Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Questions re Companion First Class and Upgrade Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

I'm pretty new here - I post mostly in the hotel section, so please be kind if this is seen as a newbie/duh question.

Myself, hubby and our best friends are flying from Seattle to Miami in early December. Hubby and I each have a BofA Alaska Visa, so will be using our companion certificates for the flight. None of the four of us have ever flown first class - again, be kind please as we only fly a few times a year for leisure - but I am debating between simply booking all four of us first class, versus booking regular fares and then attempting to obtain upgrade coupons.

I do know that it is against Alaska's rules to sell these coupons, however, they appear quite frequently on Ebay. I also have been told on other sites that the prices may drop as the end of the year approaches. I also realize the regular posters here (I've lurked since we started our Alaska FF plan) may not have that much information as to availability of certificates, etc., as most likely have them!! But if anyone has any historical data or information, it would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k
bevvy5,

I would suggest strongly that if you WANT first class, book it with the companion ticket. Its a good deal...

Just because first class seats are available, does not mean that they will be available for using upgrade coupons. Its rare for Alaska to release 4 seats on this route for upgrade using guest mvp gold upgrade coupons.

That being said, its not impossible and yes, the "price" or more appropriately, the value of the upgrades goes down towards the end of the year.

Its complicated the way first class seats are selected for upgrade availability as opposed to holding them back for sale. On this route, they tend to hold back quite a few..I wouldn't count on 4 upgrades being available if you go the coupon route...

Originally Posted by bevvy5
I'm pretty new here - I post mostly in the hotel section, so please be kind if this is seen as a newbie/duh question.

Myself, hubby and our best friends are flying from Seattle to Miami in early December. Hubby and I each have a BofA Alaska Visa, so will be using our companion certificates for the flight. None of the four of us have ever flown first class - again, be kind please as we only fly a few times a year for leisure - but I am debating between simply booking all four of us first class, versus booking regular fares and then attempting to obtain upgrade coupons.

I do know that it is against Alaska's rules to sell these coupons, however, they appear quite frequently on Ebay. I also have been told on other sites that the prices may drop as the end of the year approaches. I also realize the regular posters here (I've lurked since we started our Alaska FF plan) may not have that much information as to availability of certificates, etc., as most likely have them!! But if anyone has any historical data or information, it would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 3, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kleeman
Just because first class seats are available, does not mean that they will be available for using upgrade coupons. Its rare for Alaska to release 4 seats on this route for upgrade using guest mvp gold upgrade coupons.

That being said, its not impossible and yes, the "price" or more appropriately, the value of the upgrades goes down towards the end of the year.

Its complicated the way first class seats are selected for upgrade availability as opposed to holding them back for sale. On this route, they tend to hold back quite a few..I wouldn't count on 4 upgrades being available if you go the coupon route...

i dont doubt that on peak days there are fewer than 2 upgrade seats available, but it is a myth that it is always like that. i checked the first week in december SEA-MIA - every day but one there were at least 7 U (upgrade) seats available. now coming back there were a few days already zeroed out, but if you are flexible you can find them.

that being said, however, they will go quickly. i agree with the idea to book at the FC rate (especially with a companion cert) - unless you have an upgrade cert in hand now.

<incidentally, if the upgrade certs go electronic next year, i think there will be a lot less of those available on ebay>
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Wow, quick responses. How does one check which flights have upgrades available? I assumed that if there were first flight seat showing available, they were obtainable using upgrades - obviously a wrong assumption. We are leaving on December 1 and returning on the 16th, out at 10:45 and back at 8:00 a.m.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bevvy5
Wow, quick responses. How does one check which flights have upgrades available? I assumed that if there were first flight seat showing available, they were obtainable using upgrades - obviously a wrong assumption. We are leaving on December 1 and returning on the 16th, out at 10:45 and back at 8:00 a.m.
no, just because first seats are available DOES NOT mean upgrades are available. they are different inventories. there are various ways to check upgrade buckets - the easiest is to look at alaskaair.com for the gold star or to call AS directly

i checked going down the 1st and coming back the 16th - they are showing 2 upgrade seats down and 0 upgrade seats coming back. that is the weekend, so it will be much harder. better availability. if you truly want first class, i would purchase the FC fare (which you can do with the companion cert).
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
another point here is that on that route (i fly it a tons) upgrade seats are rarely released in bunches, meaning, they are very controlled and it is very hard to find more than 2 upgrade seats available (if even) at a time, and once those seats go, then in the future maybe one other will pop up, but my point is, finding 4 available at any point in time is very difficult. So, you might end up with not everyone in your party upgraded, maybe you guys can split it up, 2 on the way down and 2 on the way back hehe otherwise yeah i'd stick with just purchasing F
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for the input. We've decided to simply "splurge" and go first class!! We're all very much looking forward to it, and again, thanks very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.