Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
Seattle Times Interview with Bill Ayer

Interesting read:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm..._alaska05.html
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I note Ayer says that Menzies hasn't been able to get fully staffed the whole time they've been operating for AS. Doesn't surprise me given the wait times for luggage at SEA. (Yes I've harped on this before but here is some official evidence that service is worse since Menzies at SEA.) I wonder how often Ayer checks his bag.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Menzies is probably a bit understaffed. It even said in the article that they've had 50% turnover since starting. Considering what they pay and considering the nature of the job, it's no wonder they have trouble attracting and retaining people. But, as Missy mentioned, AS could really use more baggage carrousel space. Alaska/Horizon have 50% passenger marketshare at SEA, but they only have access to 3 out of 16 baggage carrousels at the airport. Two of their carrousels have double bag chutes, although I think some used by the other airlines do as well. Overall, just seems like AS should be able to spread out a bit more. The baggage at SEA was slow at peak hours before Menzies took over, and it appears to have only gotten slower since. So, while Menzies staffing may be an issue, I think a lot of it has to do with the volume of bags.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by EIPremier
Alaska/Horizon have 50% passenger marketshare at SEA, but they only have access to 3 out of 16 baggage carrousels at the airport.
Keep in mind a bunch of those are connecting. I've flown AS many times thru SEA, but I've never once left the SEA airport when flying AS.

With that said, 3 out of 16 for their hub seems very low.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:45 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
AS is understaffed in SEA as well. They are trying to hire 100 more CSA's in SEA to get ready for the summer.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:58 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by EIPremier
Menzies is probably a bit understaffed. It even said in the article that they've had 50% turnover since starting. Considering what they pay and considering the nature of the job, it's no wonder they have trouble attracting and retaining people. But, as Missy mentioned, AS could really use more baggage carrousel space. Alaska/Horizon have 50% passenger marketshare at SEA, but they only have access to 3 out of 16 baggage carrousels at the airport. Two of their carrousels have double bag chutes, although I think some used by the other airlines do as well. Overall, just seems like AS should be able to spread out a bit more. The baggage at SEA was slow at peak hours before Menzies took over, and it appears to have only gotten slower since. So, while Menzies staffing may be an issue, I think a lot of it has to do with the volume of bags.
Your logic makes sense, but my emperical observations do not support it. On several of the few (I know that sounds convoluted) occasions I checked a bag on AS I've noticed three - four flights' baggage coming on one carousel while the other remains idle. While there may be legitmate operation reasons for this, my guess is the limited personnel prevents them for fully using all the carousels they have.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Keep in mind a bunch of those are connecting. I've flown AS many times thru SEA, but I've never once left the SEA airport when flying AS.

With that said, 3 out of 16 for their hub seems very low.
The correct question is: What percentage of SEA O&D passengers does AS have? That would determine the proper allocation of baggage claims.

Also, anyone who has lived in a airline hub city (I've lived in two) knows that the bag claims serve multiple flights. That's just part of the "benefit" of a hub city. When and if it becomes a problem for AS, I'm sure that they will fuss with the Port of Seattle. All they have to say is "Remember Boeing Field"
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:19 am

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by wth
On several of the few (I know that sounds convoluted) occasions I checked a bag on AS I've noticed three - four flights' baggage coming on one carousel while the other remains idle.
The Port Of Seattle is doing a bunch of construction and the primary conveyor belt that feeds carousel 14 is out of service.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jwright
The Port Of Seattle is doing a bunch of construction and the primary conveyor belt that feeds carousel 14 is out of service.
The Port of Seattle is GOOD at spending money and making a total mess of the airport. Someone needs to tell them to slow down the spending a bit.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Originally Posted by wth
On several of the few (I know that sounds convoluted) occasions I checked a bag on AS I've noticed three - four flights' baggage coming on one carousel while the other remains idle.
I've noticed this myself, though I didn't find that in and of itself peculiar. The last two times I checked bags the flight number was displayed over the wrong carousel.

What I found funny was that several other groups of people waiting were b!tching about Menzies and the slow service. If I was in a management position at AS I would get on top of this ASAP. Why would it be okay to have such low expectations of their business?
Old Mar 16, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by formeraa
The Port of Seattle is GOOD at spending money and making a total mess of the airport. Someone needs to tell them to slow down the spending a bit.
It isn't a frivolous project. It is security related.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 3:14 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
Originally Posted by Dudemon
I've noticed this myself, though I didn't find that in and of itself peculiar. The last two times I checked bags the flight number was displayed over the wrong carousel.

I've noticed this as well. That and the fact that the overhead postings are often delayed. That is the baggage is often coming out before the Flight # is posted.

Lesson: Don't always rely on the overhead signs and check the carousels even if a flight isn't posted. Better yet, avoid checking bags if at all possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.