First Class improvements

Old Nov 1, 2006, 5:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I believe this weekend you'll begin seeing some of the improvements but don't hold me to that.
Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open and taste buds ready just in case!
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:19 am

Programs: UA1K MM, AA EXP, AS GOLD 75K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Avis PC, National ExEl
waiting to see
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by pdx42
I'd be a lot more comfortable [won't fly them now] if they put some money in to improved mechanical maintenance and investment in new aircraft.
Over 40% of the AS fleet consists of 737-700/800/900 aircraft, which are all less than 7 years old. They are taking delivery of 12 brand new 737-800s this year alone. But I have noticed that there seem to be more maintenance delays since AS outsourced its heavy maintenance, and I'm not exactly reassured by this either.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 5:26 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Sea-cun-sea F??

Does anybody have any intelligence on the SEA-CUN-SEA nonstops? I am on them next week and Alaskaair.com says no meal served in F, but they have BOB in coach. I find it hard to believe they only offer a cheese burger for a 6h 20m flight .

Thanks,
DUT
Old Nov 1, 2006, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Is AS F better that CO F? Have cahnce to go EWR-ANC for more miles direct on CO or go EWR-ORD (CO Coach) and ORD-ANC (AS F) for less miles. Thanks?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:10 am
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Is AS F better that CO F? Have cahnce to go EWR-ANC for more miles direct on CO or go EWR-ORD (CO Coach) and ORD-ANC (AS F) for less miles. Thanks?
No, the general consensus is that CO F is better. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590970 for a recent discussion. How many miles are involved?
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:02 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by gba
No, the general consensus is that CO F is better. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590970 for a recent discussion. How many miles are involved?
Thanks for the thread. I'd be using EZ Pass of 45M miles for CO direct versus 22.5M for Standard with EWR -ORD-ANC routing,
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Thanks for the thread. I'd be using EZ Pass of 45M miles for CO direct versus 22.5M for Standard with EWR -ORD-ANC routing,

CO F is a great product - but not sure it is worth an extra 22.5K miles. personally i would use those miles for another trip - AS F between ORD and ANC is a great trip - in terms of service, one of the last flights AS flights with true trans-con service. and you can't beat the crews!
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:46 am

I'm glad to hear about improvements to the transcons as the present meal selections have been getting a bit long in the tooth.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I believe this weekend you'll begin seeing some of the improvements but don't hold me to that.
Saturday morning Flight 196 had a "Strata" in F. A square, about 1.5" high by 3" square serving that was mostly potatoes with sausage & egg mixed in, topped with cheese & then baked. A couple of pieces of fruit as a garnish. It was good, but not the old style F offering. No improvement yet as far as I'm concerned.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:12 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by BOB W
Saturday morning Flight 196 had a "Strata" in F. A square, about 1.5" high by 3" square serving that was mostly potatoes with sausage & egg mixed in, topped with cheese & then baked. A couple of pieces of fruit as a garnish. It was good, but not the old style F offering. No improvement yet as far as I'm concerned.
TH's lunch SEA-ORD consisted of a one plate special (no choice) - one sandwich, a salad on the same plate and an andes mint. Is this an improvement?

Good thing she stopped at the new vino store and got a salumi meat sampler and had a mocha from dilettante.

lala
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
That is exactly what I received on UA916 SEA-IAD on Friday, so perhaps AS is continuing to match UA's service levels (as ANC-SEA would be a mid-con for UA and probably offers the same).

Of course, breakfast on any airline bites, IMO. I'm hoping UA917 IAD-SEA tonight in Business Class is the usual excellence in terms of meals.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Actually, breakfast is the meal that's changed the least in the last 6 or 7 years. This strata isn't any different than what we've been serving. The improvements that you should begin seeing are primarily improvements to the evening meal. This would include an ice cream sundae on westbound flights with chocolate or caramel and whipped cream. Eastbound flights should have profiteroles with chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Additionally, lunch/dinner transcon flights will have heartier breads rather than those small rolls we've been serving and the meal quality should see some improvement. Breakfast is a hard meal to "gussy up". It's pretty much just eggs - any way you look at it. Pancakes are an option, but not everyone enjoys pancakes and they don't always reheat so well.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lalala
TH's lunch SEA-ORD consisted of a one plate special (no choice) - one sandwich, a salad on the same plate and an andes mint. Is this an improvement?

Good thing she stopped at the new vino store and got a salumi meat sampler and had a mocha from dilettante.

lala
I think that this is an improvement because you get a pretty hearty sandwich with a decent sized salad. It's more food and you get a little of each of the salad and the sandwich. True, there is no choice, but you're getting both now.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Actually, breakfast is the meal that's changed the least in the last 6 or 7 years. This strata isn't any different than what we've been serving. The improvements that you should begin seeing are primarily improvements to the evening meal. This would include an ice cream sundae on westbound flights with chocolate or caramel and whipped cream. Eastbound flights should have profiteroles with chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Additionally, lunch/dinner transcon flights will have heartier breads rather than those small rolls we've been serving and the meal quality should see some improvement. Breakfast is a hard meal to "gussy up". It's pretty much just eggs - any way you look at it. Pancakes are an option, but not everyone enjoys pancakes and they don't always reheat so well.
Thanks for the good news, AS Flyer! I upgraded on AA from ORD to SEA Friday night and they served the sundae for dessert. I enjoyed it and found myself wishing that AS would do the same, and for once I got my wish!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.