Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

meals in Y are to be purchased on mid-range flights in the near future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat

on alaskaair.com tonight looking at flights between ORD-ANC in august and noticed something new. when you roll the mouse over the number of stops that gives you flight details, meals in Y show FOOD AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE in coach on mid-range flights (ORD-SEA and SEA-ANC). upon further investigation, it also shows FOOD AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE in coach on the ORD-ANC non-stop as well.

however, i noticed SEA-EWR/DCA/MCO dont have this notation, but show that a snack is being served in Y.

is this a change i missed the memo on? seems odd that most transcon are still having complimentary good while ORD-ANC (one of the longest sectors) is selling food. what is going on?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Check the flight number. It may be a codeshare with American Airlines on their equipment which does have a food for purchase program.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:27 pm

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by OMAguy
ORD-ANC (one of the longest sectors)
Not just one of the longest, the longest!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Alaska Airlines 131 ORD-ANC does say" Meal: Snack" and yes, AS does codeshare with AA on this route....so I guess that is a possibility.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:09 am
Original Poster

nope, these are not codeshare flights. the notation is on flights operated by AS.

i looked into this a little bit more. if you look at flights in july, it shows the normal SNACK service on all of these flights. beginning on aug 1, however, AS131 (as well as SEA-ANC/ORD/DFW flights) are all showing FOOD FOR PURCHASE in coach.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

*update*

booked a ticket ANC-DFW today for august. on my itinerary was the following message

Alaska Airlines 808 Anchorage (ANC)
6:05 am Sun, Aug 06 Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)
5:15 pm Sun, Aug 06 Coach · Boeing 737-700
One stop · 70% On-Time
Meal: Available For Purchase§

§ Please note: In addition to beverage service, you have the option to purchase a meal for $5 (USD) or $5 (CAD), cash only. Please check the details section of your itinerary to determine which flights offer food for purchase. Learn more about our Northern Bites Service.

i know AS Flyer said that Northern Bites has been very successful on Mexico flights. guess it is time for AS to update the website about Northern Bites - they arent going to be available just to mexico!

Northern Bites Info
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:26 pm

I think some official info will be coming out this week. Northern Bites will be expanding, from what I've heard, to include SEA-ANC/FAI/DFW/ORD as well as ANC-LAX/ORD/SEA/PDX. I've heard that they will be featuring some pretty good, affordable options that will be rotated fairly frequently. I haven't seen anything official myself, but have heard it from a pretty good source. Of course, I'm surprised that they are including ANC in the mix right now, and not some of the transcon markets, but my impression is that, eventually, it was going to be system wide anyway.

Even if they weren't changing the service, they should consider updating that meal information on the website anyway. I have NEVER served a warm cookie prior to arrival on ANY transcon flight in either F/C or Coach. The website says that a lite snack is served prior to arrival in F/C - I haven't seen it. Back when we first started these long hauls we did serve a pretty hefty, nice snack in coach prior to arrival (a large sandwich with a cookie or something similar) and a hot snack in First Class (Spaghetti Pie with a corn relish on the side is one that I remember). We haven't served any of those things in years.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:49 pm

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060714/sff041.html?.v=35

SEATTLE, July 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alaska Airlines announced today it will begin offering its Northern Bites meals-for-purchase program on the majority of its designated mealtime flights longer than three hours. The $5 meal option for passengers in the main cabin will replace the complimentary sandwich snacks previously offered on these flights.

The airline introduced its Northern Bites meals-for-purchase program in 2005 on most flights to and from Mexico. Starting Aug. 1, Alaska will expand the program to include mealtime flights between the Lower 48 states and the Alaskan destinations of Anchorage and Fairbanks, as well as between Seattle and both Chicago and Dallas/Fort Worth. The airline will continue its complimentary snack sandwich service in the main cabin on flights serving East Coast destinations and the Mexican destinations of Guadalajara and Mexico City.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Noted on MSN also. The race to the bottom is nearly complete
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
Noted on MSN also. The race to the bottom is nearly complete

I guess I would argue that by saying that:

A) the meals that will be offered are reasonably priced and of pretty good quality. They are tasty and the portions are decent, unlike the snack boxes you would get on other airlines for the same price that contain a variety of junk food.

