Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-CUN, PDX-PVR/SJD nonstops coming

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2006, 11:51 am
Original Poster

SEA-CUN, PDX-PVR/SJD nonstops coming

Web Traveler, this should make you a little happy...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060526/sff029.html?.v=47

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 26, 2006

ALASKA AIRLINES FILES FOR ADDITIONAL NONSTOP FLIGHTS
BETWEEN PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND MEXICO

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines has applied to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for authority to fly nonstop between Seattle and Cancún, Mexico, and between Portland, Ore., and the Mexican resort destinations of Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta. If approved, the new seasonal flights will operate, beginning this year, from the end of October to the end of April.
The airline plans to offer nonstop service four days a week between Seattle and Cancún, and Portland and Los Cabos, and three days a week between Portland and Puerto Vallarta.
“Because of the popularity of these markets with travelers looking for a winter break, we’re hoping to expand our nonstop service between the Pacific Northwest and Mexico,” said John MacLeod, Alaska’s managing director of planning and alliances. “This is part of our ongoing investment in our growing route system in Mexico and will give our customers more options to fly our award-winning service.”
A DOT decision on the new routes is expected in June.
Alaska Airlines introduced service to Mexico in 1988. During its winter schedule, the airline operates 38 flights daily serving nine Mexican destinations, including Cancún, Guadalajara, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Loreto, Los Cabos, Manzanillo/Costa Alegre, Mazatlán, Mexico City and Puerto Vallarta.
Alaska Airlines and sister carrier, Horizon Air, together serve 88 cities through an expansive network throughout Alaska, the Lower 48, Canada and Mexico. For reservations visit alaskaair.com. For more news and information, visit the Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air newsroom at http://newsroom.alaskaair.com.

Last edited by AS Flyer; May 26, 2006 at 12:06 pm
Old May 26, 2006, 12:09 pm

New service from Portland! Is it true...! This should spark a good discussion! Getting to PVR in Feb just got a LOT easier!
Old May 26, 2006, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by johnp012001
New service from Portland! Is it true...! This should spark a good discussion! Getting to PVR in Feb just got a LOT easier!
Yep it is true for AS is begin longer flight nonstop from SEA-CUN. How they do that ETOP from SEA-CUN more than 4 hours flight. It is 2,685 miles to CUN. But, I check on the Great Circle Mapper has to say about longer flight to CUN for 4 or 5 hours. It is too much for me overwater to CUN. Does AS will put on their B737-800 or 900??
Old May 26, 2006, 2:24 pm

SEA-CUN is not an ETOPS flight.
Only about 90 minutes is over water...45min from either shore.
Old May 26, 2006, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yep it is true for AS is begin longer flight nonstop from SEA-CUN. How they do that ETOP from SEA-CUN more than 4 hours flight. It is 2,685 miles to CUN. But, I check on the Great Circle Mapper has to say about longer flight to CUN for 4 or 5 hours. It is too much for me overwater to CUN. Does AS will put on their B737-800 or 900??
The SEA-CUN flight is mostly over land... only about 750 miles over water... about the same over water distance when flying LAX-CUN direct.
Old May 26, 2006, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPIT
The SEA-CUN flight is mostly over land... only about 750 miles over water... about the same over water distance when flying LAX-CUN direct.
Yeah, It may to be right time about overwater from LAX-CUN. Does AS will put on aircraft with B737-900 for nonstop from SEA-CUN? Is the daytime or nighttime to take red-eyes from SEA-CUN.
Old May 26, 2006, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tracon
SEA-CUN is not an ETOPS flight.
Only about 90 minutes is over water...45min from either shore.
You're right. How long does the flight from SEA-CUN? Is that 5 or 6 hours get there to CUN?
Old May 26, 2006, 4:27 pm
Suspended

I find it interesting that the schedule provided to the DOT shows a next day return for SEA-CUN every day except Thursday. They've scheduled enough time for an immediate turn, so this seems to be either poor aircraft utilization or indication that another flight to CUN will be added very soon.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p85/399665.pdf
Old May 26, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Web Traveler, this should make you a little happy...
Oh my goodness, someone at Alaska is awake at the switch afterall. That is good news. Not destinations I travel often, but its something of value from Alaska. If we fill it, more flights may come as well, so its definately good news.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Oh my goodness, someone at Alaska is awake at the switch afterall. That is good news. Not destinations I travel often, but its something of value from Alaska. If we fill it, more flights may come as well, so its definately good news.
If I was a betting man, I would say that PDX will see some additional growth over the next year. I think these flights will do quite well and not have a problem filling them up. This is good news, as well, for those that travel PDX-LAX as those flights will have a few more seats available since less people will need to connect at LAX to get to these destinations.
Old May 27, 2006, 1:08 am

makes me happy... looking forward to a mexican winterbreak! Nonstops from PDX will definitely rock...

I wonder if this will initiate an overall expansion of int'l flights from pdx...
Old May 27, 2006, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS
Hey....

how do I change my ticket that I have now??? We are flying Nov. 17th-24th with stops in LAX (yuk). Would LOVE to go non-stop!
Can I find out when these flight will actually go on sale?
Old May 27, 2006, 3:55 pm

Count me as another happy customer. I loved CUN (well, the area south of it anyway), but hated having to change planes. Flying direct is definitely going to make it more competitive, imo.
Old May 27, 2006, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
We aim to please...told you not to rule out PDX.
Old May 28, 2006, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by RASMguy
We aim to please...told you not to rule out PDX.
I am still looking for PDX-ORD. That would be my choice to help connect the existing dots. Anything like this in the works?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.