RS and A320RS programs will have wider cabins to allow wider aisles so passengers can "slip by" the carts and access the rear lavatories.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.