55 Minutes For a Bag at SEA

Old Sep 29, 05, 12:01 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
55 Minutes For a Bag at SEA

The title says it all. That baloney will catch up with them. Incidentally, have you seen the ramp crews? Looks like they are competing with the Elephant Carwash for talent.
Old Sep 29, 05, 12:14 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Gold - Hertz PC - BW Diamond - IHG Plat
I'd Never wait that long for a "Bag"

I'd call someone else......

Junkie-
Old Sep 29, 05, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deelmakur
The title says it all. That baloney will catch up with them.
It already has. Just the possibility of this fills the bins to capacity on full flights. AS needs some sort of guarantee to get around this problem.
Old Sep 29, 05, 8:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
No offense but I think that FF's do this to themselves when they CHOOSE to check baggage. The expectation should be one hour. If the bags come sooner - well than that is a bonus. The infrequent leisure traveler who has lots of time to kill and gets to the airport 2 1/2 hours early - that is who should be checking bags. Once again leave those fingernail clippers at home and get a bag that fits in the overhead.
I once got a dirty look from a businessman during boarding on his way back to coach because my bag was unusually overstuffed for just a weekend flight. I would love to see that guy have to go to baggage claim as he waits and waits and waits.
Old Sep 29, 05, 8:44 am

Don't complain until you try out Canada's National Embarrassment at YYZ....
Old Sep 29, 05, 11:03 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Baggage delays were a problem with AS at SEA before the new workers, correct? I've always made sure to have only carryon when flying AS...I think I might snap if I had to wait nearly an hour for luggage.
Old Sep 29, 05, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ericsea
Baggage delays were a problem with AS at SEA before the new workers, correct? I've always made sure to have only carryon when flying AS...I think I might snap if I had to wait nearly an hour for luggage.
Baggage in SEA has been slow as long as I can remember. On the rare occassions I check bags, I usually have time to take the carry on stuff to the car and get coffee before the bags arrive on the belt.

Last edited by sxf24; Sep 29, 05 at 2:32 pm
Old Sep 29, 05, 11:31 am

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Where did the flight arrive from, what type of plane was it, and how many passengers were on it?
Old Sep 29, 05, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titan, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
Originally Posted by ericsea
My experience is that it is worse than before. The FAs used to say at the end of the flight that bags could be claimed in 15 or 20 minutes, and it was often true. I had a long wait a couple of weeks ago and have heard complaints from others as well. I don't recall the FA making any "predictions" on that last flight, which was smart.
Old Sep 29, 05, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titan, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
Originally Posted by westcoastman
No offense but I think that FF's do this to themselves when they CHOOSE to check baggage. The expectation should be one hour. If the bags come sooner - well than that is a bonus. The infrequent leisure traveler who has lots of time to kill and gets to the airport 2 1/2 hours early - that is who should be checking bags. Once again leave those fingernail clippers at home and get a bag that fits in the overhead.
I once got a dirty look from a businessman during boarding on his way back to coach because my bag was unusually overstuffed for just a weekend flight. I would love to see that guy have to go to baggage claim as he waits and waits and waits.
Wow. I don't think I could disagree with you more, on several counts. But hey, different strokes.
Old Sep 29, 05, 12:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Starwood Plt, Marriott Silver, Others
While we are all aware of the problems at AS and the tough transition to Menzies ramp agents, have other carriers had slowdowns at SEA recently?
Old Sep 29, 05, 2:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Alaska 2F
While we are all aware of the problems at AS and the tough transition to Menzies ramp agents, have other carriers had slowdowns at SEA recently?
I have flown America West recently and waited approximately 30-40 minutes for luggage at SEA. Normally, it seems that 25-35 minutes is about right. The only time that it is faster is when you are on the last in-bound flight of the night in SEA. Then, HP's baggage handlers are REAL fast (maybe 15-20 minutes)!!!
Old Sep 29, 05, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastman
Oh, that was you? Don't worry, I made it out of baggage claim just fine...and I even survived sitting in coach!
Old Sep 29, 05, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75, UA Prem Plat, LH Silver
I haven't checked bags for years. Even on overseas week-long trips I take one rollercase that fits overhead and a small "personal item". Laptop's in the big case.

I hate waiting for bags.
Old Sep 29, 05, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Not Just Seattle

I waited 45 minutes for half of my luggage in SEA on Saturday (flight from ANC) and another 15 minutes for the other half. The problem is not limited to SEA. It can take 30 to 40 minutes to get your luggage in FAI, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Search this Thread