B) Airfares have risen steadily over the last few years but not nearly as quickly as the price of oil has risen. Prior to the recent increases, fares were at an all time low when adjusted for inflation. Airfare is now, and has been for some time, a bargain when compared to the costs involved in providing it. People want bargain airfares. Most aren't concerned about the frills and are willing to pay extra for the amenities that they want. Flying is turning into what people have been asking for, pure and simple, mass transportation. It was the fares that were at a race to the bottom. Now, consumers have spoken and it's the airlines that have to catch up with the fares in that race to the south.

Obviously, there is little to differentiate the competition these days. I hope that a friendly smile and an employee going the extra mile can help differentiate Alaska from those at the bottom.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I guess I would argue that by saying that:

A) the meals that will be offered are reasonably priced and of pretty good quality. They are tasty and the portions are decent, unlike the snack boxes you would get on other airlines for the same price that contain a variety of junk food.

B) Airfares have risen steadily over the last few years but not nearly as quickly as the price of oil has risen. Prior to the recent increases, fares were at an all time low when adjusted for inflation. Airfare is now, and has been for some time, a bargain when compared to the costs involved in providing it. People want bargain airfares. Most aren't concerned about the frills and are willing to pay extra for the amenities that they want. Flying is turning into what people have been asking for, pure and simple, mass transportation. It was the fares that were at a race to the bottom. Now, consumers have spoken and it's the airlines that have to catch up with the fares in that race to the south.

Obviously, there is little to differentiate the competition these days. I hope that a friendly smile and an employee going the extra mile can help differentiate Alaska from those at the bottom.
There is a reason I am MVPG with AS. Rarely, even last summer during the worst of it, has AS done wrong by me. I was hoping you would stand up for the company and you did. Excellent!!! (And, I'm sure I will get a whoopin' from Missydarlin next time I see her )

Having watched the industry shrink their service at a rapid rate, I have always appreciated the friendly smile and an employee going the extra mile that does differentiate Alaska from those at the bottom. My point is that the differences are not very wide any more and the gap is getting narrower
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:20 pm

My point is that the differences are not very wide any more and the gap is getting narrower
You're right about that. It makes me sad too...
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
You're right about that. It makes me sad too...
I also agree. I am having trouble right now deciding whether to book a trip on WN or AS.

AS advantages:
Miles can be used to a wider variety of destinations
Assigned seating (only works if you book early and get a good seat)
Plane TENDS to be quieter than WN (not generally as many kids)

WN advantages:
No change fee
If fare goes down, re-book and keep all of the difference for future trip
No assigned seating (great if you would have had to take a middle seat on AS)

Then, there's last summer on-time fiasco to remember...

I wish AS would give me some compelling reason to fly them. Please... anything! How about on-line capabilities to make changes like WN on domestic itineraries with the ability to retain the fare difference (if the fare goes down -- even with a small penalty of, say, $20)???

I remember when AS was "the last of the great airlines". I miss those days...
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My point is that the differences are not very wide any more and the gap is getting narrower
My recent LAX/DCA RT in F was no better and probably worse than my NW and DL flights of late last year - both with respect to food quality and the AS inflight service was surprisingly much worse. It was sadly, pathetic.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I know a number of people continue to be miffed about the loss of complimentary meal service, but this is really not something recent.

Even back in the days of Regulation, some carriers offered discounted fares that did not include meals. I flew SEA-PDX-BUR on CO in 1977 on a "K" fare which did not include the meal - they put you in the back rows of the smoking or non-smoking section so they knew not to give you a meal.

And I am sure I saved more then $5-10 doing so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.