Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Communication from MP re: fewer miles needed to requalify?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 2002-2005

A few years ago, I received a postcard from AK MP, saying that they noticed I was a few thousand miles short of re-qualifying for MVP status. It was some sort of deal--instead of having to fly the 3000 miles or so I needed, I had only to fly 2 more segments (or something--I forget the details). Anyhow, I know I followed their advice and qualified, and the last 2 years or so I haven't been close to NOT qualifying. . . until now. I am going to be about 4000 miles short, and I was hoping they had that "deal" again. The MVP phone operators told me to call the MP customer service, which I will do. However, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone else knew about this.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I can't believe it's already Dec 13, and I am so far away . . .
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:18 am

i'm barely on the opposite side of the spectrum this year. I will qualify by a meager 112 miles. My last qualifying flight will be Dec. 27th to get my to MVPG.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by calicopoppy
A few years ago, I received a postcard from AK MP, saying that they noticed I was a few thousand miles short of re-qualifying for MVP status. It was some sort of deal--instead of having to fly the 3000 miles or so I needed, I had only to fly 2 more segments (or something--I forget the details). Anyhow, I know I followed their advice and qualified, and the last 2 years or so I haven't been close to NOT qualifying. . . until now. I am going to be about 4000 miles short, and I was hoping they had that "deal" again. The MVP phone operators told me to call the MP customer service, which I will do. However, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone else knew about this.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I can't believe it's already Dec 13, and I am so far away . . .
I haven't heard anything. I was 1151 miles short, so I did a Bay Area to PDX mileage run, with my return routed via SEA, on Sunday.

It was a nice day in Portland, although a bit nippy for walking around.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Talked to MP customer rep on 12/14

I just called the MVP "hotline" to the MP, and she immediately knew what I was asking about and said they haven't heard yet if AK will offer a promotion (fly x miles before 12/31 and make MVP) this year yet. I know that when I heard of this promotion in the past (I think it was fall 2002), I got a postcard early--like october or maybe early november. She said they haven't been told yet if there will be any leeway, so they've been told to tell us hopeful MVPs to fly as much as we can.

So, I guess that's my answer! There's only 17 days left to fly anyhow.

Now, anyone willing to help a poor, confused english professor try to fly 3365 miles before Tuesday? Sigh . . . I thought not.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Platinum, AA Platinum
Only 2500 more needed

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat this year. I need 2500 miles to retain my MVPG status and am quickly running out of time. I called the MVP desk yesterday and they said that they don't know of any leeway this year.

Wish I could take those extra 20k miles I flew last year or get credit for all my Continental flights that my company insisted on
Old Dec 14, 2005, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Originally Posted by calicopoppy
Now, anyone willing to help a poor, confused english professor try to fly 3365 miles before Tuesday? Sigh . . . I thought not.
Thanks for your info in the other thread.

Assuming you're in Seattle, I turned up a $256 r/t nonstop on DL, SEA-JFK, Sat-Sun, Sun-Mon, Sat-Sun, your choice of flight times. Shop for a day in NY, and get your status.

Just don't put a Skymiles number in the reservation, then try to get them to swap in your AS number. Half the time it won't work, and your miles will go to Skymiles instead.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by terriba
Unfortunately, I am in the same boat this year. I need 2500 miles to retain my MVPG status and am quickly running out of time. I called the MVP desk yesterday and they said that they don't know of any leeway this year.

Wish I could take those extra 20k miles I flew last year or get credit for all my Continental flights that my company insisted on
If those CO flights were this year you should be able to credit them to your AS account.... I think they go back 6 months for credit.

Rainwolf
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Originally Posted by Rainwolf
If those CO flights were this year you should be able to credit them to your AS account.... I think they go back 6 months for credit.
But not credit toward MVP/G elite status - unless they were CO-coded flights on NW or DL metal - which is what he wants.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I will be 2,300 miles short for MVPG. I fly out of SEA. If AS doesn't have any leeway this year, any advice for a last minute MR ? Thanks !

BW
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:25 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
2454T 17DEC SEAPDX 800P 842P
600T 17DEC PDXLAS 932P 1138P
605T 18DEC LASPDX 800A 1018A
2200T 18DEC PDXSEA 1100A 1159A

T03JN4 238.80 all in over 2500 miles
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1P, USAIR Gold, HP Gold, AS MVP(G), Best West Dia, Mexicana Exec, AA Nada
I will be about 5000 short because of 2 canceled flight. Nov 16th and December 6th. Makes me kinda mad. I hope Alaska will cut some slack, there is no way I can get away at this time of year. (Family would kill me)
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:27 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Thanks Missy. Great iternary, but family in town this weekend, so can't run away. I'll have a business trip (on AS) next week, so I'll see if I can find something the week after Christmas, knowing it will be tough. Happy Holiday to you and all broad members !

BW
Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Glad to know others are in the same boat.

As for the help with a MR, I have one tentatively planned for sunday--I am in spokane so GEG-SEA-SAN-SEA-GEG, all in one day, for 3102 miles. I'll be 200 or so short (or so I think--I have a hard time with the Alaska miles versus Alaska and partner miles), but I am hoping that's good enough.

Any ideas for another, slightly longer (and under $300) MR, all on Sunday?

Tracey
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Platinum, AA Platinum
AS50 to retain MVP Status

Calicopoppy if you are willing to use some of your miles to retain status you might look at the following for December 18th (Sunday)

AS87 GEG 6:00 SEA 7:05
AS20 SEA 8:45 ORD 14:48
AS23 ORD 15:50 SEA 18:34
AS15 SEA 22:10 GEG 23:05

Total cost $179.80 + 15,000 miles.
Total miles for EQM 3864

I am doing a similar trip to keep my status (and have dinner with my brother in Chicago )
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:10 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by nightmare339
I will be about 5000 short because of 2 canceled flight. Nov 16th and December 6th. Makes me kinda mad. I hope Alaska will cut some slack, there is no way I can get away at this time of year. (Family would kill me)
One reason I had to go through SEA on my PDX run was getting rebooked onto AC earlier this year. AA will usually give credit for the original itinerary when they do this, but my request to AS went unanswered.

I would have been less than 100 miles short without the SEA connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.